burning bonsai

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I follow this blog - probably the best blog on the internet at this time. I thought today's posting was interesting...

http://kingii.blogspot.com/2010/06/79-san-juan-la-japonesa.html

DSCN2099.JPG

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the same thing happened to one of Guy Guidry's, but under a different set of circumstances.

Bob O

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Wish I could read spanish. This looks weird to me. For what reason is this bonsai being burned?

:confused:

Bob O

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I can't read it either. Could someone explain to us why this bonsai was burned?

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried translating it with GoogleChrome, but the direct translations are always a little messed up. When translated from Spanish to English it said:

"and at night fire! ... think it's crazy, but the Valencia burn more expensive things in the failures and nobody says anything"

I'm guessing it was dead, I can't believe that: 1. Anyone would waste a tree like that just for "fun" and 2. that something that was alive would burn that fast and with that big of flame...

hopefully it was dead

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Totally dead... there isn't an once of green on any of the needles. The fact that someone let a tree worth thousands of dollars die is more a shame than setting it on fire afterwards... :(

V

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Unless you can get that the tree was dead from the text, I think it was destroyed in anger. "but the Valencia burn more expensive things in the failures and nobody says anything" I take to mean that passionate artists sometimes destroy their works because they are not happy with it. Heavily carved furniture burns well and marble sculptures shatter when pushed over. Maybe this was just tree that died but could just as easily been alive but "flawed".

I don't think that small of tree would produce that kind of flame on it's own no matter how dry it was. Dead or alive, I think an accelerant was used.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
It's a great blog and I learn a lot from it - you can see on earlier post they work on JPB and I know exactly what to do now and when to do it.

If you looks at this picture, you can tell the tree was already dead. Anyway, scroll through the other posts, it's update almost daily with lost of amazing pictures.

DSCN2093+(1).jpg

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The night of Sant Juan, 23 of June, is the shortest of the year in the northern hemisphere and basically means the triumph of light over dark. The basic characteristics of these rituals are fire, water and the sun. Legend has it that the bonfires that burn on this night can cure diseases of the skin and cleanse the body and soul. One can even change a bad year into a good one simply by jumping over the bonfire a minimum of three times.

Fiesta de San Juan - late June, a major event in Valencia and all over Spain, celebrating the Summer Solstice and the longest day, with traditional festivities, including street parties, concerts and fireworks, together with parties well into the short night.

I still wouldnt burn any tree that beautiful though =)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
T The fact that someone let a tree worth thousands of dollars die is more a shame than setting it on fire afterwards... :(

V

Well, last summer there was a story on the japanese TV about a bonsai nursery in Ômiya where several masterpiece pines had died because, it was said, someone had spilled some weed-killer on them.
But a few weeks later, it was known that they had died from bad care and that the weed-killer story was just a desesperate attempt at covering the truth.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I believe that in some cases they destroy "inferior trees" to maintain a set market for "good" trees. You know us bonsaiist like a deal, so burn the discount stuff in favor of getting good price for good materials, takes that let me rescue that sad tree option away.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Maybe I should collect dead trees and make a bonfire with them one day?

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wow zombie thread is right! LOL

I looked at the blog and the pictures before it suggest that the tree was alive and sacrificed. At least from what I can tell it's a pine they are burning. and it's greener than green

From the looks of his eyes seems the "smoke" got to him :p

1516851141759.png

1516851152349.png

Same tree no?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When a cherished effort dies.
Burn, collect the ashes and ask a potter to make a glaze
for a pot.
Memories.
Good Day
Anthony

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it is being done to live trees, that is just stupid. I'm sorry.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unless you can get that the tree was dead from the text, I think it was destroyed in anger. "but the Valencia burn more expensive things in the failures and nobody says anything" I take to mean that passionate artists sometimes destroy their works because they are not happy with it. Heavily carved furniture burns well and marble sculptures shatter when pushed over. Maybe this was just tree that died but could just as easily been alive but "flawed".

I don't think that small of tree would produce that kind of flame on it's own no matter how dry it was. Dead or alive, I think an accelerant was used.

"failure" here is google's poor attempt at a translation of Fallas, a huge anual street celebration in Valencia where they make these giant sculptures of papier mache (satirical usually, quite stunning and awefully expensive) and burn them. Nothing to do with frustration or anger

Top Bottom