Build a Zelkova!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That doesn't seem to make any difference.
Well then, instead of defoliating, cut back, and cut the remaining leaves in half.

When you defoliate, did you pull the leaves off? Or cut them off?

Reaction score
Good result. Don't forget to thicken the next set of branches too. Don't cut too early. Select and wire keep the foliage. In fall prune back. Do this a few years. After that prune in summer and fall. After that start defoliating and build the fine twigs. Don't set twigs on small branches on a bigger tree. I don't see a reason to pull leaves in this stage. You can pull leaves from the base and leave the runners. Buds change colour when ready to cut back to.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
="dirk hoorelbeke, post: 515548, member: 575"]

Good result. Don't forget to thicken the next set of branches too. Don't cut too early. Select and wire keep the foliage. In fall prune back

Yes that's why I now intend to let them grow for the whole summer without pruning. The twigging will start in 3 years or more. Maybe 5??

I don't see a reason to pull leaves in this stage.

The reason is that I'm forcing more branching by doing this. I'm still looking for well placed secondary and tertiary branches at the moment. Not trying to ramify as such. I want as many well placed second and third branches as I can get so I can choose the best ones and remove the rest. When I have those I will let it grow and thicken until they are approximately 1/2 the diameter of the primaries. The whole reason for this is because the nodes are too far apart at the moment. It's a balance between super growth and some kind of control.

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well then, instead of defoliating, cut back, and cut the remaining leaves in half.

When you defoliate, did you pull the leaves off? Or cut them off?
Cut. Trust me I will get a gazillion branches in a month. Most will come off. I just want to be able to cut back hard but I want to make sure there is something to cut to. Normally, with an elm say, I would cut back to 2 nodes right away and know 100% that I will get budding at the cut but with this, it's not guaranteed. I have done the half leaf cut before with smaller trees. Even as far as cut 2/3 off the first, 1/2 of the second, and 1/3 off the third. This is how you are supposed to balance but that is way off in the future with this tree.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What I mean by ''perfect'' is that this particular tree does not seem to grow straight branches so I have abandoned the idea of growing the ''classic'' broom style with all the branches smooth and the transition from thick to thin nice and even. In other words this tree will still be a broom but the branches will have a lot more ''twists and turns'' than your classic ''perfect'' zelkova broom. As for the nebari, I don't know if I could be bothered layering or grafting roots to even that out.
I must admit though, as I'm getting older, a ''perfect'' nebari is becoming less important to me.
I like your plan and idea of the end result. Your tree has a look that is enticing...the tree has a grand character. That ground growing really paid off well!

Last edited:

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Latest. I've grafted on a couple of braches. Not confident they will take. No big deal but it would be nice. Not much has changed since the defoliation (winter now) but the skinny central leader has caught up nicely! (because I let it grow :))

P1120353 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• P1120353.JPG
    P1120353.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks nice, I would love to see the tree with leaves too.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just taken from the bed.. nebari now about 8 inches across. I normally don't handle trees this big but damned if I'm not going to make a nice zel!
It started in a pot for 8 years. No good. In the ground one year. A bit better. In the ground another 2 without touching it.
Nebari is not perfect and never will be. Branch transitions are not perfect and never will be.
We will see what happens from here..........

View attachment 149183

trimmed a bit
View attachment 149184

Final prune
View attachment 149185

A box of matches.
View attachment 149186

very coarse mix for huge fertilizer dump it's going to get. (Not the normal mix for elms!)
View attachment 149187

Potted.
View attachment 149188
This tree is cool.When You first posted I thought ,yea,well a massive broom zelkova.
I have dabbled in Zelkova for a little while and just recently learned they can actually live 1000 years!
They start looking like old Oak trees,sometimes.
Kind of changed my outlook on styling some of them.
Nice work.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats something I can sink my choppers into. Thanks for that.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
"F that!" Is what the Zelcova said.

My curious side is asking me what's the "F" on the left sids all about?

This is a fun tree! Nice!

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I really like how the shape of this tree flows. It is going to be a reference tree for the air layers I am taking to be broom style.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice structure, but it strikes me that there don't seem to be many branches coming from the front side of the tree. Was that done purposefully?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is truly fascinating.
Thank you Michael.
Good Day
Anthony

*maybe one day our fustic will look as impressive as your zelkova.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice continued work on the tree. My Zelkova resembles a rough textured utility pole. Your trunk has a great deal of character and weight. Well done!

Top Bottom