Built a new bench for my trees

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
2 2x10x8 pieces of wood sanded and stained with dark walnut.
And small solid cinderblocks. Need one more stack of cinderblocks in the middle, until then 2 of the heavier trees will be on the outside of the bench. Really liking this one. Thinking of making another connect on the right side at a 90 degree angle. What do you think?

IMG_5313.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG IMG_5317.JPG IMG_5319.JPG

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am digging it, Eddy.

I just made one this weekend. I "splurged" a little by using cedar.

Smells awesome after watering!

IMG_0968.JPG

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Eddy,
Nice and solid and stable.
Open up the gap between those boards, and let the front board overhang the blocks 1 1/2" - 2".
Definitely, more trees, not more blocks.
CW

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Eddy,
Nice and solid and stable.
Open up the gap between those boards, and let the front board overhang the blocks 1 1/2" - 2".
Definitely, more trees, not more blocks.
CW
Hard to tell in pics but here's a better one. It overhangs on front and back about 1.5-2 inches.

IMG_5326.JPG

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Firstly, that's a neat/good-looking simple little bench there, hope it's looking better now that you've filled it! Happy to have stumbled-onto your thread while searching the site for this topic as I'm mid-way through building a new table myself, anyways though I have to ask about that crape myrtle!! I'm in FL and just getting into crape myrtles (have been doing bougie yammas for around a year), it's funny but my first crape was some weeks ago and I had to jam it into a similar container as yours:
19700606_024648.jpg
[EDIT- forgot to ask this, but in your post you say you got that crape yesterday, while the shoots pictured are easily a week's worth of growth after it having been hard-chopped. Was that a 2-step extraction/transplant, cut one week then excavated the next?]

Anyways though I wanted to ask you, if you've got experience with doing these larger crape yamadori (this guy is my first, though I've got several equal or larger bougie yamadori), when do you begin removing shoots? When you remove them, how do you choose which branch to keep if >1 are growing from the same spot, do you remove the more or less mature one?

Thanks for any advice on this, I know from my experience with bougies that areas where there's too-many shoots get thin shoots, compared to areas with less shoots that end up much thicker - here's an illustration of those, respectively, from the same bougie (one side had more shoots than the other):
19700606_024831.jpg19700606_024746.jpg

In the left photo, on the side that had many more shoots, I've removed a good amount but should've removed more, sooner, I think - I've noticed that, at least with bougies, they can have a tendency towards growing more foliage than their roots can support (leading to incredibly quick-to-wilt foliage on hot days), am really starting to think that it's not only worth removing redundant shoots for aesthetic reasons but also to reduce the load on that section of roots!

Last edited:

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Firstly, that's a neat/good-looking simple little bench there, hope it's looking better now that you've filled it! Happy to have stumbled-onto your thread while searching the site for this topic as I'm mid-way through building a new table myself, anyways though I have to ask about that crape myrtle!! I'm in FL and just getting into crape myrtles (have been doing bougie yammas for around a year), it's funny but my first crape was some weeks ago and I had to jam it into a similar container as yours:
View attachment 156682
[EDIT- forgot to ask this, but in your post you say you got that crape yesterday, while the shoots pictured are easily a week's worth of growth after it having been hard-chopped. Was that a 2-step extraction/transplant, cut one week then excavated the next?]

Anyways though I wanted to ask you, if you've got experience with doing these larger crape yamadori (this guy is my first, though I've got several equal or larger bougie yamadori), when do you begin removing shoots? When you remove them, how do you choose which branch to keep if >1 are growing from the same spot, do you remove the more or less mature one?

Thanks for any advice on this, I know from my experience with bougies that areas where there's too-many shoots get thin shoots, compared to areas with less shoots that end up much thicker - here's an illustration of those, respectively, from the same bougie (one side had more shoots than the other):
View attachment 156685View attachment 156686

In the left photo, on the side that had many more shoots, I've removed a good amount but should've removed more, sooner, I think - I've noticed that, at least with bougies, they can have a tendency towards growing more foliage than their roots can support (leading to incredibly quick-to-wilt foliage on hot days), am really starting to think that it's not only worth removing redundant shoots for aesthetic reasons but also to reduce the load on that section of roots!

IMG_5715.JPG

This is what it looks like now. Currently letting some shoot grow out to thicken up. I've noticed rotating the tree once a week helps both sides grow equally as I was experiencing the same thing with one side being thicker.

Now with the shoots. A crape myrtle is an extremely hardy tree and it's kind of impossible to kill one lol. With that being said I remove unwanted shoots as soon as possible so they don't create a knuckle on the trunk and have that take away from the sleekness of the trunk.

It is pretty easy to hard chop and pull out of the ground at the same time same thing as I said above they tend to be very hardy.

Now with the branch selection I don't really have a go to method other than picking the one that suits the position I want the branch to be in.

I tried to balance out the shoot and do a branch selection very early. A little earlier than most trees because of the statement you made where they tend to be smaller where they develop more and thicker where they develop less. I balance out the whole tree to help distribute the energy more evenely. But also if I want something to thicken up I let it grow out and if I don't want it to thicken I cut it back obviously, as you can see from my pic. I'm letting the apex grow out a lot to give it some taper as the top of the trunk wasn't as thin as I wanted it to be.

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
View attachment 156778

This is what it looks like now. Currently letting some shoot grow out to thicken up. I've noticed rotating the tree once a week helps both sides grow equally as I was experiencing the same thing with one side being thicker.

Now with the shoots. A crape myrtle is an extremely hardy tree and it's kind of impossible to kill one lol. With that being said I remove unwanted shoots as soon as possible so they don't create a knuckle on the trunk and have that take away from the sleekness of the trunk.

It is pretty easy to hard chop and pull out of the ground at the same time same thing as I said above they tend to be very hardy.

Now with the branch selection I don't really have a go to method other than picking the one that suits the position I want the branch to be in.

I tried to balance out the shoot and do a branch selection very early. A little earlier than most trees because of the statement you made where they tend to be smaller where they develop more and thicker where they develop less. I balance out the whole tree to help distribute the energy more evenely. But also if I want something to thicken up I let it grow out and if I don't want it to thicken I cut it back obviously, as you can see from my pic. I'm letting the apex grow out a lot to give it some taper as the top of the trunk wasn't as thin as I wanted it to be.
Thanks for posting that! And yeah I *think* I've noticed rotation helping, I do it with most of my plants regardless but with the crape the shoots grow directionally in a way that rotating it actually matters! I can't believe I'm about to say this because of the shit I'll probably get but I've been using small smooth stones to wedge between the bases of the shoots and the trunk, to make the branches leave the trunk at less-steep angles than this strongly apically-dominant specie would like! I started it a few weeks ago on a couple shoots, they kept growing like weeds so I did more and now I've got most of them 'wedged', they're all still growing very fast so think it worked! Once the bases have lignified I'll be able to drop the rocks out and I'll have my non-straight-upward shoots :D

[edit- and re the top of your trunk, at least you don't have inverse-taper like mine! Unsure whether I'll be able to figure out something funky with carving down the road, or just have to remove that whole section, but the top of mine has a large bulge!]

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Eddy - looks good, great idea to add another one.......that close to the house my wife would have insisted that it be grey to match the siding lol.

Top Bottom