Burning Bush

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have just let the tree go so far this spring. I just got it uncovered as I think that the chance of frost is past. I do notice that the tree seems to wilt easily and I wonder if that is due to some of the root work that I did last fall. I haven't decided if I want to wire the tree this spring or just let it grow freely this year. I do think that I need to get the roots in better shape.

Here is the tree as of yesterday. Please excuse the junk around the yard. It was suppose to be a yard work day not take pictures of your burning bush.

View attachment 103701 View attachment 103702 View attachment 103703 View attachment 103704
I think that I would let it be the rest of this year, let the roots recover. Then, if it has a good year, have at it in the winter/spring. Just my thoughts. I like that one!!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That looks like it is doing great. It is doing just what it is supposed to.

Leaving it until next spring is a good idea. Fertilize it heavily this season to build strength. Next spring I would do your final Major cut back. It would also be a good time to do any carving you have planned. Once you start building your branch structure it will limit accessibility.

You will also want to get some wire on your branches fairly soon. If you get good growth mid summer might not be a bad time. Once the shoots lignify it will be very difficult to get any movement out of the branch.

I do notice that the tree seems to wilt easily and I wonder if that is due to some of the root work that I did last fall.

I have found this to happen before the shoots have hardened off. I have not noticed it to cause any long term problems. I believe that the tree pushes so much growth in the spring that the shoots just don't have structural support. It is also using a lot of water to support this push of growth.

Keep your eye out for aphids. My tree seams to be particularly susceptible to them. I don't believe they would kill a tree but they can damage shoots as they are extending. I have had good luck with Bayer Advanced Tree and Shrub.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I still have having a hard time visualizing where I am going. I think that the biggest problem for me is that the tree has very little if any taper and any carving or branch removal that I do at the base is going to leave some very large scars. So I am still "looking and looking", I am so slow when it comes to cutting.

Along with the absence of a design plan right now I wonder how and if to wire right now, no plan, what to do? Am I going to be wiring to just wire or wiring something that is coming off shortly.

I am also wondering if after getting the strength of the plant back up if I can do some surface root work that may increase the illusion of some taper, don't know. Just another thought.

If I don't get this tree going in the right direction pretty soon I am going to have to find a better way to move it around, although in a 18" pot it still is a load.

Thanks for the help and information.

Jamie

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do notice that the tree seems to wilt easily

Looks good! Consider putting it in partial/filtered sun. You should see less wilt and the foliage normally will get deep green. In Fall put it back in full sun and it "should" give a real nice Fall color show. Well at least it is how it works here - potted.

Grimmy

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Grimmy -

How are you doing and are you building back some trees?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
20160501_121804.jpg

This is what I had back in May and it hasn't change much not even any color this fall. Still up in the air as to how to continue with this as there are so many trunks and nothing that is real dominant. Also a bit confused as to what to do next spring if I just leave the growth from this year as is. Suggestions? Thanks

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know that right now I have a "reduced" tree. I am just proceeding with caution. It is about a third of what it use to be.

Brian basically drew what I have in mind for a trunk other than I was thinking instead of a double trunk, three or four and creating a hollow on the left side of the base to create a wider span across the base. Thanks for the help.

Jamie

View attachment 74550
Three trunks was the same as I saw in your bush. Four trunks is generally considered undesirable in Bonsai I believeo_O.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 121217

This is what I had back in May and it hasn't change much not even any color this fall. Still up in the air as to how to continue with this as there are so many trunks and nothing that is real dominant. Also a bit confused as to what to do next spring if I just leave the growth from this year as is. Suggestions? Thanks

Nice change:D. Small enough now to transport to club meeting and ask for trunk selection idea from local guru(s). Remember however ultimate choice is yours;).

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I think you should go over this thread once again from the start.
Actually you already know the answer as you mentioned, too many trunks.
It makes it look like a bush and not a tree. I went over this thread, some good options were given, you should check again

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Small enough now to transport to club meeting and ask for trunk selection idea from local guru(s).

This is good advice. I know from experience that you can not design this tree with pictures. So much of the depth of the tree is lost.

You have some very talented professionals only 4 or 5 hours away who people fly across the country to see.

Since this tree is going to need carving. I would head over to Bremerton, WA and seek out Dan Robinson. In fact, after seeing his work in person, I would take any opportunity I could to work with him.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 121217

Hi, I haven't read the whole thread but I look at your tree now and it makes me want to spend a bunch of time going through trees on the following website to look for inspiration on how to proceed. They seem to be really good at dealing with kind of clumpy bases with lots of large trunks. http://www.animabonsai.com
Nice material.

Last edited:

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wirme - thanks for the link, I'm going to go through those trees. I appreciate it.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You will need to treat this tree very similar to the way the Oriental Hornbeams are treated in the link. The fine branching will need to be built from the stubs of the large branches that were removed. The difference is, what can be done with an Oriental Hornbeam in a year would probably take 4-5 years with a Burning Bush.

Random User

Reaction score
This might sound crazy, but you may wish to try it...

... take a piece of paper 3" square or more... get a pin or a needle, the smaller the better... make a pinhole in the centre of the paper... then set that bush on a table at eye level, and peep at that tree through the pinhole... you "might" find an acceptable direction by using my "back-woods-method"... and, its way faster than doing a mock up on the 'puter.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks, I'll give that a try this weekend when I have some time and it is light outside. This getting dark early is for the birds.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is that time again and I need to make a decision on what to do with this lump of growth. I keep looking and just don't see what to do. Anymore ideas? Thanks

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is the same as nothing has been cut. Will try to get one later today.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here it is, at least the top. The rest is still in bed.20170325_153039.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are snapping with this thing BTW!

I think you got it healthy enough to delete some big stuff.

I'd cut these reds, and cut elsewhere so the green is what remains....roughly from 2d.
aviary-image-1490527645089.jpeg

Cut these lines and consider full removal of 1 of those 2 dots.
aviary-image-1490527732247.jpeg

An effort to "open it up".

And keep (bottom pic) the left side up and a little left, and the right side moving heavy right.....to define its movement.

I think after this open up....

You can let it grow out again....

And then next year....

Remove all the rest of the heavy stuff up top. All the 3 branch bulges....
And begin to define your "second segments" of each trunk. Ish.

You like how I used the old pic! Lol!

Rough....but open it up, ditch most bulges...
And define movement.

Love this bush!

Sorce

Top Bottom