Bud Break 2021

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, if you’re reading this, you made it through 2020 ... it wasn’t always pretty ... but we made it. Hopefully your trees did too!

Here’s to a great growing season in 2021, and what better way to kick it off than with some spring growth photos. Yes, yes....it’s still early. But I know some of you greenhouse junkies and warm climate dwellers have some plants starting to move. So let’s see them!

Here’s a shohin hawthorn just budding out in my sunroom. I just purchased this tree and it came from Florida, so it definitely couldn’t go outside or in the garage! No worries - Ive got probably close to 100 plants in this room with a large south window and they all love it.

5F1B7467-1E5B-4F01-B15C-DB5BBDD4FD63.jpeg

Cheers!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My hawthorn is still asleep...in the coldgreenhouse. But...alas, my Florida ones which winter in a solid cold environment there...wake early. Just repotted my bald cypress yesterday. With tips of new green peaking at me. You may find this one wakes early next spring. So keep an eye on it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That means nothing here...my friend's son seen here. You see ones out all the time in shorts...with cold temps and snow. One friend got frostbite.
View attachment 353796
Guess that's better than going out in sleeping clothes and rubber boots like I just did. Worse yet, I was hosing clay off pottery tools after I thawed the hose out.
Boy is this ever off topic.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No budding out here right now. Snowed here this morning and 2 or 3 days ago.
Even my BRT and ficus seem to be sleepy as they usually are this time of year despite being under lights in my basement.

Feb11-2021.jpg

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here’s another one that recently came into my possession. It is currently raging away in the sunroom, anxiously awaiting it’s queue to hit the dance floor for the Bonsai Shuffle when it’s warm enough outside:
D0884BDE-1849-4E9E-A2AF-DDC65708C460.jpeg
Since I picked up this elm in early January I’ve repotted into a training pot into 100% akadama, branch selection, wired it out, and it’s blasting full steam ahead. I can basically watch this one grow. And if nothing else it’s a bunch of fun to have something to work on while everything else is fast asleep outside.

Top Bottom