Building some branches on a couple pines

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These two pines were cut back at a recent workshop event. Some wire and care was put in place. Will update thru the years on development.

DSC_00760076.JPG DSC_00820082 (2).JPG DSC_00020001.JPG

The next one

DSC_00020002.JPG DSC_00800080.JPG DSC_00100001.JPG

Ready to be cut again soon

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fucali!

Nice!

I'll watch the updates!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Smoke, it looks like some of your growth is from needle buds that popped. Is that correct?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke, it looks like some of your growth is from needle buds that popped. Is that correct?
Some, maybe 90/10 adventitious and needle. Most of the needle buds came from any buds that were on the ends that I cut back. Most of the buds came out along the length of the branches or even out of old trunk wood. Both tree are the same in the way they budded. I have recently pruned a whole batch of small pines recently to take advantage of the cooler weather. I'm not looking at refining techniques right now and just trying to build small branches with buds on them. I can do that three times a year and then skip a year.

DSC_00030001.JPG DSC_00040002.JPG DSC_00050003.JPG DSC_00060004.JPG DSC_00070005.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update on the small pines nearing the end of summer. The dog days of summer. Still in the high to mid 100's here, was 108 on Monday and Tues. Only hit 99 today.

The larger of the two.

DSC_00020001.JPG

and the smaller

DSC_00030002.JPG

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Holy crap. I had no idea you could do all that to a little pine and have it live.
These are Japanese Black Pines? Thanks for sharing these Al.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like that first one a LOT! Damn, I need to make a trip to Cali to see your Pine guy!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Take special notice of the needles. Glossy and deep green. You don't get that with cheap fertilizer.

View attachment 80324 View attachment 80323
What kind of fert do you use Al?

Lemme guess... Bat guano! That seems to be the fert of choice from all the Cali brands we get over here- companies based out of "Humbolt County"....

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grow More triple 20, 100% water soluble, in an injector. I pay about $60.00 for a 25 pound bag. It is formulated for injectors and is chelated so all the micros stay in solution and the nitrogen is from NA4, (ammonium nitrate) which is available to the plant at the moment it hits the soil. Plants can only eat NA4 so all other fertilizer must be broken down to usable components for use.

Another thing, many of the current black pine crowd is passing off this whole candle prune in June thing and cut the fertilizer. Mostly these guys are using organic fertilizer in the form of cakes which are slow release, slow to bacterilize and slow to start performing. They are also slow to stop. Start fertilizer cakes in Feb. and it takes about 60 days for the bacteria to break down the humates to na4 for the plant to absorb. So cakes are not full performance till April. Stop them in June, and they continue to breakdown and provide na4 for months after removal. Use ammonium nitrate and stop on Monday and fertilizer is stopped on Tuesday with wash thru....period.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of fert do you use Al?

Lemme guess... Bat guano! That seems to be the fert of choice from all the Cali brands we get over here- companies based out of "Humbolt County"....
Organic and slow. There is a time for slow, when the tree is done and you want everything small, like twigs and leaves. When building trees we need something with punch like all the crap the body builders use like whey powder and things like that. Protein for humans and usable nitrogen for plants. Its funny, whey powder is the most simple and fastest source of protein for humans on the planet and the reason why babies grow so fast. Think of na4 as that same source of protein, except for plants. Thats the difference and what I tried to explain in the JKL debacle. Obviously poorly.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a whey protein shake for breakfast on the way to work every morning. Now I know why I can barely fit in my Dockers!!
Careful not to over fertilize Dave, you might burn your roots!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Untitled.png
Hmmm. I may have to try this stuff next year.
Thanks for sharing, Smoke.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this really a problem? Just wondering....
Only for the guys working on pines that stop the fertilizer after decandling to supress needle extension. Those cakes are broken down in the soil and are being converted to nitrate by bacteria. Just taking them off the soil surface is not holding back fertilizer. By the time it stops, the new cakes are being put back on.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I'm not anywhere near that for mine yet, I put more on actually after buds appear...

Top Bottom