Building Outdoor Beds

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hello, thank you all for this site. The resources are amazing. Also the people. I have so many questions that i just cant find direct answers to, so this is great. I am wanting to build beds on
my property. I have a lot on a lake, so irrigation is not a problem. I have a pump in the water, and
can water whenever. I have a backhoe and bobcat and access to lots of soils or materials. What is the best way to build beds? I am thinking there should be stone on the bottom for quick drainage, even have pipes to get water out? Lay the pipes on the ground, cover with a washed stone? We have red clay soils here, so i know i need to add something to it for better drainage? Put this mix on top with mulch, and fabric? any ideas on how to make this plan better, or am i thinking all wrong?

Thanks again
Brad

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First off, why are you building beds?

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
The area of my yard that gets the most sun stays too wet for pines. I thought it would be the best idea to build up the areas i want to plant in.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My question was more what are you trying to grow in the raised bed and for what purpose? In other words, what do you want to do with the pines--grow out trunks, refine roots, what's the goal?

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Sorry about that. I have seedlings that are about 1/4" in diameter. So id say probably 2 years old. I also have some that are around 1" diameter trunks, that i bought that have been wired, and they are in pond baskets. THey have been somewhat shaped but with sacrificial branches on them, so im thinking i would replant them To get larger trunks. Should i take them out of the baskets before planting? I have several mugho pines that i bought from the nursery. I have some zuisho pines that are from cuttings. All of which i want to plant to enlarge the trunks, but i know they are funny about the soil being too wet. Is it better to just let them go, or do some small shaping along the way to grow it like you want. Ive been told to spade around the rootball each year after planting to help keep the roots more refined in closer to the trunk. Ive also got one larger spindly seedling that id like to grow into a permanent yard specimen. Keep it shaped like a bonsai, but on a larger scale. I could even see multiple trees in the yard. Maybe eventually 15' high or so. I know it will be a long wait.

Last edited:

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they are that small (the 1/4" ones), are you worried about their viability in a growing bed? I know in my area, if I planted seedlings that were that small, the rabbits and other critters would have enjoy them as lunch.

Also, if they are that small, I would worry about wind, heavy rains, etc. blowing them out as they might not have a big enough root system to keep them anchored.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
So probably the best thing to do with the small ones it keep in a growing pot, and keep protected?

Top Bottom