buddhist pine bonsai - podocarpus

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All,

I picked up this buddhist pine bonsai from our local nursery. It’s about 2 ft tall and 1”-1.2” thick. This is my first indoor bonsai. Can you give me some general info as how to take care of this?
1- I have a west facing window, would that provide sufficient lighting?
2- what type of fertilizer do you recommend? And how often should I water and fertilize?
3- some of the roots show up on the right side of the pot. Should I top off the soil? What do you recommend for topping? The bonsai soil I use does not look very appealing.
4- is it possible to grow moss on an indoor bonsai? I may move this outdoor in the summer. Does moss survive indoors during winter?
5- can you give me some general idea as to how old this guy is?
6- I picked up these led grow light from amazon. Are they sufficient for bonsai?
www.amazon.com/Relassy-Spectrum-Goosenec...d=1583014622&sr=8-40
7- how do you clean the leaves?

Attachments

• 52AFF598-AEE1-4747-B5AD-F34C8BFF369C.jpeg
    52AFF598-AEE1-4747-B5AD-F34C8BFF369C.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 60
  • E6477EB2-0032-44E0-AD95-C3A75FC249D0.jpeg
    E6477EB2-0032-44E0-AD95-C3A75FC249D0.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 62
  • E50B053F-EF8A-4109-B629-A5C2564EE0BB.jpeg
    E50B053F-EF8A-4109-B629-A5C2564EE0BB.jpeg
    164.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 6CE1D793-E24D-4AEE-8291-6DA71BA996A6.jpeg
    6CE1D793-E24D-4AEE-8291-6DA71BA996A6.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 62

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Just an FYI for the rest of you....

When context content is legit, I don't always make sure links are legit. Which really entails risking my information anyway I guess...since I am not a tech nerd with protections for such things, so even if I do check em, I don't really know of they're bad.
Unless they go somewhere that asks you for information. That's just annoying, only ever had to reject one. All the same. .....

Open links at your own risk.

Cheers!

Sorce

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are the lights I guess I probably Shouldn’t post a link :) 1500 lux

Attachments

• 1A0B6BB7-9BF3-4659-973B-02DB7AD39201.jpeg
    1A0B6BB7-9BF3-4659-973B-02DB7AD39201.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 51

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
All,

I picked up this buddhist pine bonsai from our local nursery. It’s about 2 ft tall and 1”-1.2” thick. This is my first indoor bonsai. Can you give me some general info as how to take care of this?
1- I have a west facing window, would that provide sufficient lighting?
2- what type of fertilizer do you recommend? And how often should I water and fertilize?
3- some of the roots show up on the right side of the pot. Should I top off the soil? What do you recommend for topping? The bonsai soil I use does not look very appealing.
4- is it possible to grow moss on an indoor bonsai? I may move this outdoor in the summer. Does moss survive indoors during winter?
5- can you give me some general idea as to how old this guy is?
6- I picked up these led grow light from amazon. Are they sufficient for bonsai?
www.amazon.com/Relassy-Spectrum-Goosenec...d=1583014622&sr=8-40
7- how do you clean the leaves?

Item 1. Not enough light for vigorous growth. Enough to keep it alive, not enough to get good rapid compact growth.

2 - How often to water - answer - when it needs it. Not more, not less. You can not put a tree on a calendar schedule. Daily, stick your finger into the pot, at bury at least fingernail depth. If feels moist, don't water, feels barely damp - time to water. If it feels dry, you should have watered yesterday. They want to go from wet to barely moist, then wet again. Do not let get bonsai dry. Check to see if it needs water daily. Actually water it on the days it needs water. Weather will change how often it needs to be watered. Hot sunny dry day, low humidity, it can dry out in a single day. Cloudy, cool, high humidity couple days - the tree might go a week without needing water. You MUST check daily, and only water when it needs it.

