Burl Display Slabs.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Over the years I've made a number of burl slabs that can be used for display of bonsai or other purposes. I plan to start offering them here on this thread.

Although some of these were from North American burls, the most attractive ones largely come from Australian eucalyptus burls. I bought a number of these burls years ago and had a fellow who was good with a large band saw slice them into slabs for me, mostly 1/2" to 3/4" thick - a little thicker than the traditional Japanese slabs, but attractive enough to me. After sanding to a very fine degree, a number of them were finished with hand rubbed varnish or other material, and a larger number were never covered with anything at all.

The pictures of the unvarnished ones are taken with them temporarily wetted with denatured alcohol to bring out the grain as if they were varnished, and I'll specify whether they are actually finished (and with what) or not. I'll also give the dimensions.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the names of all the different types of Australian burls. Sorry. Their beauty should speak for themselves, though. Here are several, and more will follow.

Prices do not include shipping. PM me if you are interested, but I have about 25 to load over the next few days, and you may want to wait and see them all before contacting me.

#10 - 1/2" X 11" X 23" Unfinished. $350.

#4 - 3/4" X 12" x 18" Unfinished. $250.

Attachments

• Slab-1A.jpg
    Slab-1A.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Slab-!B.jpg
    Slab-!B.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Slab-2A.jpg
    Slab-2A.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 62
  • Slab-2B.jpg
    Slab-2B.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#6. 3/4" X14" X 17". Unfinished - $350. (the photos on the ends - Attachment Management keeps screwing up the order, but should not be hard to sort out).

#2. 3/4" X 14" X 22". Varnish. Slight warping, and a small scratch - $200.

Attachments

• Slab-3A.jpg
    Slab-3A.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Slab-4A.jpg
    Slab-4A.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Slab-4B.jpg
    Slab-4B.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 49
  • Burl-3B.jpg
    Burl-3B.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Although some of these were from North American burls, the most attractive ones largely come from Australian eucalyptus burls. ...

Unfortunately, I don't recall the names of all the different types of Australian burls. Sorry. Their beauty should speak for themselves, though.

Agreed. Australian burls are among the best. :cool:

These could be the following (just my guess but a start to search online for a match)
#1 - Red Morrell
#2 - Red Mallee
#3 - Salmon Gum
#4 - Brown Mallee

Regarding warping...get a wet towel, place it on the concave side, apply a flat iron on it. The steam will make it bend the other way. A few clamps and plywood pieces can help ensure it stays flat later. :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nicely done. It is one thing to have access to some very nice raw material it is quite another to bring out the best in it. You have done just that. You have taken fantasy and turned it into reality, when the truth is it is very easy to turn nice material into kindling without a second thought.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed. Australian burls are among the best. :cool:

These could be the following (just my guess but a start to search online for a match)
#1 - Red Morrell
#2 - Red Mallee
#3 - Salmon Gum
#4 - Brown Mallee

Regarding warping...get a wet towel, place it on the concave side, apply a flat iron on it. The steam will make it bend the other way. A few clamps and plywood pieces can help ensure it stays flat later. :)

Thanks for the IDs, and the help with the warp repair idea for anyone who buys it. I have a pretty Vasticola, I think it is called, that is also warped a bit, that someone could flatten that way if they like.

I believe, as I now recall, that your IDs are correct, except the gummy one perhaps: I don't recall having purchased a Salmon Gum, but I could be wrong. Sounds like you know your burls! You'll enjoy the rest as I post them, I hope. Thanks again.

G52

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nicely done. It is one thing to have access to some very nice raw material it is quite another to bring out the best in it. You have done just that. You have taken fantasy and turned it into reality, when the truth is it is very easy to turn nice material into kindling without a second thought.

Thanks, Vance.

These pieces, especially the finished ones, were a lot of work, but a real labor of love. To bring out their beauty was a great joy and a great privilege for me. I'm glad you appreciate them for what they are.

Will

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sounds like you know your burls!
Thanks. I am "rusty" now actually but I used to really know them well. I spent a good bit of $$$$$ purchasing them and one friend is a big exporter of Australian burl caps. We've lost contact so not sure if he still does.

Proper ID is sometimes hard until you have it. Most sellers also mis-identify...esp burl caps which are normally coated in thick wax.

Burls esp. this size are starting to get scarce...it is actually a good investment IMHO.

I am sure anyone who buys these will be very pleased. :cool:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks, Vance.

These pieces, especially the finished ones, were a lot of work, but a real labor of love. To bring out their beauty was a great joy and a great privilege for me. I'm glad you appreciate them for what they are.

Will

I appreciate craftsmanship especially with wood but I am more pleased to see you posting again. There have been more than a few times over the last couple of years when I was ready to bail but then I got to thinking (something of a novelty for me) why should I let a bunch of Pendejos run me off a forum where I have vested a lot of time, content, and effort to participate in.

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I appreciate craftsmanship especially with wood but I am more pleased to see you posting again. There have been more than a few times over the last couple of years when I was ready to bail but then I got to thinking (something of a novelty for me) why should I let a bunch of Pendejos run me off a forum where I have vested a lot of time, content, and effort to participate in.

:eek::eek::eek:

You flatter me . . . not that that's necessarily a bad thing, you understand . . .

I'll have to try that "thinking" thing - I've heard mostly good things about it. How is it done?

"Pendejos" - I like the sound of that! Is that some sort of bonsai infestation seen down in Mexico?

Posting again the last few days, I'm reminded how much time it takes to do even a cursory effort to prepare a tree for pictures, and shoot and process and post the pix and text. I'm impressed over all the time and effort you and others have put into the forum over the years, and I understand your point. At the rate my trees are selling (and the prices I'm asking may be unconscious safeguards against really cutting back or getting out of the hobby:rolleyes:) I may at the very least be back here posting on this thread for quite some time!

