Bugophobia Question.. Help ?

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello All
Ok so I am petrified of bugs and of course now that I got my courage to start bonsai I have started to see this little critter on my trident maple forest twice I have no clue what it is but I noticed it chewing on the leaves so I had my husband kill it with a Spectracide Triazicide Insect Killer but I am worried because the poor maples are already dealing with the black spot fungus and I’ve been spraying them with Draconil once a week, they were starting to look pretty good for a few days but the last couple of days I have noticed that they are not looking good at all. The leaves are turning yellow and are really limp some are even black and crispy, what am I doing wrong ? or is there anything that I can do to save them ? Any advice is so greatly appreciated. Sorry I don’t have a better picture of the bug but like I said I am scarred sh..less when I see bugs I can’t even kill a spider ?

Attachments

• CEB0F8C8-2649-4602-924D-64AA236984B4.jpeg
    CEB0F8C8-2649-4602-924D-64AA236984B4.jpeg
    286.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 3EB4B669-FC9E-43C4-BBB2-5587ABB1A3D7.jpeg
    3EB4B669-FC9E-43C4-BBB2-5587ABB1A3D7.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 5C0FEE48-D6B1-491D-BA15-15E7A1B41167.jpeg
    5C0FEE48-D6B1-491D-BA15-15E7A1B41167.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 37
  • AC6665E1-6768-4D6D-98F9-E7A8E100CD52.jpeg
    AC6665E1-6768-4D6D-98F9-E7A8E100CD52.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 838BD94A-4980-463F-B55B-2ECAA60D199A.png
    838BD94A-4980-463F-B55B-2ECAA60D199A.png
    594.3 KB · Views: 48

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your plant has fungus. Spray weekly with daconil. Take off all the leaves and let the plant make new ones. Spray weekly (once a week) for six weeks and then monthly thru the year.

The bug is not the problem and don't go killing everything that crawls on the plant, there are good bugs too.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hmmmm...that is an interesting looking bug though. I haven’t seen that one yet. And...I agree with Smoke. You should have excellent tree recovery time in Southern California.

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Smoke have not laughed that hard in such a long time ? and I promise I won’t go killing them all ?. I will continue to spray them every Friday and take the rest of the remaining leaves as well, these maples mean so much to me and I don’t want to loose them, I had to put my little dog of 14 years down so bonsai has become a calming new world for me. TY!

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! Queen ?she was everything to me and my little shadow, everywhere I went she was always following me ? her name was Lulu a little white Bichon. Silent it’s the only thing that’s keeping me moving forward ? I have always wanted to start doing bonsai but I was too scarred of it until now so every day I have those little trees to care for and watch them grow and turn them into something beautiful one day. I know it may sound corny but it’s a woman thing ? right Queen ?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The legs look similar to this....20180602_071323.jpg

A red-headed ash borer...

Been having em all over this year.

Says the adults emerge and feed on anything...but will likely bore into ash or similar trees.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A loss of a beloved fur baby is so difficult. Heartferlt confolences. When I lost mine I focused on how blessed I was to have seniors...the chapters I was blessed with while they were with me. Bonsai...a good hobby, doesn't quite mimac the companionship a dog brings. I pray that in time you might bring another into your home...into your heart. To set footprints next to your Lulu's. They never replace...not meant to. But help one's healing process with their grief.

Enjoy your bonsai journey...glad you found the forum. Its a great circle of bonsai folk which can help you...and archive is packed full of resources that are priceless.

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you ! ? Darlene you are so right I’m still waiting for her ashes and I know once I get them it will be a little more comfort to get her back home. May I ask what kind of dog did you have ? and how long did you have yours. I am so glad I found this this forum everyone on here that I have come across has been really nice and so helpful not like others where you introduce yourself or ask a question or two and no one responds. The people on here are wonderful.

