Building trees with @KiwiPlantGuy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Smoke,
I am thinking that your method looks doable, with 2 plus flushes of growth per year. But with the OP’s climate he might not get a second flush. Or maybe he could/should with heaps of fertilizer. As you said tho, he should try different methods to learn what works for him.
As for your method and ramification vs growing primary branches first? Talking about deciduous trees, can you explain a bit further for the novice here about the overall system?
I understand the growing trunks first, but do I use your method to grow everything after the trunk sections, or is it only a secondary and tertiary branch method?
Sorry for the questions, as I can’t buy pre-bonsai material to work with.
The photo below is the closest I have to building a tree from. I am chopping most of the top off then how does one move forward?

View attachment 245599
Charles
Seen no need to screw up further the other guys thread.
Hi Charles, but Whoa, Whoa, back the pony up!

I never said this was an alternative to primary branches. What I do to maples is mostly after the tree is done or almost done and one could call "refinement technique".

What you are asking is all over the place about building a tree.

We are talking:
Trunk Building
Branch Building
Internode management
And refinement.

I have not included nebari here because that is something that you only get one shot at for the year and most of it takes place in the pot anyway so it can be done while building the top of the tree.

TRUNKS
Anyone remember Ripsgreentree? The guy where I earned my reputation fighting with on a daily basis back on BonsaiTALK. The forum called us Itchy and Scratchy. Well what everyone didn't know was that we are best friends. Glenn Vanwinkle has had a lot of health issues over the last four years and is doing better.

DSC_00450030.JPG 001.JPG DSC_00500001.JPG

Glenn makes trunks and roots. Some of the best stuff you will see. He is very good at building good flat bases and getting radial roots spreads. He does "pretty" good at building the trunks. About 4 out of 10 are worthy. Thats for me, many of you might see that different, and they do cause Glenn has probably sold more material than all the trees on this forum. That ain't no exaggeration. Even Boon has bought loads of trees from Glenn. Glenn used to have 40 acres in rows of trees. He hasn't had property to work for many decades. The last picture above is of Glenn sifting soil in his mechanical shaker he called Cali-dama. Tons have gone thru that shaker.

So back to trunks. I think bonsai can be divided into mediums. It is definitely that way in Japan where people may grow nothing but liners. Then someone may grow them up to 1 inch with some wire on the trunk. Then a grower may specialize in growing it out to 3 inch trunks and some branch stubs to work off of. At this point is where a lot of material is finally in the hands of the bonsai artisan. It is at this point that the pecking order I talked about starts to work.

Walter Pall may be able to get his hands on material in the $10,000.00 dollar range, and be able to buy it.

Sergio may be buying $5,000.00 material

BVF may be buying $2000.00 material

and I am buying $500.00 material

We each will be working on material that reflects the price we have paid for it. This does not account for talent that may allow BVF to make a better tree than Sergio's at a higher initial cost. That's not the point, the point is, we all have a certain amount of money to spend and the more you can spend the better the material you will be able to afford. Now if you don't have access, (any one remember my long article at bonsaiTALK about Talent, access and means?) you will have to grow your own.

I take the easy way out. I buy trunks, like a lot here. If you have to make your own, I can, but I don't have the time or the space to plant in the ground, if you can find someone to show you how to grow a trunk out. It will require so much space and time to explain that I am winded just thinking about that. I have shown some of the process on my blog below. It's just time and space,selective pruning a little luck and nothing more

BRANCHES
For sake of time I am speaking more about deciduous trees than conifers. My method does not concern branches either. pruning for internode length is done on branches there not to produce the branch, though I do use it to keep the branch in check close to the trunk. I like to graft. On maples I usually will graft at least half the branches on. It just gets them where I want them. Buds are notorious about failing where you want them. All I can say about branches is get them where you want them and then have the patience to allow them to grow until they reach the size you want. I'm not very patient and am working on lasting till the branch is the correct size.
Last year I lost two branches on this cork elm and am in the process of building new ones. It budded in two pretty good locations, not perfect but OK. Corks don't graft well so that was out of the question. They bud profusely so just wait it out. They are wired and have not been pruned this year, and I won't. If I'm lucky the will be four feet long by Fall. I'll just roll up the shoots soon and keep them in check by allowing the tip to grow. The one to the left is another corker. The big one is having it's top layered off. It now has some roots and I am excited. It has buds all over the top, one popped in the perfect place.

