Burning Bush Black Aphids

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
Hershey, PA Plant Zone 6b South Central PA
USDA Zone
6b
Hello Folks,

I believe these are black aphids on my burning Bush bonsaI. How might I get rid of them?

Thanks for any help,

Bobby

Attachments

• BFEF7572-4A81-40C6-828F-22F231C2B780.jpeg
    BFEF7572-4A81-40C6-828F-22F231C2B780.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 32
  • E3CC8A03-FE31-47C7-BF3F-3FD84077C3AD.jpeg
    E3CC8A03-FE31-47C7-BF3F-3FD84077C3AD.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 951B37B8-763F-4F9B-9290-DC190CD73294.jpeg
    951B37B8-763F-4F9B-9290-DC190CD73294.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 33

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello Folks,

I believe these are black aphids on my burning Bush bonsaI. How might I get rid of them?

Thanks for any help,

Bobby

Yes those are aphids and a pretty bad case of them too.

You can try a strong stream of water and possibly damage and/or remove all the leaves at the same time (probably not a good idea)
Picking them off individually will take a while
or get some insecticide that kills aphids and spray the tree with it. Keep any pets away from it while you are doing this and until it dries

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes those are aphids and a pretty bad case of them too.

You can try a strong stream of water and possibly damage and/or remove all the leaves at the same time (probably not a good idea)
Picking them off individually will take a while
or get some insecticide that kills aphids and spray the tree with it. Keep any pets away from it while you are doing this and until it dries
I just saturated the tree with a solution of this stuff. Hopefully it’ll start to get rid of them.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just saturated the tree with a solution of this stuff. Hopefully it’ll start to get rid of them.

If they arent dead by tomorrow then you know it didnt work.

Yea that is body wash, not insecticidal soap....so IDK....Good luck I guess

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I had green aphids on some of my burning bushes and spent a few days blasting them off with water before I finally sprayed the trees with Bayer 3 in 1. Haven't seen a one since.

bobbywett

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If they arent dead by tomorrow then you know it didnt work.

Yea that is body wash, not insecticidal soap....so IDK....Good luck I guess
I had green aphids on some of my burning bushes and spent a few days blasting them off with water before I finally sprayed the trees with Bayer 3 in 1. Haven't seen a one since.
Thank you

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
Slightly old post and I was so close to also going the pesticide route out of concern for some of the trees affected that i wanted to share my learning for others.
I'm in the UK so recipes may change but our standard dish washing soap has taken care of some heavy infestations, the aphids can't breath if they have soap on their skin. I was considering insecticide sprays but this worked well and doesn't harm other beneficial organisms.

Mostly to experiment other organic alternatives to pesticide sprays I also sent out some ladybug larvae on a couple of fruit trees, an acer palmatum and a year old seedling that was particularly badly affected and was impressed by the results as well as some extra entertainment while I'm out staring at trees as you can actually fairly easily spot them rapidly binging on eggs and young aphids like an all you can eat buffet with amazing speed. Would highly recommend these and I'm keen to experiment with more biological controls in future.

I am also researching 'why' the aphids were here in the first place, I heard a horticultural theory about excess N which I can admit my circumstance may correlate towards as I knew I used high N chem fert really early on the acer which was worst hit, in turn it kicked out noticeably more than usual (even noticed by my dad who gave me the tree)
I'm wondering if you would perhaps consider did this tree also have extra N? really strong growth maybe more than usual?

Top Bottom