Burning Bush Collection

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi all,

My parents want a burning bush removed from their property, and I figured I would try my hand at turning it into a bonsai. I told them I would remove/collect it in the spring 2022.

This thing is a monster. I will need to cut it back significantly to turn it into something remotely resembling a pre-bonsai. Anyone with Euonymus alatus experience have any suggestions on timing the hard prune? Should I do it the same day as collection? Can the shrub tolerate that kind of hard prune just before removal from the ground? Maybe hard prune over winter in preparation? Not sure of the best practice with this particular species, and I can't seem to find much info on it.

Thanks!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you can wait until late March or April, it would be better for the survival of the plant

Don't Dig it up too late. Do it just as the buds begin to swell.

Yes you can prune it when you collect it. I advise you prepare ahead of time and get a large enough container and enough proper soil to put it. Have everything ready ahead of time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If you can wait until late March or April, it would be better for the survival of the plant

Don't Dig it up too late. Do it just as the buds begin to swell.

Yes you can prune it when you collect it. I advise you prepare ahead of time and get a large enough container and enough proper soil to put it. Have everything ready ahead of time.
Thanks!

Top Bottom