DSC_0002.JPG

This is the large shohin layer. The best way to get good trunks with a large size and ready to fit into a pot.

The top of the tree.

08.JPG

The layer
I didn't keep the very top because it had a bulb.

023.JPG

The shoot that popped right on the elbow on the trunk. Couldn't be more perfect. Those shoots right above the circle at the base of the leader will be a shoot that the leader will be cut back to in a month or two. That will be the top of the canopy right there. After the canopy is chosen and branches set, is when I begin cutting back weekly to establish internode length. This cork elm is pretty good in that respect, it's not too coarse. This trunk will be 5 inches across the bottom and 7 inches tall.

red.jpg

I know this doesn't help much with building a tree from scratch. I didn't have anyone to ask way back when, just had to find my own way by experimenting and cutting lots of trees and seeing what they do. Some died, some lived, some became bonsai. Most didn't.

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Seen no need to screw up further the other guys thread.
Hi Charles, but Whoa, Whoa, back the pony up!

I never said this was an alternative to primary branches. What I do to maples is mostly after the tree is done or almost done and one could call "refinement technique".

What you are asking is all over the place about building a tree.

We are talking:
Trunk Building
Branch Building
Internode management
And refinement.

I have not included nebari here because that is something that you only get one shot at for the year and most of it takes place in the pot anyway so it can be done while building the top of the tree.

TRUNKS
Anyone remember Ripsgreentree? The guy where I earned my reputation fighting with on a daily basis back on BonsaiTALK. The forum called us Itchy and Scratchy. Well what everyone didn't know was that we are best friends. Glenn Vanwinkle has had a lot of health issues over the last four years and is doing better.

View attachment 245626 View attachment 245627 View attachment 245628

Glenn makes trunks and roots. Some of the best stuff you will see. He is very good at building good flat bases and getting radial roots spreads. He does "pretty" good at building the trunks. About 4 out of 10 are worthy. Thats for me, many of you might see that different, and they do cause Glenn has probably sold more material than all the trees on this forum. That ain't no exaggeration. Even Boon has bought loads of trees from Glenn. Glenn used to have 40 acres in rows of trees. He hasn't had property to work for many decades. The last picture above is of Glenn sifting soil in his mechanical shaker he called Cali-dama. Tons have gone thru that shaker.

So back to trunks. I think bonsai can be divided into mediums. It is definitely that way in Japan where people may grow nothing but liners. Then someone may grow them up to 1 inch with some wire on the trunk. Then a grower may specialize in growing it out to 3 inch trunks and some branch stubs to work off of. At this point is where a lot of material is finally in the hands of the bonsai artisan. It is at this point that the pecking order I talked about starts to work.

Walter Pall may be able to get his hands on material in the $10,000.00 dollar range, and be able to buy it.

Sergio may be buying $5,000.00 material

BVF may be buying $2000.00 material

and I am buying $500.00 material

We each will be working on material that reflects the price we have paid for it. This does not account for talent that may allow BVF to make a better tree than Sergio's at a higher initial cost. That's not the point, the point is, we all have a certain amount of money to spend and the more you can spend the better the material you will be able to afford. Now if you don't have access, (any one remember my long article at bonsaiTALK about Talent, access and means?) you will have to grow your own.

