Bunjin Show, Literati Show

sean f

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
i really like this tree,was it at the USBNE?

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you very much. Yes, it was at the 3rd U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition in Rochester, NY, the greatest experience of my bonsai life.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Celtis laevigata (hackberry) 8 inches.

Attachments

• CELTIS_L.JPG
    CELTIS_L.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 252

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for posting the picture. This tree is an unusual choice for literati. Very nice.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
great thread! Hope to see more posters... I've got a sort of one, that I'll post when I get a chance to take a pic.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here's one I had higher hopes for, a collected Virginia Pine that stands over 4' tall. I collected it in '07 and it's never been very strong. It's the closest thing I have to a literati. Great bark and some nice natural Shari...that's about it.

IMAGE_6D543AAB-6123-47D6-B41A-A7FFDD7620D2.JPG

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Nice trees all! Love the apricot Fred.

"Here's one I had higher hopes for, a collected Virginia Pine that stands over 4' tall. I collected it in '07 and it's never been very strong. It's the closest thing I have to a literati. Great bark and some nice natural Shari...that's about it."

Brian, thats because it wants to come back to Virginia. ;)

Bob O

Last edited:

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the other bunjin I have, an ilex verticillata 'Winter Red." It is over 4 feet wide, and for that reason, the bark and other character marks don't show well except in very large photographs. Alert>>This photograph was taken last fall. I have since pruned a section at the end of the trunk, at the suggestion of Mary Miller. The photograph has been altered to reflect the pruning.

So, first picture is of the whole tree, and then a closeup of the bark.

Ilex V. bunjin.jpg

bark.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Just to rejuvenate this thread, here's a 8-inch bunjin I've been working on. It is a Virginia pine.

And thanks to John Romano for his article in small bunjin in this issue of International Bonsai.

Attachments

• 8-13 b.JPG
    8-13 b.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 8-13 c.JPG
    8-13 c.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 98
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Here's the other bunjin I have, an ilex verticillata 'Winter Red." It is over 4 feet wide, and for that reason, the bark and other character marks don't show well except in very large photographs. Alert>>This photograph was taken last fall. I have since pruned a section at the end of the trunk, at the suggestion of Mary Miller. The photograph has been altered to reflect the pruning.

So, first picture is of the whole tree, and then a closeup of the bark.

View attachment 25211

View attachment 25212
OH wow, this one is incredible - I wonder how it looks now?

It only looks about 1ft wide from the photos, it must be even more impressive in person.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
OH wow, this one is incredible - I wonder how it looks now?

It only looks about 1ft wide from the photos, it must be even more impressive in person.

I appreciate you reviving this old thread. I hadn't seen this before.

Those of you who posted here ten or more years ago, are you still around? I know some of you are, at least. How are your trees doing?

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a hawthorn I collected being trained in a literati style-work in progress.hawthorn.jpg

Top Bottom