Bunjin with Ben

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, it seems you have moved from "fertilizing tubes" to bags. Is there any significant advantage of bags?

The pic dated 26th Aug is much closer to my heart ( as a bunjin ).

Hi Ralf. Yes I’ve kind of moved away from the tubes. They leave a lot of fertilizer debris in the soil. The bags keep it all better contained.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A bit of cleanup and some detail wireing.

CB8E24D6-EFF6-4829-B7AE-0B3E7EEE0CEA.jpeg

I think I’ll darken the shari to make the deadwood stand out better from the bark.

S

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@markyscott , I've admired what you do and appreciate what you share and I've learned a lot from your posts.
So this is difficult to say, but for me this tree no longer shows the beautiful and elegant movement of the earlier pictures.

Agreed.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@markyscott , I've admired what you do and appreciate what you share and I've learned a lot from your posts.
So this is difficult to say, but for me this tree no longer shows the beautiful and elegant movement of the earlier pictures.
Well said.
And with all due respect, I agree as well.
The lower section of the trunk is too straight up and down .....it looked better leaning more to the right.....also, the big movement further up the trunk is now hidden.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Well said.
And with all due respect, I agree as well.
The lower section of the trunk is too straight up and down .....it looked better leaning more to the right.....also, the big movement further up the trunk is now hidden.

Very much appreciate the feedback. Looking at the picture I see what you mean. Bunjin is a tricky style for me and I appreciate feedback on the impression the tree made on you.

- Scott

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very much appreciate the feedback. Looking at the picture I see what you mean. Bunjin is a tricky style for me and I appreciate feedback on the impression the tree made on you.

- Scott

Pardon the crappy MS paint mockup. It does seem top heavy to me....what if you lightened it up like this:

CB8E24D6-EFF6-4829-B7AE-0B3E7EEE0CEA.jpeg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What happened to Jins:eek:? Huge loss. Trees first styling was definitely high point;).

Last edited:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes where? You seem to have found the least dynamic view possible for this tree for the front! The angle shown in post 6 is a winner.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That awesome trunk movement is still there......

But where?
Yes where? You seem to have found the least dynamic view possible for this tree for the front! The angle shown in post 6 is a winner.
I want to see all of the curves in the trunk.

Lol! Message heard! No one likes my front ?. Its a tricky balance between positioning the key branch and the trunk line - looks like I leaned too far the wrong way. I’ll rethink it.

S

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tricky balance

Aye! The best look was that heavy tilt...so far tilted though...near impossible to pot sensibly, anytime soon anyway.
Plus you kinda get what you get with thick branch positioning....so the canopy is gonna make more sense..mmm..in a sensible way!

But you can/could/should squeeze what you can out of that wiggle

We don't dislike your front!

We love that movement!

Hell with 2d though!

Sorce

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
here are the pics of your tree's front from the first styling up to now. I would remove some foliage on the crown of your tree, because it would look more like an old & real tree with very few foliage on it, in good balance with the thin trunk, imo

buis.jpeg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Why did you remove the jins?

They were extremely delicate. I tried preserving them as best as i could. However, one broke off during repotting, the other I found on the bench one morning. I thought about attempting to reattach, but, after considering their poor condition, decided instead to learn to appreciate the jinless version. Boxwoods are not junipers - Jin’s just don’t last forever.

S

Top Bottom