Bud Swelling on Conifers

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hello All! Most of my horticulture experience with trees centers around deciduous. I am fairly new to bonsai and conifers. It is my understanding that you want to repot/root work conifers similar to deciduous at bud swell. Does anyone have a photo example of what optimum time looks like on conifers? Specifically pine, but I welcome others too 😀 Thank you!!!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Not a picture, but if I say they start to shine in a metallic color, that's when they're about to get going.
Right now they should be a bit dull, covered in resin, some white here and there.
If temps rise, they change color and they fatten compared to how they looked all winter.

But the process is slow initially. So it's a timeframe of weeks, not days. And being a little early or late doesn't hurt them at all.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not a picture, but if I say they start to shine in a metallic color, that's when they're about to get going.
Right now they should be a bit dull, covered in resin, some white here and there.
If temps rise, they change color and they fatten compared to how they looked all winter.

But the process is slow initially. So it's a timeframe of weeks, not days. And being a little early or late doesn't hurt them at all.
Thank you for a heads up on what to keep an eye out for as the season progresses. I’m going to take a picture tomorrow and use it as a point of comparison.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Another way to tell it's time to re-pot your pines is when you're done with your deciduous trees ;) . After that, do your junipers and that's a wrap! (unless you keep tropicals)

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another way to tell it's time to re-pot your pines is when you're done with your deciduous trees ;) . After that, do your junipers and that's a wrap! (unless you keep tropicals)
No tropicals yet, I’m trying not to take on too much at once 🙏 That is a good sequence to know, thank you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd love to meet the person who started this "bud swell" myth. So they can receive a very polite yet firm glove slap.

It may be true for that person, and many others, but it is a myth here.

I can understand it works most places. In most places most years it is a visual tree signal that signifies a point of weather that actually continues.

I am a huge advocate on working based on observation of tree signals. So when the signals are pretend, it gets recognized.

Up here, the weather doesn't always continue, but the tree still puts on this signal.
Up here, it is more of a "feeler", that can stop cold in its tracks for weeks.

The problem is that the top, in this semi signaled state, is still safe from the elements.

The roots on the other hand, will stay cold as the ground and air have not yet warmed enough to begin growth.

That's how stuff dies.

Haven't had anything die repotting in Summer.

D's Or C's.

Sorce

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd love to meet the person who started this "bud swell" myth. So they can receive a very polite yet firm glove slap.

It may be true for that person, and many others, but it is a myth here.

I can understand it works most places. In most places most years it is a visual tree signal that signifies a point of weather that actually continues.

I am a huge advocate on working based on observation of tree signals. So when the signals are pretend, it gets recognized.

Up here, the weather doesn't always continue, but the tree still puts on this signal.
Up here, it is more of a "feeler", that can stop cold in its tracks for weeks.

The problem is that the top, in this semi signaled state, is still safe from the elements.

The roots on the other hand, will stay cold as the ground and air have not yet warmed enough to begin growth.

That's how stuff dies.

Haven't had anything die repotting in Summer.

D's Or C's.

Sorce
I can see your point. From what I have read, the bud swell is an indication of sap moving from the roots to the tips. Doing so on this indication only could be hazardous as you mentioned. I agree we need to take other variables into consideration, as you noted as well. For example, I have a collected maple that is showing bud swell. It is being kept in a garage, perhaps it got a bit too warm in there. I’m going to leave it. If they start to break, I’ll put it in the heated greenhouse. To your point, I would think repotting now would not be good especial since it will still freeze hard in there again. In a nutshell, maybe the myth started because people thought sap is moving, repot early in the season to give roots a chance to grow before the heat of summer?

Attachments

• 0D8DEE96-FC41-44F9-807F-73D211D7DB4D.jpeg
    0D8DEE96-FC41-44F9-807F-73D211D7DB4D.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 20
  • F0031B7C-5821-4B46-B63E-4E0F42D13272.png
    F0031B7C-5821-4B46-B63E-4E0F42D13272.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 20

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a collected maple that is showing bud swell.

You are debunking the myth for yourself!

Stage 2 though, and even more important, is to beware of these "cloaks of confusion" that add to the Truth truth.

Garages in general are a cloak.
Temperature inside is a cloak.
Warming Cars in garages is another and pollutant.
Cutting late in the prior season is a.cloak.
Cutting excessively in the prior season is a cloak.
Health and Unhealthy are both cloaks.

This is why I keep stuff that can be kept perfectly healthy only on the ground.

This leaves Pure unconfused Observation as the only tell, cloak free.

The problem is the signal isn't a signal to Repot conclusively.
It's a signal the weather is changing.
In some climates this weather continues.
In mine it does not.

Consider a human dipping a toe into frigid water.

In a tree, the buds swelling are those toes, the roots the brain.