2 (part 2) Fertilizer. My preference is for a chemical fertilizer, one that is high nitrogen, low phosphorous and relatively high potassium, NPK, the numbers of what I am using right now is 12-1-4 with a long list of micro nutrients. A 12-2-13 will work. Actually many, many different formulations will work. Key is to fertilizer every 3rd or 4th time you water. And keep your fertilizer concentrations on the dilute side. A tree growing indoors will be growing slow, and will not need much fertilizer. I usually use 1/2 to 1/4 of what the label tells you to use. If you like doing the mathematics I use 40 ppm as N. If you don't know how to get to that number don't worry about it, for a fertilizer who's first number is 10 or near 10, that would be about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

3. - yes top up with the same bonsai soil that is in the pot. If your bonsai mix at home is different that the mix the tree is in, doesn't really mater a lot. Just top up with bonsai mix.

4 - moss is difficult to get to grow indoors. It is hit or miss to get it to grow outdoors. But sometimes we get lucky and it just grows. There is a whole cult dedicated to growing moss. I was never given the secret handshake. So don't worry about moss, you will either have it show up everywhere, or it will always fail for you. Few are in the middle ground.

5 - your tree is probably 2 or 3 years from a cutting or 4 or 5 years from seed. Don't know which.

6 - those lights look like "good enough" supplemental lights for one or two plants at a time. They should be positioned as close as possible to your tree. Leave lights on about 18 hours a day. This will nicely supplement the light from your west window. Do plan on giving your tree a summer vacation every year outdoors, if possible.

7 - cleaning leaves can be done with a damp cloth with just plain water on the cloth. Or you could set the tree in the shower. Before putting the tree in shower, adjust temperature to room temp, not cold, not hot. Careful where in the shower you put it, you don't want so much water that you flush soil out of the pot.

Hope this helps.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Item 1. Not enough light for vigorous growth. Enough to keep it alive, not enough to get good rapid compact growth.

2 - How often to water - answer - when it needs it. Not more, not less. You can not put a tree on a calendar schedule. Daily, stick your finger into the pot, at bury at least fingernail depth. If feels moist, don't water, feels barely damp - time to water. If it feels dry, you should have watered yesterday. They want to go from wet to barely moist, then wet again. Do not let get bonsai dry. Check to see if it needs water daily. Actually water it on the days it needs water. Weather will change how often it needs to be watered. Hot sunny dry day, low humidity, it can dry out in a single day. Cloudy, cool, high humidity couple days - the tree might go a week without needing water. You MUST check daily, and only water when it needs it.

2 (part 2) Fertilizer. My preference is for a chemical fertilizer, one that is high nitrogen, low phosphorous and relatively high potassium, NPK, the numbers of what I am using right now is 12-1-4 with a long list of micro nutrients. A 12-2-13 will work. Actually many, many different formulations will work. Key is to fertilizer every 3rd or 4th time you water. And keep your fertilizer concentrations on the dilute side. A tree growing indoors will be growing slow, and will not need much fertilizer. I usually use 1/2 to 1/4 of what the label tells you to use. If you like doing the mathematics I use 40 ppm as N. If you don't know how to get to that number don't worry about it, for a fertilizer who's first number is 10 or near 10, that would be about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

3. - yes top up with the same bonsai soil that is in the pot. If your bonsai mix at home is different that the mix the tree is in, doesn't really mater a lot. Just top up with bonsai mix.

4 - moss is difficult to get to grow indoors. It is hit or miss to get it to grow outdoors. But sometimes we get lucky and it just grows. There is a whole cult dedicated to growing moss. I was never given the secret handshake. So don't worry about moss, you will either have it show up everywhere, or it will always fail for you. Few are in the middle ground.

5 - your tree is probably 2 or 3 years from a cutting or 4 or 5 years from seed. Don't know which.

6 - those lights look like "good enough" supplemental lights for one or two plants at a time. They should be positioned as close as possible to your tree. Leave lights on about 18 hours a day. This will nicely supplement the light from your west window. Do plan on giving your tree a summer vacation every year outdoors, if possible.

