Bur Oak chop and collection

harvdawg

Seed
Reaction score
Hello! I'm in eastern Iowa (5b) and have three Bur Oaks in a fence row I want to collect (pics tonight). First I want to try the 3-4" trunk, which has been pruned in past years about 2' high and is growing through a fence (I like the scars from the wire).

Everything I find says chop and dig them while growing actively, take as much tap root as I can, put in a big pot without doing much root work, submerge in water slowly lifting out over a month, and leave it alone til next summer. Sound right? Anyone have experience with these backbudding near the chop? I know there are no sure bets, but let me know what you think.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
"submerge in water slowly lifting out over a month"

Not sure what you mean by this. I only have experience collecting Coast live oak and do not with Bur oaks, but I would not keep anything in water for a month. I could be mis-understanding this. Also, I would cut the oak back in stages, or cut back higher than where you want the new buds to form. I've collected, then chopped an oak exactly where I wanted new buds and the trunk died back further down, leaving the top section dead. Also, just make a flat cut, don't angle it at first, you can do that in the future.

harvdawg

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! From what I understand, the Coast live oak is quite different than the more deciduous species, so perhaps that experience won't totally apply. I'm basing my proposed method above on two sources -

first this Harry Harrington article on English Oak: http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATquercus rootpruning and repotting.htm
also this bonsainut thread that contains some info from Leo on Bur Oaks, and others on chopping low: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/second-chop-in-first-year.25408/

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello! I'm in eastern Iowa (5b) and have three Bur Oaks in a fence row I want to collect (pics tonight). First I want to try the 3-4" trunk, which has been pruned in past years about 2' high and is growing through a fence (I like the scars from the wire).

Everything I find says chop and dig them while growing actively, take as much tap root as I can, put in a big pot without doing much root work, submerge in water slowly lifting out over a month, and leave it alone til next summer. Sound right? Anyone have experience with these backbudding near the chop? I know there are no sure bets, but let me know what you think.

Where are pics:confused:? Many Oaks bud from trunk chops. Not always where is desired. Maybe cut back in stages over time.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the hurricane had me miss ya!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@harvdawg - thanks for the compliment, hope I don't steer you wrong.

I think your oaks in the fence row sound perfect. I only recently found this thread. If you have not collected yet, end of September is probably too late.

I would collect the deciduous North American oaks, as you said, after first leaves are well developed, basically after the summer solstice. I read the bonsai4me article, I would not submerge the tree. Sorry, too likely to cause more issues. Watering daily might be a better option.

I have a couple seedling oaks, maybe 6 years or so old. When I chop or prune these back, they sprout only at the nearest node. So chop them right down to where you want them.

So did you collect the oaks? Or will you do it 2018. I'd love to see how it goes. I think but oak could work well as bonsai.

Top Bottom