Just because a human dips it's toe, doesn't mean it's brain is ready to be plunged into the icy depths.

This is where the problem lies, and a debunking of
maybe the myth started because people thought sap is moving, repot early in the season to give roots a chance to grow before the heat of summer

Once we Repot, cut roots are "plunged into the icy depths".

Not all humans can survive this. Not all trees can survive this.

Some say this can be remedied by "not letting it freeze again", but this is just the beginning of a cloak. It's a band-aid not a cure.

Roots grow better through the warm summer months, especially when we can keep them wet and cool enough to keep growing. "Rain" isn't a cloak, it's natural.

There is nothing natural about being repotted early and "plunged into the icy depths".

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I can see your point. From what I have read, the bud swell is an indication of sap moving from the roots to the tips. Doing so on this indication only could be hazardous as you mentioned. I agree we need to take other variables into consideration, as you noted as well. For example, I have a collected maple that is showing bud swell. It is being kept in a garage, perhaps it got a bit too warm in there. I’m going to leave it. If they start to break, I’ll put it in the heated greenhouse. To your point, I would think repotting now would not be good especial since it will still freeze hard in there again. In a nutshell, maybe the myth started because people thought sap is moving, repot early in the season to give roots a chance to grow before the heat of summer?
Buds mature and ripen through the dormant season. They will get slightly bigger but this shouldn't be confused with the bud swelling associated with breaking dormancy and the beginning of the growing season as defined leaf edges will become apparent. If your trees have been consistently kept below 45 F (preferably 40 F), the trees are unlikely to be breaking dormancy... though, frankly, your average temperature inside the garage isn't cool enough to sustain dormancy. Anyway, the learning curve will be high for you over the next few months as I'm sure anything being kept in the garage will be growing by mid to late February- not a bad thing if you've got a spot in the heated greenhouse for them- and you can follow the buds of your trees as they transition from dormancy to active growth. You'll have to figure out your re-pot schedule on your own... I've always done spring re-pots on my trees- both down south and up north- as the trees break dormancy and it works for me.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Roots grow better through the warm summer months, especially when we can keep them wet and cool enough to keep growing.
So do pathogens. They grow too, and an awfull lot during the warmer months. Let's not forget that most of us organic feeders are literally pumping sewage and degraded plant material into the soil.

I'm of the school of thought that says: better rip the band aid off and let the wound heal before the heaviest beating on the entire system takes place: summer. You wouldn't go swimming in swamp water with open wounds. At least not if the swamp has been incubating in the sun for a couple months. I think the same about my trees. Yes, the growth is better in summer. Absolutely. That's when they need to grow, that's when they want to grow. Wouldn't make sense to mess that system up while it's building, it would make sense to have it set and solidified, ready to grow. Hormone flushes are amazing catalysts, and those happen mainly in spring.

Is bud swell a good indicator? Not bud swell alone. Forecasts, gut feeling, the actual weather need accounted for too. I know that ants don't come out until all frosts are gone for the year. I've been observing them for two and a half decade and I've noticed they can even forecast rain and thunder; their winged larvae sit and wait to fly out just before or just after storms. If you see them hurdling up at the ends of tunnels, you know something weathery is about to go down. I know bumblebees do come out before the frosts have left. If I see ants, I'm good. Bees too. If I smell that springy spring air and know that the grass is growing and the microbes are resuming their activity, filling the air with their breaths and farts, I know it's time.

I want things to get going and continue going in summer. Because that's the toughest season here. If I mess with the roots, it's three weeks and game over.
Every summer repot in my backyard has been an absolute disaster to say the least.
So it's my observation versus yours. We're both right in our own right.

I think myths persist for good reasons. Either they have some truth to them, or they would fade out in a year or two, or they would be busted entirely.
The tree itself wouldn't be dipping its toes if it already knew it was too soon. It's probing too. Trees, dumb as they are, are fricking clever. Why risk a hundred dead buds if you can wait it out just a few days? Why even dip a toe if your fingers are still frozen solid? That don't make sense bro! Yet some trees do it, some miss their own triggers. Some don't. Some die and others thrive. Their internal clocks - and some trees have 24 or more - can be perfectly synchronized, but the weather can be out of sync. All factors to take into account.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three or more signs that spring has sprung does provide my perfect window to repot conifers, sow seeds, and generally have a good time. I've been wrong about this twice in 17 years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So do pathogens.

There is a lot of information in regards to this topic here.....https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/moss-grown-on-the-surface.53151/post-919353

But before you go there I must address the "straw man" outside of our context.

The straw man is a necessary evil, a devil's advocate type perspective, it is not something that shouldn't be discussed, it is just introduced to the conversation poorly, without respect for the conversation.

I have been researching appropriate ways to have a constructive discussion for quite some time.

