Bug identification

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Anyone know what this bug is and how to prevent it from eating my elms? There several, not just one and only seem to like the elms.

I sprayed with Maliathon but they don’t seem to mind. Outside of caterpillars and aphids, I haven’t had a bug problem before.

Attachments

• 765128B6-203C-45AA-8315-5A7C7C04EA1A.jpeg
    765128B6-203C-45AA-8315-5A7C7C04EA1A.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 43

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Yeah got those over here too. I pluck em off and put in water with a couple drops dishwash liquid to break surface tension. I've heard the traps will only attract more. They will be around through Autumn so gotta be diligent. Not sure what spray would be safe.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yeah got those over here too. I pluck em off and put in water with a couple drops dishwash liquid to break surface tension. I've heard the traps will only attract more. They will be around through Autumn so gotta be diligent. Not sure what spray would be safe.
i read that too, that someone put the traps out and they worked, because they invited all the bugs from entire neighborhood to them

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Definitely Japanese Beetle.
Cool looking....but can't ruin some stuff.

I used to see those bags for catching them mounted in people's yards.....they'd always be full.
i have nostalgia of looking in them or seeing them while playing in lawns with kids in neighborhood

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes Sevin works
However the powder form kills bees too as they take it back to the queen as pollen. Boom entire hive dead.
States directly on the package not to use within 1 mile of a hive.
Not sure if the liquid has the same caution or not...but that's what I would use for Japanese beetles.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
However the powder form kills bees too as they take it back to the queen as pollen. Boom entire hive dead.
Wow, that's bad news. I spray liquid Sevin on my grape and amelopsis every year. One spry does it till the following year. I guess the bees have been busy on other plants cause I have a billion bees, all kinds.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys. I will remove them by hand and see if that works. If they come back I will hit with some Sevin. Interesting they are only interested in 3 elms that aren't near each other. The elms are surrounded by way too many other species they don't seem to care about.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are the flying & mating stage of the grubs in your lawn. You can wipe them out for ~20 years or so inoculating your lawn with Milky Spore. They come out of the ground and fly to the first host on their menue, dine, mate eat for their babies and lay eggs in the sod, so you can reduce the volume you have, and if your neighbors do the same, minimize the problem.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They are the flying & mating stage of the grubs in your lawn. You can wipe them out for ~20 years or so inoculating your lawn with Milky Spore.
You're right, but, I use GrubX too and it works, however my neighbor doesn't nor his neighbor and so on, but it helps like...
If you plant a counter intelligence they normally consume, like in suitable areas, growing vulnerable tea roses, and get them blooming
good, it's a magnet. Like the cellulose in the bait trap stations attracts termites better than lumber does.
I didn't know it worked for 20-ish years though. That's cool!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, I used it once at my old house and once here. I also talked two neighbors into using it, too, so I see them, but not many because they are lazy and go to the first host on their list, pig out, screw, pig out lay eggs and die, sometimes within feet.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If they come back I will hit with some Sevin
Expect a white milky residue for a few rains to persist if you do.
I would for a season on 3 elms use a premixed solution ready to go like maybe a quart at any home store or Walmart.
I would glove up and get the undersides too best you can. If it gets to where you're spraying a gallon at a time,
or several plants at a time, then a pump sprayer is always safer for you.

Top Bottom