Bug Eggs??? What's on my BC branch?

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive seen those before but don't know what they are. I think I usually just flake them off with my fingernail. Can you pick one off and photograph the spot where it attaches?

PattyB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You’re welcome. I had an invasion of Katydids this year, more than I usually see. I also found these eggs on our oak trees and decided that must be why my small trees on our deck were being visited by these monster bugs! Apparently Oaks are a favorite? Big bugs creep me out!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You’re welcome. I had an invasion of Katydids this year, more than I usually see. I also found these eggs on our oak trees and decided that must be why my small trees on our deck were being visited by these monster bugs! Apparently Oaks are a favorite? Big bugs creep me out!
I'm in MD as well.
I've been told that our huge influx of insects this year is due to the very wet year we had last year combined with some lasting high temps this year.

PattyB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am in Carroll county, very rural area. We had so much rain last year the lower area of our yard, 3 acres, was a swamp for weeks. This year was similar as far as moisture and the heat certainly helped increased the insects in our area. Thankfully we have enough breeze here that we honestly don’t have mosquitoes as an extra pest!

Katydids are so big, they could strip a small tree very quickly. It was not unusual to find a half a dozen of them on our deck every time I went outside. I ummm dispatched them with a flip flop!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am in Carroll county, very rural area. We had so much rain last year the lower area of our yard, 3 acres, was a swamp for weeks. This year was similar as far as moisture and the heat certainly helped increased the insects in our area. Thankfully we have enough breeze here that we honestly don’t have mosquitoes as an extra pest!

Katydids are so big, they could strip a small tree very quickly. It was not unusual to find a half a dozen of them on our deck every time I went outside. I ummm dispatched them with a flip flop!
I'm in Carroll Co as well.
I only saw a few this year, but obviously they're here.
My property is on high ground, but I see how swampy the how farms are down low.

Welcome to the Nut House!

PattyB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the welcome Mike! I’ve been lurking for sometime now, a lot to learn and so much to see with many talented members. I have been amazed.

The katydid this year were excessive and big. I would imagine farmers had their problems with them other than a few little deck trees. I believe their larvae eat aphids so apparently they aren’t exactly the devil, I just don’t want them around.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you for the welcome Mike! I’ve been lurking for sometime now, a lot to learn and so much to see with many talented members. I have been amazed.

The katydid this year were excessive and big. I would imagine farmers had their problems with them other than a few little deck trees. I believe their larvae eat aphids so apparently they aren’t exactly the devil, I just don’t want them around.
Yeah, I think I'll take Leo's advise and remove them.
Best bonsai site on the interwebs!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ive seen those before but don't know what they are. I think I usually just flake them off with my fingernail. Can you pick one off and photograph the spot where it attaches?
Here you go Doc!
They did some damage! I was suprised to see how bad it was.
I was using tweezers and pulling off bark while pulling them off.... they are very hard.
20191119_143201.jpg20191119_143211.jpg20191119_143346.jpg20191119_143402.jpg20191119_143408.jpg20191119_143421.jpg

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like they've already been identified, but I appreciate the pics. I didn't know if it was some type of scale insect with a mouth part underneath or just an egg stuck on.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks like they've already been identified, but I appreciate the pics. I didn't know if it was some type of scale insect with a mouth part underneath or just an egg stuck on.
They were really stuck on there!
We need to figure out the adhesive that the katydid produces, and militarize it!

Top Bottom