I take the easy way out. I buy trunks, like a lot here. If you have to make your own, I can, but I don't have the time or the space to plant in the ground, if you can find someone to show you how to grow a trunk out. It will require so much space and time to explain that I am winded just thinking about that. I have shown some of the process on my blog below. It's just time and space,selective pruning a little luck and nothing more

BRANCHES
For sake of time I am speaking more about deciduous trees than conifers. My method does not concern branches either. pruning for internode length is done on branches there not to produce the branch, though I do use it to keep the branch in check close to the trunk. I like to graft. On maples I usually will graft at least half the branches on. It just gets them where I want them. Buds are notorious about failing where you want them. All I can say about branches is get them where you want them and then have the patience to allow them to grow until they reach the size you want. I'm not very patient and am working on lasting till the branch is the correct size.
Last year I lost two branches on this cork elm and am in the process of building new ones. It budded in two pretty good locations, not perfect but OK. Corks don't graft well so that was out of the question. They bud profusely so just wait it out. They are wired and have not been pruned this year, and I won't. If I'm lucky the will be four feet long by Fall. I'll just roll up the shoots soon and keep them in check by allowing the tip to grow. The one to the left is another corker. The big one is having it's top layered off. It now has some roots and I am excited. It has buds all over the top, one popped in the perfect place.

View attachment 245629

This is the large shohin layer. The best way to get good trunks with a large size and ready to fit into a pot.

The top of the tree.

View attachment 245630

The layer
I didn't keep the very top because it had a bulb.

View attachment 245631

The shoot that popped right on the elbow on the trunk. Couldn't be more perfect. Those shoots right above the circle at the base of the leader will be a shoot that the leader will be cut back to in a month or two. That will be the top of the canopy right there. After the canopy is chosen and branches set, is when I begin cutting back weekly to establish internode length. This cork elm is pretty good in that respect, it's not too coarse. This trunk will be 5 inches across the bottom and 7 inches tall.

View attachment 245632

I know this doesn't help much with building a tree from scratch. I didn't have anyone to ask way back when, just had to find my own way by experimenting and cutting lots of trees and seeing what they do. Some died, some lived, some became bonsai. Most didn't.

Hi Al,
Wow, I am grateful and honoured you have spent the time to explain this, so thank you.
2 points I need to ask questions about, mainly because I am impatient and learning how to not be. I am in the nursery trade and everything is grown to be ready from 6 - 24 months, not 6-24 years !!

1. Most of my nursery material is less than 2 inch girth, and my common stumbling block is the ratio of trunk to finished height and a believable tree. Let them grow VS smaller tree and/or skinny etc. Your comments please. Photo below for reference as I was/am thinking of chopping this down to the lowest branch as the new trunk line.
3516F1DE-1B5B-49FA-94A6-7B9D2E204689.jpeg5A06AE10-BDFF-4DAE-86C8-F77E253E219A.jpeg

2. Approach graft VS thread graft.
I see you are a fan of the approach graft where others on the forum use thread grafts.
Is this a personal choice or is it “horses for courses”?
I have read most of your blog and pictures about branch building, great stuff there!
I am looking forward to your responses and I am sure many beginners like myself will enjoy this resource.
Charles

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Al,
Wow, I am grateful and honoured you have spent the time to explain this, so thank you.
2 points I need to ask questions about, mainly because I am impatient and learning how to not be. I am in the nursery trade and everything is grown to be ready from 6 - 24 months, not 6-24 years !!

1. Most of my nursery material is less than 2 inch girth, and my common stumbling block is the ratio of trunk to finished height and a believable tree. Let them grow VS smaller tree and/or skinny etc. Your comments please. Photo below for reference as I was/am thinking of chopping this down to the lowest branch as the new trunk line.
View attachment 245738View attachment 245739

2. Approach graft VS thread graft.
I see you are a fan of the approach graft where others on the forum use thread grafts.
Is this a personal choice or is it “horses for courses”?
I have read most of your blog and pictures about branch building, great stuff there!
I am looking forward to your responses and I am sure many beginners like myself will enjoy this resource.
Charles
I prefer approach grafts because they seem to take faster and I can graft on a much larger branch. And...I don't have two holes in the trunk. I have seen trunks get a hollow on the entry side of thread grafts. A depression or just not heal there quickly.

For most intents and purposes, one inch of trunk to 6 inches of height is pretty good. A shohin tree with a 1 inch trunk looks pretty darn good, whereas a 2 foot tree with a 1 inch trunk looks very literati. 6/1 is a good ratio. Obviously you can play with that if needed.

