Bucida Spinosa Care

Captkingdom

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I went into a local nursery looking for a tropical to play with, intending to buy a willow leaf ficus. However I sort of became enamored with this B. Spinosa for $17.50. I know nothing about its care in spite of searching this site quite thoroughly. Can anyone give any advice or styling ideas?
I have read in a few places (but not a majority) that it is semi-decidious, whatever that means, and that a <68 degree dormancy period should be given. Is this info correct?

As you can see from the pictures it has a bit of a kneeling nebari issue, which I intend to correct.20151128_171507.jpg20151128_171749.jpg
I plan to wrap the base of the trunk and nebari in sphagnum moss to encourage more roots near the split and later do some pruning there. Thoughts?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grows in the Bahamas, and you can also check their winter low and for how long per day.

On my side, grows easily, freely draining soil, and our low is around 68 deg.F for say 5 to 8 hrs, once in a while after Christmas until February/March.
But more normally 70 deg.F High around 86 deg.F for about 30 minutes.
Seems to naturally rest, likes full sun.
Here is one that is about 23 years. It was the ugly one and the last of set brought in from Miami.
Good Day
Anthony

to work.JPG

Top Bottom