Bunzan pots?

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There is more about bunzan on that website, just click on their keywords to the right.

Also there are quite a few Bunzan pots for sale on ebay. I picked up a very small one but quite nice with that crazy glaze for a good price and shipping in unusually cheap (sometimes free) through some of the japanese sellers. You could pick one up from $35-$65 depending on the size. I haven't seen any above 6 inches though.

Nice pots. Just don't know what you could put in it the glaze is so crazy. Great to admire though.

Regards,

Rich

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well, to give you a little more info, the potters name is Echizen Bunzan. He's been making pots for Bonsai, to the best of my knowledge, for about 30 years. He primarily makes low cost production pots, sold in packs of like 9, with simple painting and glaze, either a burnished orange with black overglaze painting or white glaze with blue underglaze painting. Both are cheap! His multicolor glaze pots, like the one Sam has on his site, are very nice. Often with rope detailed rims, I think these pots look best with freeform flowering and fruiting shohin, such as Euonymous Sieboldii, spike winterhazel, winterberry, and Wisteria...then again, check this hornbeam in exactly the type pot we're talking about, very nice match!
http://www.yorozuen.info/yorozuen/tushinhanbai/Tokusenbonsai180/t09/t09.htm
Some of his higher end painting pots are also very nice...nothing approaching great modern painters like Gekkou or Yuzan, but good small overglaze paintings! I'll post a couple of nicer painting pots of his up on the blog for a couple examples in the next week.

Ryan
http://japanesepots.wordpress.com/

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Rich, I didn't even notice those links. Thanks for pointing them out. I'm still new when it comes to reading blogs...I tried to stay away from them for the longest time but recently started giving in. lol -- Yeah, the colors are crazy! I was wondering what someone would even match them with, but Ryan seems to have cleared that up ;)

Ryan, you're always so helpful...I admire how much you've learned about all of these different types of pots, and I'm assuming you must've done some research into the background of the potters and maybe even their cultural background. This must have taken you a lot of time to learn all of this, and I appreciate you sharing what you know. Anyway, I was assuming that these pots would be ideal for flowering trees -- in fact Wisteria is one that came immediately to mind upon viewing Sam's site. That hornbeam does look nice in that pot. It seems like the color/detail of the pot is subtle enough not to distract from the tree, but enough to compliment it.

I'm looking forward to any addition on your blog -- I've been obsessing over it for days now. lol

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks Axxon, Ive really only been intensively studying pots for About a year, but when I say intensively, I really mean obsessively! The next post should go up tonite, on the pots of Ino Shukuho, one of my favorites!

Top Bottom