Buds opening, tree said its time...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I hate doing this kind of work in February here in MD...
But I got buds opening on my Chinese Elm, and I decided to stick to my plan for the tree, which was to get eyes on the roots for the first time, reduce dramatically, and go from there...
(May the bonsai gods be with me...
May they make their faces shine upon me and be gracious to me...
May they lift up their countenances towards me and give me peace...
Amen.)

IMAG4264.jpgIMAG4265.jpgIMAG4266.jpgIMAG4267.jpgIMAG4268.jpgIMAG4269.jpgIMAG4270.jpgIMAG4271.jpgIMAG4272.jpgIMAG4273.jpg
I really like the new planting angle!
Now I just need my nerves to hold out!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dunno about that one...lol!
I do appreciate the thought though...
Always something to think about.

Something bout a poll....

Something bout a pot.

I bet you majority says chop it!

If I win...I'll make you a pot for it....
If I lose. ..same Fucking deal!

Sorce

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
my tree's are starting to move as well, with about 10 to repot this year, i'm taking a day off work to do it all in one go.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I like the new angle! It’s an elm so it should survive that pruning. Keep us updated.

I agree that it’s not chopped low enough however. It will never have good taper as it is now. Have you tried to draw a virt? I can’t picture how it is going to work. Also, if you are trying to thicken a leader shouldn’t it go in a nice big grow pot?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like the new angle! It’s an elm so it should survive that pruning. Keep us updated.

I agree that it’s not chopped low enough however. It will never have good taper as it is now. Have you tried to draw a virt? I can’t picture how it is going to work. Also, if you are trying to thicken a leader shouldn’t it go in a nice big grow pot?
I have no clue at this point really ..
Just want it to get a good root system in my inorganic mix, for now...

I like the bark too much ...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So, just swirling some ideas around in my head, after @sorce tipped my world on end, with his Sumo! comment ....

I think this tree will take at least 8-10 years to develop a good nebari, which is my main focus....

Do you think that leaving the tree tall will create a better nebari faster??...because there is more branches and foliage...?
I think maybe, this could be true....then I could have a good base to chop for...

Or...
In a year, or four, the base of the tree will be good and flat...
I could pull an Ebihara move on it....
Plus, that lower trunk developing, and maybe letting low branches run...
Could create taper, maybe....?....no?....

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think trying to develop taper without a chop isn't the way to go. If you really like the bark, take an airlayer off the top. Ultimately if you like it as is, and just want to refine the base and branching, all good! I think us younger members have that hesitation to redesign, we just love the tree. Experienced artists seem to know right away that it takes years to build the image, and don't mess around.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think trying to develop taper without a chop isn't the way to go. If you really like the bark, take an airlayer off the top. Ultimately if you like it as is, and just want to refine the base and branching, all good! I think us younger members have that hesitation to redesign, we just love the tree. Experienced artists seem to know right away that it takes years to build the image, and don't mess around.
I think I agree... just thinking, you know, Thanks Wilson! Much appreciated input!

Top Bottom