Building a twin trunk cork bark elm

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So this is the result of a failed air layer last year. I attempted to air layer this very close to the ground in order to eliminate a straight section of the trunk. I took the top off too early and it died. $20 bucks down the drain, or so I thought. It started pushing sprouts and 2 made it. So I wrapped it with some padding and a hose clamp, a technique I've seen on here.

This is (hopefully) for a progress thread. I've been creeping around on here long enough so I guess I'll start sharing. All I did today was pull the clamp, removed some dead/rotting bark and put some paste on it. Then reinstalled the clamp and padding.

QUESTION! should I allow it to continue to grow as is or, should I begin to wire some type of movement into the trunks now, before they're fused? I think my goal may be a twin trunk in the form of a very close V.

Attachments

• 20200412_135611.jpg
    20200412_135611.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 20200412_140001.jpg
    20200412_140001.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 69

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So this is the result of a failed air layer last year. I attempted to air layer this very close to the ground in order to eliminate a straight section of the trunk. I took the top off too early and it died. $20 bucks down the drain, or so I thought. It started pushing sprouts and 2 made it. So I wrapped it with some padding and a hose clamp, a technique I've seen on here.

This is (hopefully) for a progress thread. I've been creeping around on here long enough so I guess I'll start sharing. All I did today was pull the clamp, removed some dead/rotting bark and put some paste on it. Then reinstalled the clamp and padding.

QUESTION! should I allow it to continue to grow as is or, should I begin to wire some type of movement into the trunks now, before they're fused? I think my goal may be a twin trunk in the form of a very close V.
Do you have a yard to grow it in? I've got exactly the same project going but mine's chilling in the garden.

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Under my grass is sand sand and more sand. I wish I had a raised bed to put it in.

Top Bottom