Bucket-o-ficus then and now

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I bought this pot of variegated ficus benjamina in October of 2015.
P1090431.jpg

I pulled out 9 separate plants, gave away 6 that were uninteresting as possible bonsai, and air-layered one. So this is what I have now.

DSCF8569.jpg
DSCF8570.jpg
DSCF8567.jpg
DSCF8511.jpg

The last plant I will grow out and take cuttings from.
Thanks for looking..

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bought this pot of variegated ficus benjamina in October of 2015.

Life! Crystal bought a pot of 2 in 2015 and so far ok too. Weird thing here is they grow far better in the Winter inside :confused: Yours look good though in a pretty short time !

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've noticed that, too. My indoor, winter climate is much more tropical-like than the summer dry heat.

Odd here as the Summer months are pretty humid, often over 90 while the plant room has low areas at 45, 50, 55 percent and other areas of 60 and 65 percent. Seems they like lower and uniform.

Grimmy

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Coming out nicely, i will trunk chop my ficus next spring so hope to get couple of good cuttings as well, how thick were branches when you root them ?

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I tried to root variagated Benjaminas with no success. I pulled these out of the original pot with roots. I would recommend air layer instead.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Interesting effect of the variegation, the trees look sun-drenched, or like they are being hit by splotches of sunshine if one just glaces at the photo.

To me this is a nice effect, I will have to look look for a variegated benjamina myself.

Top Bottom