BUNJIN RED PINE

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This Japanese red pine (pinus densiflora) was purchased from Juan Andrade back in December 2017 at the Winter Silhouette Show. According to Juan, it was originally created from a young tree collected in the mountains of Japan. The tree was purchased fully wired. At the time its design consisted of two main foliage tiers (see below). The tree stands just shy of 14" from its base and potted in an unsigned hand made tofukuji container.

This is the first photo I took of it when I returned home from the Winter Silhouette.

IMG_9113_zpssptb0pb8.JPG

September 2018. Filled out quite a bit!

IMG_9363_zpsdlxkqnti.JPG

Fast forward to June 2019. The pine was thinned and decandled about 2 weeks ago. Branches were then wired into position. Since the tree had developed well from the time of purchase, I was able to create different tiers of foliage in this new styling work as seen below. Now waiting for the new candles to form.

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2576.jpg

IMG_2579.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree. Interesting pot as well. I see you have the tree anchored down very well.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This Japanese red pine (pinus densiflora) was purchased from Juan Andrade back in December 2017 at the Winter Silhouette Show. According to Juan, it was originally created from a young tree collected in the mountains of Japan. The tree was purchased fully wired. At the time its design consisted of two main foliage tiers (see below). The tree stands just shy of 14" from its base and potted in an unsigned hand made tofukuji container.

This is the first photo I took of it when I returned home from the Winter Silhouette.

View attachment 250814

View attachment 250815

Fast forward to June 2019. The pine was thinned and decandled about 2 weeks ago. Branches were then wired into position. Since the tree had developed well from the time of purchase, I was able to create different tiers of foliage in this new styling work as seen below. Now waiting for the new candles to form.

View attachment 250835

View attachment 250836

View attachment 250837

View attachment 250838

View attachment 250839

View attachment 250843
Love the bark and the movement. Nice progress on the foliage!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lovely tree. Is it tied to the base all the time? Must be nerve tingler showing it when you have to set it free.

D

Deleted member 21616

love the movement, and i like where it’s going with the additional tiers!

nice move with the stand too! it’s amazing how something so simple totally changes the composition!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Lovely tree. Is it tied to the base all the time? Must be nerve tingler showing it when you have to set it free.

Yes always, otherwise it falls forward. I will need to find a solution. I'd hate to change the pot as I think it is perfect for this tree so will need to think of something else?

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

View attachment 250814

View attachment 250815

View attachment 250835

View attachment 250836

View attachment 250837

View attachment 250838

View attachment 250839

View attachment 250843
Can't tell ya how much I love this 😍

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
love the movement, and i like where it’s going with the additional tiers!

nice move with the stand too! it’s amazing how something so simple totally changes the composition!

Brought to you by your favorite potter... Koyo ;). Love rectangular pots!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
All I know is that I should’ve bought this tree when I had the chance… Great job, Sergio!

Thanks Dave! As you know, it's not everyday that you see a nice red pine for sale here in the US. When I first saw it from a distance, I thought perhaps a black pine? But quickly realized it wasn't. Juan had it priced VERY reasonably so it was a no brainer!

Top Bottom