Building a wet slab bonsai pot

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would replace “art” for “skill “. In another life I did boat building. The same techniques used for forming the compound curves in boats and half-models of boats were used here. Fusing this technique into ceramics was the “creative “ part. Given that, it doesn’t take a lot of skill to make a rectangular form. It does take some perseverance to smoothly encase that form with clay. I thank you for your kind words but I’m trying to remove the mystery and put it within the grasp of people who might like to try. In their efforts they may move the technique forward with new design. 4EB8B3E7-9555-46F5-8928-35D243AA1EDA.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe a bit of a thread bomb, but I've been a fan of this pot you made

fe2328067a9180426f8d3389c4a78606.jpg

and I think I just saw it in a Bjorn video with a tree in it.

Am I right or am I right??

Nice! I saw that but just (at the time) thought, "that's a dope lip".

That has been a Fave of mine too!

Sorce

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I used that same boat building technique for building carved wooden vessels. Instead of clay I used wood carving chips, the part you usually sweep off the floor. This was the genesis of using it for clay.

Attachments

• IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 82

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Interesting ABC,

K also takes a block of clay and carves the shapes.
There is a Japanese book that shows how they do it.
Good Day
Anthony
It's actually known as "descriptive geometry". These days its very common in CAD for describing complex surfaces. I'm doing the low tech version with a pencil, compass and ruler.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So this year I'm trying a little shortcut. I make carved wooden ribs to shape banding, feet profiles and lips, but now I'm using them to form the entire profile of the pot. Much quicker and variations are easily modified. One plug makes any number of different designs. The whole pot can be completed in one session except for some minor cleanup.

IMG_3263.jpegIMG_3260.jpegIMG_3261.jpegIMG_3264.jpeg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, it that time of year again and I have to refamiliarize myself. Trying out some modifications to the process. Starting out with a little art nouveau free-form for a rosemary in need of a smaller pot. @Vin

View attachment 332830
I will keep it in my thoughts and prayers.. That thing is gorgeous! I want to get my weeping out of the ground and in a pot but I'll have to go big for now.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So this year I'm trying a little shortcut. I make carved wooden ribs to shape banding, feet profiles and lips, but now I'm using them to form the entire profile of the pot. Much quicker and variations are easily modified. One plug makes any number of different designs. The whole pot can be completed in one session except for some minor cleanup.

View attachment 333145View attachment 333146View attachment 333147View attachment 333148
One might say you know what you're doing!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I will keep it in my thoughts and prayers.. That thing is gorgeous! I want to get my weeping out of the ground and in a pot but I'll have to go big for now.
I don't think I'll have to do a lot of root reduction because of all the overhang on the slab pot. The slab is about 12" and the new one about 9.5". But I'll take all the thought and prayers I can get.;)

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't think I'll have to do a lot of root reduction because of all the overhang on the slab pot. The slab is about 12" and the new one about 9.5". But I'll take all the thought and prayers I can get.;)
Are you going to keep as much soil intact as you can or will you try and replace it?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Are you going to keep as much soil intact as you can or will you try and replace it?
Good question!!!! Not sure..... I would like too get some new soil in there but.........I'll have to see just what it is. It's been in that for 5-6 years. Scary, but I think worth the effort.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This would make great educational material for both this thread and The Rosemary Thread if you're up to it. I don't think I've ever seen a "step-by-step" repot with photos on Rosemary. Most people are unnecessarily scared of Rosemary because there just isn't a lot of information out there to help.

Top Bottom