Burl Wood Display Slabs - Jiita

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
So, I finally got around to finishing some of the redwood burl. This one is a "Hanging" burl, so it has live edge all the way around, which is a rare feature of most display slabs for sale. I removed all the bark from the edges with an abrasive blaster (fine walnut shell), sanded the top up to 320, and finished using sanding sealer and traditional lacquer. This piece has no stain, so all the colors and patterns you see are 100% natural. It measures approximately 8"x7"x1/4" (I even signed the bottom with a wood burner, heh). I only got 3 slabs out of the burl, and kept one for myself. The other 2 will find their way to the eBay store sometime soon I'm sure. I will keep this thread updated with new styles and techniques... Enjoy! -=Brian=-

Attachments

• stands pots 018.jpg
    stands pots 018.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 130
  • stands pots 020.jpg
    stands pots 020.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 115
  • stands pots 021.jpg
    stands pots 021.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 119

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I enjoy making my own as well, and those you have created are very nicely done. Thanks for sharing those.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't have too many slabs for accents. Nice burl patterens.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! The process I use to slice burl is kind of tricky, and a little dangerous. The burl must be temporarily glued to a block of wood, so there is a flat edge to rest on the rip fence or miter gauge. Then it is just a matter of setting the fence on a giant band saw, and slicing to desired thickness. Just be careful to keep all fingers on the block...

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
This next stand was made using an entirely different process. It starts with raw burl, no special live edge at all. The shape is cut out with a band saw, edges beveled with a 40 grit belt sander, blow torched, sand blasted, top finish sanded to 320, and lacquered all over. This stand is made from very hard to find "lace" redwood burl, and measures approx. 8x4x1/4. These are all my first attempts at stands (though I was a Luthier for 2 years...), so please forgive the imperfections, and suggestions are always welcome. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 4-8-10 001.jpg
    4-8-10 001.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 102
  • 4-8-10 002.jpg
    4-8-10 002.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 100

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is one of the MANY buckeye burls I have been working on. This is the only one completely finished, and it turned out great. Not much has to be done to these guys as long as there is a natural edge all the way around. Just sand blast and finish. Pretty fun! -=Brian=-

Attachments

• 5-12 001.JPG
    5-12 001.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 5-12 002.jpg
    5-12 002.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 76

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
I had a few burls that were completely worm-ridden and I thought they were worthless. I decided to finish a couple anyway, and the worm holes gave them a sort of root-edge look. Interesting at least...

Attachments

• stands pots 002.JPG
    stands pots 002.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 77
  • stands pots 003.jpg
    stands pots 003.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 83

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I thought to try a different approach entirely by undercutting the base which leaves a dark shadow line around. I've done quite a few now and the effect is quite striking ( IMHO).Shadow cut manzanita base final B 3292020.jpgShadow cut manzanita underside 3272020.jpgManzanita base of 4192020.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They look nice. I like the idea, but wonder if the “floating” effect takes away from the visual anchoring stability of the slab itself? I’d have to see it in a display. On the other hand, having it upside down and 2 levels could be a very unique effect.

I really dig that last one you filled in with something blue. You can never have too many jiita.😜

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I purchase
Thanks for the kind words! The process I use to slice burl is kind of tricky, and a little dangerous. The burl must be temporarily glued to a block of wood, so there is a flat edge to rest on the rip fence or miter gauge. Then it is just a matter of setting the fence on a giant band saw, and slicing to desired thickness. Just be careful to keep all fingers on the block...
I will shop for and purchase an interesting log section and then cut it into 1 inch thick pancakes ( chainsaw ). After that I have a planer if it is under 12" in diameter, and a jig to flatten larger specimens. The goal is almost always to have a slab less than 1/2" thick ( and certainly around 1/4" thick if it has special movement or grain structure ). The last major show I was lucky to have two tables on display. I have a new idea to add sculptures to the display but need to wait for club meetings to return before I can get feedback.Mem Day craft show 2020-spectacular table_LI.jpgMem Day craft show 2020-3.jpgManzanita free form sculpture of 1022020.jpg214021Sculpture with stable brace added.JPG

Top Bottom