burlap sack question...

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I just picked up a Picea Pungens from the local nursery. They dont deal with the public but I got an inside guy now :D

It was wrapped in burlap. I removed the sack and slipped it into a nursery pot. It is a big ball of clay.

My question is... Should I do anything else to it now? Should I wait until spring to remove the clay or maybe remove some now. Maybe soak it in water to break it up a little...

The bottom of the trunk tapers in a little where the sack was tied, but there are a few limbs in the area that I am gonna use to fatten up that area hopefully.

Thanks as always,

Bill

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bill,
If you absolutely can't resist the urge to play with it remove only enough clay till you barely see the root tips. It really doesn't make sense though. This spruce has been happy in that burlap ball for a while, which shows evidence by the indentation from where the burlap was tied off. So whats another nine months when you are going to work the roots anyway.

Don't expect any branching from the trunk to make much of an impact on the indent where the burlap was tied. That in my experience is the problem with B+B material unless you are extremely picky and find on that hasn't out grown its bindings. Good luck on your Spruce undertaking.

BigBill

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks as always for the help Tom. The most important thing I have picked up since being on this forum is patience. With this being said I figured out quickly that I need several trees that way I always have something to do. Not being humorous I have A.D.D. and sometimes it doesnt lend itself to being patient. As it normally leads to several unfinished projects.

Bill

Top Bottom