Bureaucratic Help from UK Folks, Please?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Might be out there a bit, but we have such a number of folks in the UK that I thought it'd worth the asking. Thanks for any new info!

So, my wife was born in a small local hospital in Bedford while her father was stationed near there with the US air force back in the day. Because she was born to a military family the US recognizes her citizenship here, but because she was born in a British hospital outside US jurisdiction she's technically a citizen there, too.

Either way, she routinely runs into problems with her birth certificate, which was issued in Bedfordshire, printed on that old heat print type paper, and after decades is largely unreadable.
How would we go about getting a replacement copy?
We've written the nearest consulate in Denver a few times over the years, but never heard back. I was hoping someone nearer Bedford might be able to lend us a hand finding out who and how to get in contact with about this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This has been an issue her entire life.
If it doesn't pan out, no worries. We're no strangers to it.

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a

Lutonian

Chumono
Reaction score
Luton, East Anglia, England, Great Britain
USDA Zone
9a

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What hospital was she born in as my home town Luton is in Bedfordshire and has a large hospital if she was born in this hospital you will to contact Luton Registration Service. or Luton council could hold the records https://m.luton.gov.uk/Page/Show/Co...-a-birth-death-or-marriage-certificate-1.aspx
Had to ask her mom. Bedford hospital, and yes, it was Chicksands! Small world!

You guys have been awesome!
Google has been surprisingly unhelpful with overseas searches for us, and with no experience with how record keeping works across the pond, what we could find wasn't working.
These links should help out allot.
Thank you all so much!

Top Bottom