If the group follows the rules of what a productive discussion must have, we could stray down individual paths to find truth and how it also relates to the topic at hand, but not if used in this highly politicized "straw man bad" corporate media context.

It is my wish that these "side arguments" can take place and of they become straw men, we work together to understand why they exist, inside the bounds of the rules of a productive conversation.

I don't even think there was an actual straw man argument in that thread, though I see how it can be read as such.

Here, I feel like the "straw man" is "pathogens".

It leads to the question, why are these pathogens present in the first place and where do they come from?

I'd argue it starts with unhealthy trees from repotting too early in spring.

A healthy microbiome is also highly important, I see way too much destruction of this soil health with the use of fungicides and ....even chemical fertilizers.

Perhaps I only realize this health because I don't do that. Would be a poorly overlooked factor on my part, hell that might be a third thread discussion, the Mugo Perils one.

This....
Why risk a hundred dead buds if you can wait it out just a few days
I don't believe it is a risk.

There is a point where it understands the part that is out of dormancy must remain alive and out of dormancy.
During this phase, where things are no longer dormant, it still has a responsibility to keep it's needles or leaves safe.

When externals, or "cloaks of confusion" are kept to a minimum, you can see this period is completely preprogrammed and absolutely normal, on purpose and risk free. The "risk free" is built into the natural system.

Sorce

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Buds mature and ripen through the dormant season. They will get slightly bigger but this shouldn't be confused with the bud swelling associated with breaking dormancy and the beginning of the growing season as defined leaf edges will become apparent. If your trees have been consistently kept below 45 F (preferably 40 F), the trees are unlikely to be breaking dormancy... though, frankly, your average temperature inside the garage isn't cool enough to sustain dormancy. Anyway, the learning curve will be high for you over the next few months as I'm sure anything being kept in the garage will be growing by mid to late February- not a bad thing if you've got a spot in the heated greenhouse for them- and you can follow the buds of your trees as they transition from dormancy to active growth. You'll have to figure out your re-pot schedule on your own... I've always done spring re-pots on my trees- both down south and up north- as the trees break dormancy and it works for me.
Great information, thank you. This is one tree out of many that is behaving like it is spring already. The rest are still resting like it is January in the NE. If it progresses anymore into the greenhouse it goes.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So do pathogens. They grow too, and an awfull lot during the warmer months. Let's not forget that most of us organic feeders are literally pumping sewage and degraded plant material into the soil.

I'm of the school of thought that says: better rip the band aid off and let the wound heal before the heaviest beating on the entire system takes place: summer. You wouldn't go swimming in swamp water with open wounds. At least not if the swamp has been incubating in the sun for a couple months. I think the same about my trees. Yes, the growth is better in summer. Absolutely. That's when they need to grow, that's when they want to grow. Wouldn't make sense to mess that system up while it's building, it would make sense to have it set and solidified, ready to grow. Hormone flushes are amazing catalysts, and those happen mainly in spring.

Is bud swell a good indicator? Not bud swell alone. Forecasts, gut feeling, the actual weather need accounted for too. I know that ants don't come out until all frosts are gone for the year. I've been observing them for two and a half decade and I've noticed they can even forecast rain and thunder; their winged larvae sit and wait to fly out just before or just after storms. If you see them hurdling up at the ends of tunnels, you know something weathery is about to go down. I know bumblebees do come out before the frosts have left. If I see ants, I'm good. Bees too. If I smell that springy spring air and know that the grass is growing and the microbes are resuming their activity, filling the air with their breaths and farts, I know it's time.

I want things to get going and continue going in summer. Because that's the toughest season here. If I mess with the roots, it's three weeks and game over.
Every summer repot in my backyard has been an absolute disaster to say the least.
So it's my observation versus yours. We're both right in our own right.

I think myths persist for good reasons. Either they have some truth to them, or they would fade out in a year or two, or they would be busted entirely.
The tree itself wouldn't be dipping its toes if it already knew it was too soon. It's probing too. Trees, dumb as they are, are fricking clever. Why risk a hundred dead buds if you can wait it out just a few days? Why even dip a toe if your fingers are still frozen solid? That don't make sense bro! Yet some trees do it, some miss their own triggers. Some don't. Some die and others thrive. Their internal clocks - and some trees have 24 or more - can be perfectly synchronized, but the weather can be out of sync. All factors to take into account.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three or more signs that spring has sprung does provide my perfect window to repot conifers, sow seeds, and generally have a good time. I've been wrong about this twice in 17 years.
So is it safe to assume that you are not repotting until you know all risk of frost has passed? Or do you move into cover if it happens again? Or are you not worried about a light frost after repotting?
As far as pathogens, I know I’m trimming my fruit trees in January to minimize the risk of infection. I have to think roots are not much different.
As far as the risk of hard lessons, a few trees were put in the garage to test it, most are outside mounded in mulch.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here, I feel like the "straw man" is "pathogens".

