Burning bush first air layer attempt.

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hey everyone!! So I have an awesome burning bush at my townhome and I was looking for some guidance and opinions on what branch to take and most importantly when to do it. 15872414665996791161379621520605.jpg

Attachments

• 15872415123662244983116544480660.jpg
    15872415123662244983116544480660.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 15872415349471918372935459484687.jpg
    15872415349471918372935459484687.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 13

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is an older, I think original version of Burning Bush that is awesomer. More tree like, tinier leaves.

They've turned them into brighter red shrubs for these landscapes, without as good of characteristics for bonsai.

You may be able to find them in your oldest parks. I believe they were planted in another era, when they first became imported and popular. Between the 20's and 50's I reckon, but it can likely be researched.

I'm not telling you this to stop you from attempting this. For me, it's just hard to use that second best thing, and for some folks, if it can't be the best, they won't even do it.

So of course it's not a waste of time, but...
Maybe it is?

Don't get a ticket!

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I think you will find it quite difficult to get a layer on among all those branches. None of the trunks are really thick enough to bother.
Check those really low branches. Sometimes they already have some roots in the ground and you can just cut off an already rooted branch. At this time of year you hardly need any root. Even just a single white stump of root will be enough to keep it alive until it grows some more as long as you keep it protected and well watered for a few weeks.
Most of those branches would root quite easily as cuttings. much easier (though less reliable) than putting layers on there.

I guess this one is the dwarf type - Euonymus alata 'compacta' They grow pretty slow so don't expect to have great bonsai for quite a few years.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I just got one of these from a garden center for $10. I’m going to give it a shot.
This is a nice repot. There is another video of same species- different tree.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m having trouble with the whole repot in fall type trees tbh. I have to wait all winter to see if I killed it or not. I’m used to working with tropicals where I know in a week if I killed it.
These trees are considered invasive in some places so hopefully it will put up a good fight.

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yes I can completely agree with using the best species possible as far as something I would choose. However if what you are saying is correct, it wouldnt be that easy for me to find anything around where I live. Certainly not somewhere I would be able to create an air layer without drawing attention. My main reason for wanting to layer it is because it has cool bark, good fall colors, but most importantly I need practice layering for future projects.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes I can completely agree with using the best species possible as far as something I would choose. However if what you are saying is correct, it wouldnt be that easy for me to find anything around where I live. Certainly not somewhere I would be able to create an air layer without drawing attention. My main reason for wanting to layer it is because it has cool bark, good fall colors, but most importantly I need practice layering for future projects.

Taking a tree from someone else's property, even if you are paying rent to live there is not exactly Kosher. Euonymus, especially E. alata is common in the nursery trade, I am certain you could find a similar size specimen at a landscape nursery for less than $20. You could get a larger one for just a few dollars more.
The most common landscape Euonymus is E. alata, which is an species from China. There are 4 species of Euonymus native to North America, 2 of which you see occasionally in commercial landscape nurseries. E. americanus, and E. atropurpureus. "hearts a bursting" and eastern wahoo are names these Euonymus travel under. Why don't you shop around, you might find something better, and you don't have to dig it up in the dark of night.

Elmnewbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Well I own my townhome so not sure if it would really matter. However, I pay them for the upkeep of landscaping and what not. But I doubt they would even notice a trunk missing. The main reason I want to try it is for practice. In the next few years i plan to ground layer a Chinese elm I have due too a very poor nebari.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Just purchased and put this in the ground last year. It was 20$. Menards.
But yeah air layer away. I hope it works out!
Like u said, practice.

Top Bottom