BT bandwidth?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I was just about to post that this really has nothing to do with a person. He can appoint other people to do this work that want to volunteer to help the forum. Some of these decisions, like telling everyone to upload their pictures instead of embedding them, is a conscience decision by someone that does have time for it. I look at a donation in cases like this as a payment for providing me with a service and an investment into the future of the community. With these types of indicators though, who would invest in that business?

You may be right. Like Starbucks stock.;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
A lot of innuendos and false assumptions to set straight....

...or is this so misleading that an actual REAL number cannot be ascertained from this useless information in this discussion since it has no relevance to bandwidth usage anyway?
What I said was "hits" and that is what I meant, "hits" ....while hits may well be tallied in numerous ways, they all use bandwidth. It is only useless to those not in the know, but let me throw some other numbers at you Al.

Last month, AoB had:
1528913 hits
1502915 files
30041 pages
18924 visits
75979218 kbytes

Kinda slow, but still nothing to sneeze at. Our membership is a mere 500 and some odd people, yet we are viewed world wide, as the 231 entries from 25 countries in the Awards plainly show. Oh yes, no ads, no banners.....

How is this number derived?
Is there anyone else that can back this up?
Directly from the server Al, and yes, any editor can back this up, not that we have a thing to prove to you.

If this is true, (highly doubtful)
Doubt all you want Al, it's true and factual.

I have recieved emails (that was plural) from AoB and KoB asking for donations in the past so I think in all fairness all the forums must occasionaly ask for funds to achieve certain goals.
I have seen every email sent out by AoB, I never seen one asking for donations. Maybe I am wrong, "Is there anyone else that can back this up?"

I guess I'll sum this up with your own admission, "I have no idea about how internet sites work...." and say, I do.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Inter-forum drama aside, as I am not interested in the waste of time known as forum politics...

You are a wise man and the thoughts on helping BT you posted were logical and to the point.

Will

Ozzy

Seedling
Reaction score
Here is a chart from my website that tracks usage, and this link http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/webalizer_help.html explains how to read those statistics, it may help to understand how all this hits, bandwidths and visits stuff works, alternatively you may be even more confused after reading it ... like I was. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• hits.jpg
    hits.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 23

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last month, AoB had:
1528913 hits
1502915 files
30041 pages
18924 visits
75979218 kbytes

Will

I still have no idea how the interent works, since I am too busy making quality bonsai to worry about such things, (thats what we have you for;) )but since your throwing numbers around...

Whats the difference between hits and visits. The visits number looks pretty good to me. That I would buy.

I love you, Al

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Al,

the number of visits gives an indication how many different real people bothered to click onto the site. It is not exactly the number. The exact number is a bit smaller for various reasons (same person at different times, same person from different computers, robots which are automatically searching the internet and which re not real folks) So the average number per day for AOB seems to be between 500 and 700 folks per day. This is remarkable traffic for a site where little happens from day to day. The "visits" is the most important number in my eyes.

The number of hits gives an indication of what folks who clicked onto the page actually did. It is like on TV. You click through the channels and hit many just a second or so. On some you stop for a while and on some you spend a long time. All got clicks for the page but only a few got many hits, meaning looking at a lot.

An interesting number is the average stay time. It is only several seconds on average for most sites. If the average stay time is long this means that folks are really reading and looking at images. A couple of minutes on average would be very much. How often did you go to AOB only to realize that there is nothing new? I do this several times per day. I count as one visitor I assume. It takes me a couple of seconds to find out that there is nothing new. But sometimes there is and then I may well spend more than ten minutes there. Lets take 19 visits with 5 seconds and one with 495 seconds. This makes 500 divided by 20: 25 seconds average stay time. So an average stay time of several minutes would be enormous.

Still confused?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still have no idea how the interent works, since I am too busy making quality bonsai to worry about such things, (thats what we have you for;) )

Yeah, I'm all that and I do real bonsai as a bonus, haven't gotten around to buying them yet though, (thats what we have you for;) )

Walter is very educated on how the Internet works, his site is most likely the most visited bonsai site on the web and for good reason, his bonsai are truly amazing and they serve as an inspiration to all. His explanation of the numbers is spot on and he is correct about "stay time."

Love you too,

Will

Last edited:

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
OK now that, that is over, all of you out there find some loose change and donate to your favourite
forums. put back some of what you take out. It doesn't hurt a bit i promise no needles, no lubricated gloves and no yucky medicine.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Rick , you're absolutely right. Our two posts are the ONLY posts to BN today. So much time is taken up with this kind of crap ! Where are the trees ?? Where are the comments , critiques , advice , ect. It's getting to the point where there isn't much point logging in here more than once a week.
Dwight

PS sorry , I just had to get that off my belly ( where my chest has gone )

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rick , you're absolutely right. Our two posts are the ONLY posts to BN today. So much time is taken up with this kind of crap ! Where are the trees ?? Where are the comments , critiques , advice , ect. It's getting to the point where there isn't much point logging in here more than once a week.
Dwight

PS sorry , I just had to get that off my belly ( where my chest has gone )

Dwight, you should post to BT, there is so much going on over there that they run out of bandwidth each month!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...but at least he won't need rubber boots;)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
...but at least he won't need rubber boots;)

I'll have to bow to your experience with wading though places where boots are needed, as you are far more qualified than I am in this area of expertise.

Will

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, yes, I remember why I stopped posting here.

Come on Chris, I come here everyday, so far this is the only thread with any new posts on it!
Everybody loves an exchange.

BTW, those that cry the loudest about the lack of bonsai discussions, never post anything to discuss. That seems to be a trend wherever I go.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
BTW, those that cry the loudest about the lack of bonsai discussions, never post anything to discuss. That seems to be a trend wherever I go.

Now wait just a darn minute pilgrem , I've started TWO new threads in the last few days !!!!! Does that mean I can or can't whine about inane conversations on a bonsai forumn that is dedicated to furthering the art of bonsai ?

BTW , Al , I have posted stuff on BT , BI , even Bonsaisite and none of them felt quite like home , disfunctional as it is

Top Bottom