Building a wet slab bonsai pot

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is a copy of an antique pot that I found interesting enough to make a new one. Not my usual MO. I altered the proportions a bit. The geometry of the pot didn't lend itself to my current technique so a hybrid process was used. WHAT A PITA!!! It's a little busy looking but I think I have a tree for it. Might try a fake soda firing.

View attachment 469918View attachment 469919
Very clean, precise work as always.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Look ma, no feet!!

So this one was more about no warping. I used standard 420 which is similar to working with mortar mix because of so much grog.
Wondering why no feet??

FFAB2459-5249-4700-B30F-BE32190F586B.jpeg

This was made from red balau, which is a very dense wood. So dense that it actually sinks in water. The pot was inlet into the frame similar to a stone and daiza. I used this wood because of its rot resistance as it will spend its days outside with the tree. The wood will be finished with SWR……sun, wind and rain.
588FEFAA-BF3D-4BED-A5E3-01402F43C2B3.jpeg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look ma, no feet!!

So this one was more about no warping. I used standard 420 which is similar to working with mortar mix because of so much grog.
Wondering why no feet??

View attachment 472642

This was made from red balau, which is a very dense wood. So dense that it actually sinks in water. The pot was inlet into the frame similar to a stone and daiza. I used this wood because of its rot resistance as it will spend its days outside with the tree. The wood will be finished with SWR……sun, wind and rain.
View attachment 472643
What a fascinating composition. What do you think you might plant in it?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
WOW! Just found this thread. What a wealth of information. @ABCarve thank you so much for sharing your technique and knowledge, and keeping this thread updated.
Any more workshops in the future?
Glad you’re enjoying the thread. Do you have basic clay skills and knowledge? If you don’t, I would have to spend too much time with those things and not much time on the techniques. If you have that part under your belt, next thing is trying to work a schedule or you may just watch the videos on YouTube shown on post #351. I’m done with pots by April. This is a dicey place to travel to in the winter or early spring (ask Pitoon). So next opportunity is fall 2024.

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Glad you’re enjoying the thread. Do you have basic clay skills and knowledge? If you don’t, I would have to spend too much time with those things and not much time on the techniques. If you have that part under your belt, next thing is trying to work a schedule or you may just watch the videos on YouTube shown on post #351. I’m done with pots by April. This is a dicey place to travel to in the winter or early spring (ask Pitoon). So next opportunity is fall 2024.
Yes, I think I can work on my basic skills till the fall of 2024. 😉
Had a slow day at work today and already watched YouTube.

ForrestW

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Beautiful-- what is your firing plan. I saw you participated in a train kiln wood firing-- are these going gas reduction, electric, or wood or a variety?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Weather there is dicey for sure! One day is nice and then the next day 6" of snow. I did have a good time hanging out making pots.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Could you tell us what the blue "crumbles" are? Are they glaze crystals?
The blue stuff is coarse grog which I fired in a saggar with some cobalt which turned it blue. I actually made it for using in a suiban instead of sand for a stone that I have. These were leftovers from that and I thought I'd experiment with it. One pot has it pressed into the surface and the other has it mixed right into the clay body. The cobalt on the grog will influence the glaze I put over it......stay tuned!
Beautiful-- what is your firing plan. I saw you participated in a train kiln wood firing-- are these going gas reduction, electric, or wood or a variety?
These will all be electric ^9. I've kinda gave up the wood firing. The people I fire with like the extended firing time (48 hrs) for the added ash it blows onto to the pot. That mostly turns into a lot of grey goo that's not my cup of tea. It really limits glaze possibility. Also the extreme heat ^13 make for a lot of cracked pots. Pretty brutal in there.

Top Bottom