Bugs/Growth on Azalea

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
I need some help identifying this nest or growth on my azalea. It is sucking all of the energy/life out of this tree and spreading to another azalea I have. Any help in identifying the problem and help with a solution is appreciated.

Gib

Attachments

• Azalea1.jpg
    Azalea1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 82
  • azalea2.jpg
    azalea2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 86

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's a wooly aphid or mealybug, can't tell from the pictures. Safer's soap spray, or any pyrethrin spray will ake care of them. Once they're gone, don't keep all your azaleas in close proximity to each other.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my azalea, and it very nearly killed the poor tree. I think they are Adelgids, which apparently are incredibly hard to kill. I have sprayed with Neem, insecticidal soap, and finally with Sevin (broad spectrum) with no effect. Finally I just sat down for a couple hours with a small hobby paintbrush and brushed each individual one with Sevin, squishing and poisoning... So far it seems to have worked great and the tree has recovered a lot of it's strength, but the infection is showing up again in smaller numbers. Time to paint again... Good luck!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't know where Gib is from, but "Garden Insects of North America" only lists conifers as victims of adelgids. It says: "Adelgids are a family of wooly aphids associated with conifers." and I've never run into them on anything but conifers. Adelgids may be tough to control, but wooly aphids on broad leafed plants are easily controlled with a pyrethrin spray -- or even a soap spray, though soap may take many applications.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's azalea bark scale scale, Eriococcus azaleae.

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Any thoughts on the webs shown in the first photo? I am going to brush/scrub the infected areas today and spray and see what happens.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Most webs are from spiders. I woldn't worry. Just bruch them away.

satsuki

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It is azalea bark scale as previously stated. My teacher had some on his trees and he collected and sent them to a lab to get a conformation. What I do is take a sharpened chopstick and kill each one by hand. When you see purple, you have killed them. Then spray the tree every 7 days. If you have this on one of your trees, killing it should be your #1 priority!!!

Andrew

satsuki

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, keep that tree brushed. These things bury their eggsacks in rough bark, which along with other reasons, is why we brush the trunks and branches of azaleas.

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
Andrew,

Thanks for the information. As I was removing/squashing these white spots there was purple underneath. What is your recommended spray for these?

Gib

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Azalea bark scale is another name for a "mealybug" that attacks azalea. See my first post.

Pyrethrins or soap spray, as I said. Twice.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Azalea bark scale is family Eriococcidae. Mealybug is family Pseudococcidae. But both are suborder Sternorrhyncha.

satsuki

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Andrew,

Thanks for the information. As I was removing/squashing these white spots there was purple underneath. What is your recommended spray for these?

Gib

Ortho Malathion. Every 7 days. (And spray all your trees so they dont infect other trees!)

satsuki

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Azalea bark scale is another name for a "mealybug" that attacks azalea. See my first post.

Pyrethrins or soap spray, as I said. Twice.

I don't believe they are the same thing, but I am not an entomologist.

gibmeister

Sapling
Reaction score
Andrew,

Thanks again for your kind help. I have cleaned and sprayed and will follow up in a week with another round.

Gib

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Just keep Marathon 1% (imidacloprid ) on the soil, end of problem.

Top Bottom