Bucida spinosa 2 semi cascade boogaloo

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Another bucida! This one was a bit stagnant and after learning about soil composition, I decided to get it out of the fine akadama/cocopeat and get it in a training pot with pumice to give it more aeration and vigor this summer.
IMG_0672 cropped.png
Some potential opportunities here, semi cascade is going to be the go to design style to detract from the straight trunk. Bucidas grow in an interesting hexagonal pattern, with verticals emerging from flat pads, so I can create movement in 12-18 months by using one of the top branches' vertical and allowing it to ramify. They execute "autopads", then one can fine tune and create separation, etc
IMG_0673 cropped.png
IMG_0676.JPG4 independent pad layers that can be wired later in sequence!
Now onto the repot!IMG_0677.JPGNot bad nebari. This one is a sibling of the other 3 I have been posting, it has a similar two legged trunk.IMG_0680.JPGInto the training pot! lots of pumice, keeping the original akadama and cocopeat root ball. raked the exterior and cut the taproot.IMG_0681.JPGSome leftover hyuga pumice and akadama that i mixed into that bag last year for top dressing. I want to keep those surface roots happy.IMG_0684.JPGFront is nebari focused, I plan on wrapping that cascade branch closer to the viewer and letting it extend, later on I'll figure out the pot config, I just want a rectangular mass of roots to happen!IMG_0685.JPGSphagnum topped for summer proofing and to keep the surface roots from drying out
IMG_0686.JPGOnto the partial shade pedestal areaIMG_0687.JPGpumice smiley face for comedic effect.

Top Bottom