BUNJIN RED PINE

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
How do you get a tofukuji in a tree deal???

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How do you get a tofukuji in a tree deal???

I don't know but somehow I did!? The pot however may not be worth as much as others since it is not signed but I do take Juan's word for it.

It's pretty amazing the beating this pine takes all day from the sun in such a small pot with no problem at all and sometimes it goes quite dry.

SantaFeBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't know but somehow I did!? The pot however may not be worth as much as others since it is not signed but I do take Juan's word for it.

It's pretty amazing the beating this pine takes all day from the sun in such a small pot with no problem at all and sometimes it goes quite dry.

Pines are the bomb 💣 so are tofukuji’s, even if unsigned 😎

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was thinking along the same lines. Not worried in the garden as it can stay as is but if I ever exhibit this tree... what to do!?

Granite poultry grit - either size 3 chicken grit (aka "layer" grit) or size 1 (the smaller of the two sizes) turkey grit. It is 100% crushed and graded granite and weighs a ton. Make sure it is granite and not flint or stainless steel - they make poultry grit out of a lot of stuff. I buy Gran-I-Grit. 50 lb bag costs less than $10. Put it in a 9" cascade pot if you want it to weigh as much as a bowling ball :)

Scratch-and-Peck-Feeds-Girt-Size-Comparison.jpg

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any updates on this beautiful pine? Akamatsu are one of my favourite pine species and they have no troubles with my zone 3/4 climate buried under the snow for the winter! My seedlings have survived 2 winters so far so I’m quite hopeful. They are grown from a Manchurian seed source so perhaps they are more hardy than the red pines that grow on the Japanese islands.

I was quite surprised of the extent of the natural range of Pinus densiflora! They grow as far north as outer Manchuria in Russia.

The natural range map of Japanese red pine is from the American Conifer Society

Attachments

• 83F25F3B-38B4-4C07-A152-F8A02BD8EC97.png
    83F25F3B-38B4-4C07-A152-F8A02BD8EC97.png
    54 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No updates yet but recognize I should post one up. I am repotting it this spring and need to thin and simplify the canopy as I think it looks a bit too lush and heavy. As soon as that work is done I will try and post pics.

Viridian Bonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No updates yet but recognize I should post one up. I am repotting it this spring and need to thin and simplify the canopy as I think it looks a bit too lush and heavy. As soon as that work is done I will try and post pics.
Looking forward to it!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry, it's been a while since I posted an update. Just had a chance to rework it cutting back several unnecessary branches to lighten the canopy. Last spring it was repotted and changed the planting angle to try and enhance further the expressiveness of the trunk line. The strength of the buds is pretty well balanced at this point.

IMG_5054 copy a.jpg

IMG_5034 copy.jpg

IMG_5032 copy.jpg

IMG_5037 copy.jpg

As a quick reminder this is what the tree looked liked in December, 2016.

IMG_9113_zps1qrll7d2.jpg

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Planting angle and change of position for key branches branch, nice improvement to overall movement, compactness and sense of unity. Also seems to make better use of the base. I like it a lot.

Thanks Frank. One more huge benefit to the new planting angle.... it actually stands on its own now. It didn't before!

Corwyn13

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how do you create the sharp bend at the top ( highlighted in pic #6)?

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
pretty amazing! I would have hell or high water trying to keep that thing watered with my schedule?

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Previous planting angle reminds me of an elderly man, hobbling on a cane, very unbalanced. The new one is both more balanced, and a little more "alive" looking. In a sense, I think it lost a bit of the sense of age, but also most of the anxiety that the instability--both visual and structural--has been alleviated. Love it!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
pretty amazing! I would have hell or high water trying to keep that thing watered with my schedule?

Although... pines in general are probably one of the best to keep if you have a schedule that does not allow for regular water check -ins 😌

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Previous planting angle reminds me of an elderly man, hobbling on a cane, very unbalanced. The new one is both more balanced, and a little more "alive" looking. In a sense, I think it lost a bit of the sense of age, but also most of the anxiety that the instability--both visual and structural--has been alleviated. Love it!

Thanks Will. Yes I see that too. The heavy lean started to bother me visually not to mention the instability!

Top Bottom