What I would do if I were you is cut the plant down by half. Let it shoot all over the trunk, then cut to your leader the next season. having a lot of shoots all over the trunk will insure that the side opposite the leader will continue on. you won't get a "dead" side like so many of the tree chops I see here.

There is a comment on my blog, and I posted it, even though it was pretty sarcastic. He goes on to tell me in my diagrams I drew that if you "chop a maple like that I guarantee it will die". The part he failed to read is that just prior to the photo I went on to say "The drawings do not reflect branches left at the chops for clarity. " That is copy and pasted from my blog.

So...even when you make the best intention to dot the I's and cross the T's someone snarky will come in and rip your heart out. I am pretty sure they are people I know or have had contact with on this forum or the past seven I have been on. I thought is was funny to see the comment so I left it. I didn't make a smart ass reply, I'm just not that petty. You guys might all think so but it's not true. You guys are family and I'm the out spoken Uncle you have to deal with!!!

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Smoke - what is your favorite source or method for selecting and purchasing "trunks"? Recognizing the ratio of diameter:height thing, generally, what do you look for?
Paul

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Smoke - what is your favorite source or method for selecting and purchasing "trunks"? Recognizing the ratio of diameter:height thing, generally, what do you look for?
Paul
Uncle @Smoke I’m sure will give you his opinion, and I know this is his thread, but I’ll just briefly say that depends on the species of tree. But, generally, what I look for is appropriate taper and good nebari. Branches can be built. I prefer no reverse taper, and minimal scars. Unless, the Shari is a feature. Like I said, “it depends”.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Paul
I havn't purchased any big trunks for a long time, last ones about 2015. I have purchased some small shohin size type of trees for working on. I just don't wish any more large trees. Just too much work and hard to repot. I like to stay in the 6/1 ratio for shohin as it looks good. If I go one way or the other it is usually larger. More like 6/2.

I look for movement, taper and what it can become in the future. Thats the biggest thing. If you can't see what this will be in the future and have no plan to get it there you should not buy it. Just buying something and hoping for the best is kind of in the ameture realm. Must start thinking like a professional.

The few more recent purchases in the past two years.

Attachments

• DSC_00321.JPG
    DSC_00321.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_00580001.JPG
    DSC_00580001.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 32

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first tree in the montage is a small cork elm.

I have a ton of projects going on right now. Building a new patio and dealing with an air conditioner going out when it was 102 last week. Got the AC fixed for $1350.00 and the patio is coming along pretty good. Changing the trim color on the house while I'm at it. That's what I get for retiring! Working harder now than I did when I was working!!

Made time to put some first wire on this little tiny elm. The branches are growing so fast in full sun. 100 today. The 28th will be six months since I purchased the stump, and didn't even know if it was alive.

Will dewire and rewire in 30 days.

62605404_195595568020589_6593830309047828480_n.jpg

62916684_2245882418860764_5420693832192753664_n.jpg

01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi @Smoke (Al)
I thought I would revisit this thread you have been so helpful with. I plan on starting a thread with this beast below.
Story is simple. Lady at my local bonsai club had this planted in her front yard but has done nothing but prune the top each year for the last 10 years or so. 22525CF2-EFE0-4FD0-99F3-6E041243349A.jpeg
4EB4F340-10D5-4BD3-8DB1-D3C696E165D5.jpeg
So I dug this out a month or so back in the dead of winter. Took about 2 hours with a spade and hand saw for the roots. The picture doesn’t show its best front and a lot of the nebari is hidden. The box is 12 inches (30cm) deep and mix is straight pumice.
So I got myself a trunk and 4 mega sub-trunks, and realising it will need 1-2 years to recover as I hammered the roots, sawing off the bottom but still had 6-8 inches of rootage.
Sorry for the long story, but looking at what I have here, could you offer a few suggestions going forward when the tree is ready etc.

Thanks for reading, Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It’s a trident and no one commented.
Not surprised sadly as our season is opposite and all.
Ok, in a year or two I will make a thread for this one, as I will be learning root grafts and making trunk choices.
Charles

Top Bottom