bunch of trees for 30 euros (35$)

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Gents, ladies,

I have this opportunity to buy some trees for only 30 euros, or 35$ (in total for all trees):

- 5 craetagus monogyna
- 5 ulmus minor
- 5 corylus avellana
- 5 cornus sanguinea
- 5 prunus avium
- 5 quercus robur

Trees will be around 50-80cm (20-30 inches). Still have to wait & see if I can transform them into bonsai. Depends on quality of the trees - and the quality of my future trunk chops I guess.

Anyone any experience with these trees? I know Ulmus minor and quercus robur, but the others are somewhat unknown to me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve recently bought 11 plants over the course of last week because they were on discount

5 Japanese boxwoods

3 dwarf bottlebrush

2 hibiscus

1 star jasmine

All that cost be just over $20. Saved $50

Google the plants. It may be worth it. If you kill one or 2, it’s not a big deal. If you got the space, I’d say go for it

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those will probably be 2-3 year old plants I presume?
Buy them, put them in the ground. Work the roots and cut them back every 2-3 years and in 10 years you will have decent material to work with :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Craetagus monogyna is Hawthorn in English. Very tough and good for bonsai but quite slow to develop and ramify. Most hawthorn bonsai are from older, collected trees but you may be able to develop some smaller bonsai in a few years.
Corylus avellana is Hazelnut. Not often used as bonsai, maybe because it suckers freely and trunks take many years to thicken. Branches do not ramify well.
Cornus sanguinea is one of the plants called dogwood in English. Usually a multi stem shrub. I have not tried growing it so can't comment on bonsai ability but the multi stem probably means no thick trunk and lots of suckers to deal with.
Prunus avium is Cherry. P. avium usually has larger leaves than the favored Japanese species. All cherries are susceptible to a number of pests and diseases and require special pruning to maintain health and get flowers.

At 50-80 cm tall I would guess these are 1-2 year olds so probably still quite thin trunks.
30 euros is probably a good price for the bunch of trees but if your aim is bonsai you could probably get better plants. Ulmus is the only beginner friendly species in the list. Cheap is good for experimental work and learning but paying more for the start of trunks is well worth the extra outlay if you plan to have decent bonsai any time in the near future.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_20210930_182056.jpg
This is a Cornus sanguinea I dug up two years ago. It seems to be a good species for bonsai, grows fast and leaves reduce well.

This is not a proper bonsai, but for only two years I am happy with it.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree started its life as a sucker on a bush in my garden. The big leaf is from that bush, so these are genetically identical and used to be part of the same plant. So you can see that leaf reduction is pretty substantial.IMG_20210901_123410.jpg

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tnx for the replies guys. My plan is to select the most promising trees, put them in the ground for a few years and to sell the rest.

Top Bottom