Buds on BC

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you’re in zone 7 or thereabouts, please let me know if your BC has buds on it. I was at plant city bonsai nursery yesterday and most of the ones there are covered in buds.
Thanks
Ridley

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I find that mine doesn't show any signs of swelling buds (or even life for that matter) until very late in the spring. I'm told I have "northern ecotypes" which makes sense, .. fine. But my trees don't even pass the scratch test in winter. I'm zone 6b and my experience is probably a little different than most folks though. you're only 1 zone warmer than me but your geographic location is much different than mine

Reactions: Rid

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With the moderate winter we've had so far, I expect mine to start showing buds next month as "memory" will rule the day. I collect south of where I am, and those specimens push buds in February.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you’re in zone 7 or thereabouts, please let me know if your BC has buds on it. I was at plant city bonsai nursery yesterday and most of the ones there are covered in buds.
Thanks
Ridley

Mine have started.

S

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It's an individual genetics thing, too. I had several at my old place that would bud out as much as a month apart. Ridley, as Zach suggested, those trees might have been grown much further south from where they ended up.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
My baldie has been sitting in the same place on the ground since I got it years ago. If it were to fall into the low teens, I might throw some leaves over the pot, but I'm not going to bother for this particular cold snap. The rest of my trees will be on the ground for a few days next week, excluding my big junipers, which will ride it out proudly on their benches.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
All mine are still tight and I have one from Florida in the garage that looks dead it is so tight. Last spring in spite of the warm winter mine didn’t pop until quite late. Wonder where plant city sources theirs?

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Out in the swamps down here many are out, and many are not, even in the same swamps.
The cypress in my pond has not budded yet, but 2 of the 4 that I collected in January/February have started.
BC seem fickle

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Not fickle, Crawforde, just the natural way. The slight variations allow for plants to thrive in changing environments.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have one in full leaf, some with buds and some that haven't started yet. It's the same thing every year so I never get concerned.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have one in full leaf, some with buds and some that haven't started yet. It's the same thing every year so I never get concerned.
Mine have small nubs. Pondering if it's okay to pot up. I was going to wire it over the weekend. But, my stepmom ended up in the hospital and that didn't happen. Might wire it tomorrow...Erin pots arrive tomorrow too. At some point. At what point is it to late to pot these up?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine have small nubs. Pondering if it's okay to pot up. I was going to wire it over the weekend. But, my stepmom ended up in the hospital and that didn't happen. Might wire it tomorrow...Erin pots arrive tomorrow too. At some point. At what point is it to late to pot these up?
Nubs (even if they're a little green) are perfect timing for a repot but when the leaves have begun to unfurl you'd better wait until next year.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nubs (even if they're a little green) are perfect timing for a repot but when the leaves have begun to unfurl you'd better wait until next year.
Thanks! Will wait until tomorrow to assess. Worse case...the pot waits a year. Yes, nubs were a little green the other day when I watered.

Reactions: Vin

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine isn't looking too good....I know almost half of the trunk is dead.....Not sure if the back side will bud this year or not.

Brian

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well in spite of the fluctuatnig temperatures all of mine have now begun to bud out. Not as far along as my larches with their little green shaving brush bundles and once we get through this cold spell I expect them to really pop.

Top Bottom