bulb

mrme

Sapling
Reaction score
I have a pot light that will be placed a few feet above my plant. there is no natural light in the area. the housing is a typical pot light (not for plants) it is the type that sits flush to the wall and has everything in the ceiling (except im my case it is about 1- 3 feet above the plant.

The current bulb is a
----GU10 LED bulb--- (L5sm)
120 V 60 Hz 5 W 3000k 40D
23569 Dimmable
45 ma 3

So, can i change this bulb for one that is good from growing plants.

Stiple

Sapling
Reaction score
That doesn't sound anywhere close to being remotely bright enough. Growing things inside requires very bright light. Very bright.

Minimum lumens should be over 5,000, especially if its 2 to 3 feet away.

Google grow lights. Dont be afraid to look at cannabis forums for lighting suggestions. Or search here in the tropical section, therrs a few of us bonsai nuts growing bonsai indoors.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I still have no idea what a "pot light" is, but that light isn't the right color for your plant anyways. You want something in the 6500K range.

mrme

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes i figured the light is no good. but my idea is to take this bulb out and replace it with another bulb that is compatible with the wats and what ever of the housing.

Only a few people do bonsai in doors ? i thought most was indoor. maybe its really hard ?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It isn't hard it just takes patience. Most bonsai are outdoor trees though. There are some trees that be indoors. But they have light and air requirements that have to be met in order to survive inside. Just because it feels good to us doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best environment for trees.

nportelli

Seed
Reaction score
If it's LED it's probably bright enough, but that isn't the issue, the issue is the color temperature. 3000k is a very yellow light. They call that warm, but it is not like natural sunlight. Closer is 5000k bright white LED's, but not sure if a normal one would be good to grow under. Not sure if the wavelength is right. If you look at LED grow lights they are all red and blue.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It isn't hard it just takes patience. Most bonsai are outdoor trees though. There are some trees that be indoors. But they have light and air requirements that have to be met in order to survive inside. Just because it feels good to us doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best environment for trees.

True, our HVAC systems tend to dessicate the average Bonsai . Add to that when you get a great moist warm environ around your inside Bonsai every pest within your state will change residence to your plant.

ed

mrme

Sapling
Reaction score
True, our HVAC systems tend to dessicate the average Bonsai . Add to that when you get a great moist warm environ around your inside Bonsai every pest within your state will change residence to your plant.

ed

OK, I just went out and bought a SUN BLASTER bulb. 26 watts 1700 lumen.
The chart on the back seems to show it gives off light between the 400 and 700 spectrum of varying units.

Again i Live in the cold Canadian weather. Inside the house it gets dry in the winter with the baseboard heaters fighting off the -20 c degree weather.

Now we are bringing up the air. There really is not much I can do for that. It is an ornamental piece and adding a humidifier is not appealing to me and not really worth it.

So what can i grow under this bulb, i mean what is the easiest/coolest thing that will not die on noob ?

My understanding is that trees in general grow outdoors and that is why tree in general live outdoors. Is there exceptions to this rule that do not require any more equipment purchases
Thank you

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You keep purchasing bulbs that claim to be good for growing plants. 98% of the time these are ripoffs. Your best bet would be to purchase a fluorescent bulb.

mrme

Sapling
Reaction score
You keep purchasing bulbs that claim to be good for growing plants. 98% of the time these are ripoffs. Your best bet would be to purchase a fluorescent bulb.

Thanks for the heads up. I really thought that the animation on the front of the package was a bit to happy. I usually would not have bought it. But this bulb was actually one of those fluorescent bulbs that fit in a regular bulb socket. on the back it shows what light spectrum it gives off on a chart.

I was reassured from a few people that anything in the 6000k color range was good.
this one was in that range, i could fit it in to my display cheaply and well.. to be honest, it had a chart on the back.

mrme

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I really thought that the animation on the front of the package was a bit to happy. I usually would not have bought it. But this bulb was actually one of those fluorescent bulbs that fit in a regular bulb socket. on the back it shows what light spectrum it gives off on a chart.

I was reassured from a few people that anything in the 6000k color range was good.
this one was in that range, i could fit it in to my display cheaply and well.. to be honest, it had a chart on the back.
you think a fluorescent in that spectrum could be enough ?
Id like to think i bought it from a reputable person. (I don't want to add a balas)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
.. to be honest, it had a chart on the back.

A chart shouldn't be the reason you believe it will work. Check out the packaging on SuperThrive. It helped end WW2. It's full of things like that to make you buy it, like the packaging on these so called "grow bulbs."

you think a fluorescent in that spectrum could be enough ?
Id like to think i bought it from a reputable person. (I don't want to add a balas)

I'm positive a fluorescent in the 6500K range would work. You don't have to add a ballast. From someone who's spent $800 in lighting I like to think I'm reputable.

mrme

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks just to let you know both plants are alive and well. the jade seems to be growing very fast, maybe twice the size.. ill post some pics soon. Im told the jades a slow grower on top of it.
And I keep the bulb on randomly through the day (not a good idea im sure)

Ill see if i bump in to a timer that can actually fit in to the back of the light switch box.. that would be perfect !

Top Bottom