Build the Branch First - Then Graft It

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I found this video and it was an eye opener for me. Thought I'd share for non-spanish speakers. He tells a story here of grafting as efficiently as possible, and how to maximize time. The message I took - when you identify the need to graft (typically approach grafts), bring your approach branch into place via wire, and keep it connected to the main trunk, without grafting first and let the branch grow established into it's location + size. Months/years later, after you have ramification happening and it's developed enough to fit the silhouette and has good light - that's when you cut-in the approach graft.

I've always done the opposite - I identify the need to graft in a spot. Then I cut in a tiny approach graft. Once it connects, separate from the main branch and then slooowly the branch develops off the newly grafted connection. Takes forever because the graft is trying to establish itself and 'replumb' it's connection to the roots.

Example:

This ficus, I felt like it needed an extending branch on the right. So, I grafted in a small scion graft, with hopes of developing into the blue lines below.

64CDDA9E-85E2-472E-92E5-F17D743DBDD1.jpg

It was successful, and I let the graft run, it's the little scion, yellow below. Covered and shaded by the other branches.

5EA06B39-A58A-4B2D-89FD-F6BA51A7CB8E.jpg

It grew eventually - but it took forever to thicken and I lost a LOT of time/development keeping the top branches cut back and keeping light on it.

A7B93A09-49C8-4D81-8EAE-7C6AB7692769.jpg

E445387B-E701-4D83-AADD-F4E1D7BE941E.jpg

If I was going to do it again - I'd let one of the first sacrifice branches run wild, and wire it tight to the trunk on the back - thickening the main left branch as it runs (win). Get it into the sun on the right side of the tree and start developing it in place. I could have kept developing the rest of the tree and saved easily a year of time, instead of waiting for the tiny graft to grow through the shade.

98BE6D75-FA9F-4B01-B8A5-D0A53E586C50.jpg

Hopefully that's helpful to someone else - it was a big lightbulb moment for me.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I watch it yesterday, there are a few people that do a similar technique here so it wasn't exactly a revelation but a refresher. I did a similar approach with my ficus. I don't have pictures with the branch bent into position with the wire. Also. it is the same technique, but done with rooted cuttings that Bjorn has done with junipers, where he grafts small rooted trees into bigger ones as branches.

May 21
1674232079196.jpeg

AUG 21
1674232092545.jpeg

NOV 22
1674232200286.png

1674232215014.png

MeDupree

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would you tell me where to find those green push pins? I hope to practice some grafting techniques this Spring. Thanks

I watch it yesterday, there are a few people that do a similar technique here so it wasn't exactly a revelation but a refresher. I did a similar approach with my ficus. I don't have pictures with the branch bent into position with the wire. Also. it is the same technique, but done with rooted cuttings that Bjorn has done with junipers, where he grafts small rooted trees into bigger ones as branches.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I get mine here:

Top Bottom