It leads to the question, why are these pathogens present in the first place and where do they come from?
I don't feel as if that's a straw man, or a cloak or whatever. The discussion lead to summer repotting - which to me is a diversion that was uncalled for but I'm willing to bite - of which I'm not a fan and I can defend my standpoint with solid arguments. Mostly due to the seasonal hormonal influx being absent in summer, secondary because the summer is a harsh condition to be growing roots due to limited water and high temperatures and third because of pathogens. Pathogens are present because that's what they do: they reside, they lay dormant, they wait and strike when they can. We get pollen from Morrocco blowing over, Sahara sand too! In the middle of Europe. Spores are a thousand times lighter, they can and will travel and they are omnipresent.
To strike effectively, there's a general set of rules that needs to be met: conditions have to be alright (temperature and humidity), nutrient availability, they need a plant that doesn't have defenses against them (susceptibility), and they need a point of entry (vector or contact). That's the rule for athlete's foot as much as it is for any plant pathogen.
We all know these pathogens are everywhere and a single day of bad conditions can cause them to flourish. And in the summer, there are just more of those days. So let's circle back to summer repotting: our trees have been soaking in cow, chicken, pork dung and dead fish or kelp for months now. Temperatures are optimal for pathogen growth - but also the good guys, mind you! Pathogens are actively spreading at this time too, summer is their peak season. Plants have just spent their energy towards spring growth and they're in a net negative state. Perfect time to strike for pathogens. I'm absolutely certain that I'm partially responsible for my plants dying after a summer repot. No reason to deny that. But a larger, way larger part has to do with conditions.

You'd argue that trees are weakened by the repotting in spring. Something I have yet to observe. But that argument only holds ground if they are in fact weakened by spring repotting. Now let's say that's true, for the sake of the argument.. It wouldn't make sense to be repotting that same tree in summer, would it? When it comes to discussing things right, we should steer away from "If.. Then.." types of reasoning. It obscures the matter at hand.

Let's go back to spring. Temperatures are low, plants are active because they have a bunch of sugars and starches and can resist low temperatures. Pathogens cannot, they rely on external exposure to nutrients, which we also have just moderately dosed. Pathogens are not spreading at this time, yet. And if they do, conditions for them aren't optimal; temps too low. Plant sap is still filled with gunk from winter, like sugars, which also act as a natural antibiotic to most fungi and bacteria. On top of that, science has proven time after time again that high levels of hormones cause plants to heal faster. We see this reflected in growth.. You can observe this in two seasons specifically: spring and fall.

We can now fully circle back to bud swelling. Bud swelling, and other signs - like smells, like ants, like birds - are hormone based. The plants have their eyes set on the prize, they start producing those hormones triggered by temperatures, daytime length, and other seasonal things (and also internal clocks that just trigger stuff even when it's too soon). I'm very much convinced, and I can prove it scientifically because I have a freezer full of plant hormone stocks, that hormone production isn't stopped by a freeze or two. As a matter of fact, low temperatures stabilize hormones and stop degradation. Even if the icy depths are reached, the amount of sugar inside the plant does provide protection. The heightened turgor pressure that causes the buds to initially swell, pushes things outwards instead of inwards.
I do believe bud swell alone is a bad indicator and I fully agree with you on the cloaking; if we fake it, the plant will believe that it's spring while it isn't. But slapping people because they don't mention the whole story is kind of harsh, don't ya think? Because there's the other factor.. The "but if.. Then.."
But if we're faking spring convincingly and the plant falls for it, why would a repot be bad? I mean, if we're providing spring conditions.. Then how hard is it to continue in that fashion and keep providing these conditions?
I know that's not how it works. So I'm using it as a conclusion instead of an argument.

@Gr8tfuldad its safe to assume that I repot when most frost risks have passed. I don't mind a couple degrees C below zero because of the excess sugars. We usually get a serious dip around Feb and after that it's only minor frosts. My plants have been unprotected for 4 years now, maybe 5 or more, so they don't move until they think it's the right time and I don't move until I have to because I'm just a lazy dude with a garden hose. My philosophy about cover and winter protection is quite simple: if I don't have to move them now, I don't have to move them when I'm 40, or 50, or 60 years old. And the plants will only get bigger in that period. Everything that dies now, is something I don't have to drag indoors for the next 30 years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
. But slapping people because they don't mention the whole story is kind of harsh, don't ya think? Because there's the other factor.. The "but if.. Then.."
But if we're faking spring convincingly and the plant falls for it, why would a repot be bad? I mean, if we're providing spring conditions.. Then how hard is it to continue in that fashion and keep providing these conditions?
I know that's not how it works. So

What slap?

Sorce

Top Bottom