Another factor is that my practice is very busy these days, and the time available for other things is limited - OTOH, ObamaCare will likely reverse that "problem" as it continues to kick in, especially if it forces an "early retirement" scenario on me, which seems likely :) . . . Forward!

Will/G52

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two more before I hit the sack:

#18: 1 1/4" X 14" X 23", unfinished - #350.

#19: 1/2" X 16" 16", unfinished - $350.

Attachments

• Burl-19B.jpg
    Burl-19B.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Burl-19A.jpg
    Burl-19A.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Burl-18B.jpg
    Burl-18B.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Burl-18A.jpg
    Burl-18A.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 10

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Slab #1: 1 1/8" X 11" X 20", Varnished. Wax used to buff in past got down into small splits - can probably be removed if someone wants. May also flip the slab and use the other side, much like Slab #18. These two are from the same burl. $250.

Slab #20: 3/4" X 12" X 16", Unfinished - $ 250.

Attachments

• Burl-1A.jpg
    Burl-1A.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Burl-1B.jpg
    Burl-1B.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Burl-20A.jpg
    Burl-20A.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 7
  • Burl-20B.jpg
    Burl-20B.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Four views of Slab #11: 1 1/4" X 14" X 23", back - unvarnished & not sanded down, and front - varnished - $350.

("Attachment Management" is screwing up the order of these - and other photos - unpredictably. Hope you can sort them out.)

Attachments

• Burl-11D.jpg
    Burl-11D.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Burl-11C.jpg
    Burl-11C.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Burl-11B.jpg
    Burl-11B.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Burl-11A.jpg
    Burl-11A.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#3: 1/2" X 14" X 18", unfinished - $300.

#7: 1/2" X 10" X 12", unfinished - $250.

Attachments

• Slab-7B.jpg
    Slab-7B.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Slab-7A.jpg
    Slab-7A.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Slab-3B.jpg
    Slab-3B.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Slab-3A.jpg
    Slab-3A.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 5

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#8: 1/2" X 11" X 15", unfinished - $300.

#9: 3/4" x 12" X 22", unfinished - $350.

Attachments

• Slab-8A.jpg
    Slab-8A.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Slab-8B.jpg
    Slab-8B.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Slab-9A.jpg
    Slab-9A.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Slab-9B.jpg
    Slab-9B.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 11

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#13: 3/4" X 10" X 19", unfinished - $250.

#12: 3/4" X 10" X 15", unfinished - $200.

Attachments

• Slab-13B.jpg
    Slab-13B.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Slab-13A.jpg
    Slab-13A.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Slab-12B.jpg
    Slab-12B.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Slab-12A.jpg
    Slab-12A.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 4

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#14: 3/4" X 8" X 21", unfinished - $250.

#15: 3/4" X 11" X 16", unfinished - $250.

Attachments

• Slab-15B.jpg
    Slab-15B.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Slab-15A.jpg
    Slab-15A.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Slab-14B.jpg
    Slab-14B.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Slab-14A.jpg
    Slab-14A.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 3

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
#16: 3/4" X 7" X 15", unfinished, very slight warping - $150.

#21: 1/2" X 10" X 21", unfinished - $350.

Attachments

• Slab-16A.jpg
    Slab-16A.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Slab-16B.jpg
    Slab-16B.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Slab-21A.jpg
    Slab-21A.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Slab-21B.jpg
    Slab-21B.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 10

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
:eek::eek::eek:

You flatter me . . . not that that's necessarily a bad thing, you understand . . .

I'll have to try that "thinking" thing - I've heard mostly good things about it. How is it done?

"Pendejos" - I like the sound of that! Is that some sort of bonsai infestation seen down in Mexico?

Posting again the last few days, I'm reminded how much time it takes to do even a cursory effort to prepare a tree for pictures, and shoot and process and post the pix and text. I'm impressed over all the time and effort you and others have put into the forum over the years, and I understand your point. At the rate my trees are selling (and the prices I'm asking may be unconscious safeguards against really cutting back or getting out of the hobby:rolleyes:) I may at the very least be back here posting on this thread for quite some time!

Another factor is that my practice is very busy these days, and the time available for other things is limited - OTOH, ObamaCare will likely reverse that "problem" as it continues to kick in, especially if it forces an "early retirement" scenario on me, which seems likely :) . . . Forward!

Will/G52

It seems to me being forced to retire by the actions of some politician is something none of us should be forced to endure. I hope America wakes up before we are no longer America. Sorry for the quasi-political rant.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry for the quasi-political rant.

Yeah, keep it in the Bar, buddy . . . oh, wait . . . . . .

Well, let's keep it apolitical and bonsai-relevant here: When we're all receiving VA-style healthcare soon, will that have an impact on our ability to care for our bonsai? Does anybody here want one of these nice burl slabs to set their med bottles on, BTW?

[Speaking of the much-esteemed VA, with which I'm familiar from both sides, I get many ads/offers from "locum tenens" [rent-a-doc] companies all the time, and a fair number of them are for VA hospitals. Interestingly, unlike other ads, the qualifications at VA facilities specify that you don't need to be licensed in that state to work there, nor do you need to be board certified, nor do you even need to have certification in Advanced Cardiac - or even Basic - Life Support . . . but, you DO need to be able type 30 words per minute! Big Bro needs that data entered!]

Where was I? Certainly not at the Bar. Rant Off, and humble apologies. Bonsai. Yes, that's the ticket. Bonsai are nice. They display nicely on slabs produced by skilled workers from our Homeland. Buying these slabs, you can voluntarily redistribute your wealth, comrades, and help our Leader get this economy humming again.

Top Bottom