Sorce that looks exactly like the ones I’m getting and they have been chewing on the leaves, the strange thing is I have never seen these type of bugs before in my backyard or maybe I have and never really noticed them before but yes the leaves had been chewed. I’m going to cut off all the leaves this morning and spray them so hopefully those buggers won’t have nothing to chew on ?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@GinaMarie ...I had two senior Bulldogs one 10 1/2 (Sarge) and the other 12 1/2 (Tank). Lost them two months apart. When we lost the first one...we placed a deposit on a litter that was due. Three weeks before picking up our puppy...we lost Tank. A week before we picked up our pup...the second male puppy became available again (First pick of litter he was.)So...we got them both. (I had been firmly against this, thinking of the last years and losing them one day. Then really grasp those last pages is not as important as the chapters ahead of them.) And their antics was the best medicine. We were shell shocked when we lost Tank. He has just gotten a clean bill of health two days before other than arthritis in his back legs, a hidden birth defect of the spine compressed paralyzingly him.

When we lost our very first bulldog years back...it took a few years before my heart could open to another. When we had two chinchillas...one becoming a special needs for the last four years we had him. When he passed his cage mate stopped eating. We had to rush out and find a baby for him to accept. This was hard to grasp in my mind...but we wished to not lose both. In doing that...I learned a valuable piece of information. Which was...they don't replace the one we lose...but sure do go a long way in helping us heal the pain of grief. Thus why we placed a deposit on a puppy shortly after losing Sarge.

Our announcement of bringing two puppies home in my social media page...so blessed we brought two home. Deciding to keep Larry's name the previous owner had given him...was the first time we had laughed in months. You see Sarge was ill for the last 6 months of his life.
image.jpg

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Omg ! They are so adorable !! I know what your saying and I would love to get another in time I’ll just have to convince my husband since he told no more dogs and I have always been a huge dog lover but I know I will get my way at the end ???..lol I can’t over how precious they are just makes me want another one now. I was actually looking into getting a little urn bottle necklace to put some of her ashes so you posting on here feels more like a gift sent to me ?thank you so much. Just sent me an email and I can email you any information you need and keep in touch. This is Lulu

Attachments

• 92ACE927-B659-46E4-9EC5-0FC834E0C20D.jpeg
    92ACE927-B659-46E4-9EC5-0FC834E0C20D.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 13
  • F8F97623-296A-4B35-8CB1-0CE9BFFF17FF.jpeg
    F8F97623-296A-4B35-8CB1-0CE9BFFF17FF.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 8

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Omg ! They are so adorable !! I know what your saying and I would love to get another in time I’ll just have to convince my husband since he told no more dogs and I have always been a huge dog lover but I know I will get my way at the end ???..lol I can’t over how precious they are just makes me want another one now. I was actually looking into getting a little urn bottle necklace to put some of her ashes so you posting on here feels more like a gift sent to me ?thank you so much. Just sent me an email and I can email you any information you need and keep in touch. This is Lulu
She was precious,so blessed you were to have her that many years...I rarely check my emails. Personal Message me here is the best route of my replying. I only check emails when one lets me know that they sent something. Or checking up on a package status I may have purchased.

Those pups of mine will be 2 years old on the 17th. Far from the tiny pups they once were. ?

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok that sounds good I fairly new on here so I’m still learning my way around but I’m sure I will figure it out. I looked up Lampworking Wow Darlene that is incredible and so beautiful I’m sure it take a lot skill to do that. My neighbors had two French Bulldogs and they had them has pups, they had their own little characters one was male and the other female, are so fun to watch but you could see the female was the dominant one .. lol

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We lost our younger Bichon Frise 1.5 years ago and I still think of her every day. She was the runt of the litter from the only time we ever bred our dog. Mom's still alive and will be turning 15 this month. Anyhow, just came to say I can sympathize and I feel for your loss. What a great breed, aren't they?

GinaMarie

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m so sorry for your loss as well ?. They are a wonderful breed I will get another one like Darlene said your not replacing them but filling your life with new one ?. When I got Lulu she was also the runt but they were going to keep her to breed and I wanted a female they only had a male they just happen to bring her along that day and when I saw her I just had to have her and we talked them into giving her to me, the vet was surprised she lived as long as she did because she got Cushing, Diabetes and everything that goes along with that and kidney disease pulse when she was only 3 years old she had to have pins put in both her knees. She was so special !

Top Bottom