BSUNY spring show

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice Hornbeam (?) forest. Is the 4th pic of a Montpelier Maple? If so, it's the best one I've seen. They are slow and hard to ramify. Thanks for sharing Gary.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, that was a hornbeam forest, looked like Korean hornbeam. Not sure about the maple, I don't remember what the tag said.

Here's a few more photos from the show. Gary, it was good meeting you! Hope you found a tree (or trees) to add to your collection.

Same hornbeam group from a slightly different angle.

bshow00.jpg

Small maple (koto hime? not sure) group that was part of a shohin display.

bshow01.jpg

Larch...I believe this is "Stumpy" that @twisted trees has posted before.

bshow02.jpg

Juniper, shimpaku? Not sure.

bshow03.jpg

Pine...again not sure, possibly Scots.

bshow04.jpg

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, some really, seriously nice trees at this show. I especially love that full moon maple (second photo) with that amazing bark and that incredible 'stumpy' larch! But all of them are outstanding examples!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, that was a hornbeam forest, looked like Korean hornbeam. Not sure about the maple, I don't remember what the tag said.

Here's a few more photos from the show. Gary, it was good meeting you! Hope you found a tree (or trees) to add to your collection.

Same hornbeam group from a slightly different angle.

View attachment 192977

Small maple (koto hime? not sure) group that was part of a shohin display.

View attachment 192978

Larch...I believe this is "Stumpy" that @twisted trees has posted before.

View attachment 192979

Juniper, shimpaku? Not sure.

View attachment 192980

Pine...again not sure, possibly Scots.

View attachment 192981
The pine is a white and won the club's Peoples Choice award. Bob Blankfield is the artist.

The Shimpaku belongs. To Joe Noga our world class bonsai photographer and the tree was recently featured on Bonsai Bark. Tyler Sherrod wired and refined it for him.

The Koto hime was created and styled by Bill Valavanis and is about 12" tall.

Last edited:

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The pine is a white and won the club's Peoples Choice award. Bob Blankfield is the artist.

The Shimpaku belongs. To Joe Noga our world class bonsai photographer and the tree was recently featured on Bonsai Bark. Tyler Sherrod wired and refined it for him.

Next time I'm going to hire you as my guide to walk me around the show and give me "the scoop" on each tree :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Next time I'm going to hire you as my guide to walk me around the show and give me "the scoop" on each tree :)
At the National this is done. A number of the best artists in America give free guided tours. Perhaps we could do this as well.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
At the National this is done. A number of the best artists in America give free guided tours. Perhaps we could do this as well.
It’s done at BIB, too. We don’t stop and discuss every tree, but if someone asks about one we weren’t going to ask about, I’ll stop and talk about it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

The little forest is 12 inches tall? In the Shohin display?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The national show in Rochester, NY this September will be my first national show. I'd LOVE one of those guided tours.
You're gonna love the show! The guided tours/critiques were very popular last time, I tried to get in on one on Saturday (I think it was Boon) but it was so crowded, I couldn't get close enough to hear what was being said. Tried again on Sunday afternoon with Kathy Shaner and it was much better, less crowded and I got the chance to hear her tear apart @Adair M 's black pine. Watching the look on his face was worth the price of admission (just kidding, she wasn't that harsh :) ).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The little forest is 12 inches tall? In the Shohin display?
Ok, perhaps I'm not as tired or goofy today.

The pine in the COH's first post is a RAF dwarf Scots pine. Very rare. The artist is Steve Kozlowski. He has created some fantastic trees over a thirty year period but is very low key. It's amazing how many cool trees are in people's private collections that are kept, well, private.

The Koto Hime forest is 9" tall.

This is my crappy cell phone's rendition of the award-winning white pine.20180520_132128.jpg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're gonna love the show! The guided tours/critiques were very popular last time, I tried to get in on one on Saturday (I think it was Boon) but it was so crowded, I couldn't get close enough to hear what was being said. Tried again on Sunday afternoon with Kathy Shaner and it was much better, less crowded and I got the chance to hear her tear apart @Adair M 's black pine. Watching the look on his face was worth the price of admission (just kidding, she wasn't that harsh :) ).
I think she said I needed to color the decandled stubs with brown magic marker! The sap dries kinda white, so the little stubs (or cut ends because I removed any actual stub) show.

Kathy doesn’t like my wiring. Says it’s too tight! That wire had been on there for three years! (Kathy wires VERY loose, by the way. So loose, it actually doesn’t touch the branch! I’m not sure how wire that doesn’t touch is able to bend a branch, but she says it does! Lol!)

Reactions: coh

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think she said I needed to color the decandled stubs with brown magic marker! The sap dries kinda white, so the little stubs (or cut ends because I removed any actual stub) show.
Yep, I remember that! Don't remember the comments about the wiring so well, but I've seen her wire a variety of trees. She definitely likes to wire the deciduous ones loosely and then twist the branches pretty severely. I don't think that technique would work too well on pines.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yep, I remember that! Don't remember the comments about the wiring so well, but I've seen her wire a variety of trees. She definitely likes to wire the deciduous ones loosely and then twist the branches pretty severely. I don't think that technique would work too well on pines.
She does the same with juniper, I can tell you that! I’ve never seen her work a pine. I actually try NOT to twist a pine! We have different styles, I suppose!

She gave a demo for the Atlanta bonsai society, and was given a pretty rough juniper to work on. She had me help her clean it before wiring. And then when she started wiring she worked on one side of the tree, and I wired a couple branches on the other. Then she told me the wire was too tight! So, I can’t change my ways, I let her wire it. I did other stuff like cleaning the downward foliage.

Top Bottom