Bugs in soil

Mr. Joey

Seedling
Reaction score
Good evening!

Since my birthday on June 11th I'm a proud owner of 2 bonsai's after wanting one for ages.

The next day, wanting to water them, little bugs came from the soil and started crawling until the soil dried up a little, going back inside the dirt.

Whenever I try touching them, they won't jump but rather try running away or go back into the soil.

I attached a picture in the hope one of you knows what it is and what to do about it.

2-3 days without giving water seemed to have worked only a little bit but doesn't seem like a good idea for the bonsai's...

The second picture was captured seeming bigger bugs than the other ones. Not sure what they are...

Please help!

Joey

Attachments

• IMG_20220617_203724.jpg
    IMG_20220617_203724.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20220617_214112.jpg
    IMG_20220617_214112.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are probably gnats. They don’t feed off the plant. But they are sort of nasty inside lol

Mr. Joey

Seedling
Reaction score
I've done some extra research and they look like soil mites.

Any way I can delete them from existence in my tree soil?

Mr. Joey

Seedling
Reaction score
The card says zelkova, I believe thats an elm?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm totally new to all of this...

Attachments

• IMG20220618001147.jpg
    IMG20220618001147.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG20220618001200.jpg
    IMG20220618001200.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 58

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like something harmless of which the name evades me.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Mr. Joey

Seedling
Reaction score
Springtails or soil mites most likely?

Maybe harmless but rather not have critters in my home still... Should I do anything about it?

Thank you to all of you

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Springtails or soil mites most likely?

Maybe harmless but rather not have critters in my home still... Should I do anything about it?

Thank you to all of you
Hi!

I'm surprised no one has jumped on you about having them indoors yet. 😋 If you don't have a yard, a sunny balcony or very sunny window might work.

Not being outside often leads to a slow death for non-tropical trees.

In the spring, you could look into repotting into a non-organic or mostly non-organic bonsai soil, at least for the elm. I think that would help. My chinese elm is currently in an akadama mix and it's super happy.

I do believe there are also sprays and/or concoctions you can use to rid the soil of bugs and fungi. I haven't used any, but if you search around here, you will find examples.

Mr. Joey

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm surprised no one has jumped on you about having them indoors yet. 😋 If you don't have a yard, a sunny balcony or very sunny window might work.

Not being outside often leads to a slow death for non-tropical trees.

In the spring, you could look into repotting into a non-organic or mostly non-organic bonsai soil, at least for the elm. I think that would help. My chinese elm is currently in an akadama mix and it's super happy.

I do believe there are also sprays and/or concoctions you can use to rid the soil of bugs and fungi. I haven't used any, but if you search around here, you will find examples.
Oh I've never heard of akadama mix, I will look into it. Any tips on where to get it?

I do currently have them separated because I was worried about the bugs transferring from one to another, but they seem to have them both...

They usually are both behind a big window that gets very sunny. I am also planning to take them outside during the day but keep them inside at night and when it gets colder. Usually it's warmer inside than out here and sun isn't too optimal with a lot of rain.

Any tips are more than welcome!

thank you!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Zelkova is not an elm but it is similar. It belongs outside. If you keep it inside it will die. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but it will most certainly die.
The insects also belong outside.

Mr. Joey

Seedling
Reaction score
The company they bought it from said it can be inside and should be inside under 12°c.

The small tree now had some white moldy hairs on the soil today. How do I counter that?

I keep them outside during the day now whenever I can!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They lied. Plain and simple. The are going to die inside. Check the archives. It has repeatedly been discussed.
Countering the mold is simple. Put them outside in the sun.

Mr. Joey

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you all for the tips and advice. I'll make sure to keep it as much as possible!

Do I keep it inside in the winter tho? It gets pretty cold with snow etc

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. It goes outside. It needs to go dormant. If it is very very cold it may need to be heeled in.
Do you see that others members show their locations / zones? Do that so we know how to answer questions specific to your climate / needs.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you all for the tips and advice. I'll make sure to keep it as much as possible!

You give it winter protection in a cold shed (need to check on and water them occasionally) or by burying the pot up against the foundation of your house.
I keep mine in a cold frame on the north side of my house and cover it when temperatures get below 30 deg F

Please put your location on your profile so we can give you the best advice for your location.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a few Zelkova heeled in mulch. I have a couple in the ground. I have a couple that sat unprotected in their pots all winter above ground.
They all fared well and look very good. I don't coddle my plants unless they are outside their zone or close to their limit. Anything that isn't tropical stays outside.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
These mallsai 'Zelkova's' are generally not actually Zelkova's. They're usually Chinese Elms. They're wrongfully labeled Zelkova to make import easier (and thus cheaper) because Chinese elms can carry Dutch Elm disease and Zelkova's do not. At least here in Europe that's the case.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These mallsai 'Zelkova's' are generally not actually Zelkova's. They're usually Chinese Elms. They're wrongfully labeled Zelkova to make import easier (and thus cheaper) because Chinese elms can carry Dutch Elm disease and Zelkova's do not. At least here in Europe that's the case.
That is a good point I had not considered. Of course I have no idea where the op lives or if this misnaming is more universal.

Top Bottom