7 - cleaning leaves can be done with a damp cloth with just plain water on the cloth. Or you could set the tree in the shower. Before putting the tree in shower, adjust temperature to room temp, not cold, not hot. Careful where in the shower you put it, you don't want so much water that you flush soil out of the pot.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so very much Leo for the great info. I normally use fish emulsion for my outdoor plants but I don’t dare to use it indoors. What brand fertilizer do you recommned? I’m in US I can order from Home Depot or amazon.
I was planning to use this but I guess this would be too weak.
Also do you recommend superthrive for bonsai trees?

thanks a bunch again!

Attachments

• 7CF81FFF-DC9E-4851-8320-9CE4CEE645BC.png
    7CF81FFF-DC9E-4851-8320-9CE4CEE645BC.png
    134 KB · Views: 25
  • 28D860FD-07DD-4C70-AB72-E5BBAB03A595.png
    28D860FD-07DD-4C70-AB72-E5BBAB03A595.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 15

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The product is fine, but if you look at the specifications, it is mostly water. The analysis says 1-1-1 for NPK. If you look at other Miracle Grow products carried by Home Depot, look at this one. Its analysis is 24-8-16, which means for every ounce, it is 24 % nitrogen, 8 % phosphorous, 16% Potassium (K), a much better deal per ounce than 1%N-1%P-1%K.

It is pretty simple to dilute fertilizer into water, for example the 24-8-16 I would use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. You can use a clean, recycled milk jug, fill and mix up a batch, and use it over the course of a month. When you water your tree, every 3rd time you water, at the sink, water the tree, let it drain, then pour fertilizer solution from the milk jug, let drain again. Put tree back on your windowsill. Easy.

But the product you posted, the liquid, is just fine, it will work, its only down side is its expense.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Where are you located? If this is P. macrophyllus it hardy to zone 7--much of the southern Unitred States. Even if it is not cold hardy where you live, spending the summer outside will really help.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The product is fine, but if you look at the specifications, it is mostly water. The analysis says 1-1-1 for NPK. If you look at other Miracle Grow products carried by Home Depot, look at this one. Its analysis is 24-8-16, which means for every ounce, it is 24 % nitrogen, 8 % phosphorous, 16% Potassium (K), a much better deal per ounce than 1%N-1%P-1%K.

It is pretty simple to dilute fertilizer into water, for example the 24-8-16 I would use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. You can use a clean, recycled milk jug, fill and mix up a batch, and use it over the course of a month. When you water your tree, every 3rd time you water, at the sink, water the tree, let it drain, then pour fertilizer solution from the milk jug, let drain again. Put tree back on your windowsill. Easy.

But the product you posted, the liquid, is just fine, it will work, its only down side is its expense.

I picked up the water soluble one. Thanks a bunch again!

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where are you located? If this is P. macrophyllus it hardy to zone 7--much of the southern Unitred States. Even if it is not cold hardy where you live, spending the summer outside will really help.

I’m in Richmond Virginia, Zone 7a.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Day temperatures are in the 50s. I probably order one of these and move it outside during day time.

Attachments

• 657D1710-93DE-4079-90CB-4CAC85ED609A.png
    657D1710-93DE-4079-90CB-4CAC85ED609A.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 10

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All is this a case of iron deficiency? Some of the leaves started to turn light green. It’s been outside for almost month and a half but I haven’t seen much improvement. Overall it looks healthy but changes in leaves colors concerns me.

Attachments

• 08CFD633-C2B9-4D59-AC55-941A22BBF02D.jpeg
    08CFD633-C2B9-4D59-AC55-941A22BBF02D.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 905E13C0-E4C9-460D-AE2C-CDA828FA467C.jpeg
    905E13C0-E4C9-460D-AE2C-CDA828FA467C.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 8
  • FD73B628-191D-4054-ABEF-E1D39727D1F9.jpeg
    FD73B628-191D-4054-ABEF-E1D39727D1F9.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 9EB6DBDD-B40A-4EAC-A2D9-4F5E05FD2A51.jpeg
    9EB6DBDD-B40A-4EAC-A2D9-4F5E05FD2A51.jpeg