Buds pushing too early

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The buds on my European hornbeam appear to be waking up too early. If I keep the tree as cold as possible can I stop this from happening? Or is it too late?4E01AEB5-768F-4988-904D-098819915738.jpeg72EED116-C21C-46B1-9A23-BB04D1B0A223.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Whoah!.. Sorry! way early for this dude, especially in zone 4 (?).. watch the rest you have “protected”

To Add to what was said above..

I was once told that if you can visually “make out” the leaves’ definition... it is too late..

🤓

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
So...now I do the bonsai two step I suppose. At least it is just one tree. I thought I heard somewhere you could stop the process. I think the buds must have started pushing before we got that week of below zero temps. Everything in my garage froze. Hopefully that wasn't harmful to this tree that was waking up.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So...now I do the bonsai two step I suppose. At least it is just one tree. I thought I heard somewhere you could stop the process. I think the buds must have started pushing before we got that week of below zero temps. Everything in my garage froze. Hopefully that wasn't harmful to this tree that was waking up.
As long as you two step, while keeping watch on freezes and frosts until the rest “catch up”

Where was it when it woke up?..garage?

Kahless

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
When does it need to be put outside in the day? When the leaves are fully out? I don't feel like it's going to be warm enough some days. Maybe a grow light is needed. Also, the soil is 32F mulched in a bucket. I think the buds started pushing before it froze and then stopped. I assume they will resume once the garage starts heating up.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It only needs to come in when it is going to freeze. If the overnight lows are going to be above freezing, they can just stay outside 24x7.

Keeping it cool, though, keeps it moving s l o w l y.

Top Bottom