Burning Bush

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well it has been a tough time for this bush. Lost a big branch to winter, lost a couple to bugs now I lost another and something else is going on. It was doing so well. Seems the tree is deciding what branches are going to come off. Part of the tree looks healthy and then some of the leaves in another area look? Could this be a foot problem. Tree gets part shade for part of the day and full sun the balance. Too much Sun? Any ideas on how to help it recover20170718_200847.jpg 20170718_200908.jpg ?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here are a few more photos. 20170718_201017.jpg 20170718_201038.jpg 20170718_203148.jpg The normal looking leaves.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would probably look to the roots as a possible cause of your problems.

What kind of substrate do you have this in?

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is planted in about 1/3 lava rock, 1/3 1/4"+ mulch, and 1/3 potting soil. Drains well have been in this pot for an estimated 2 years.

At a loss as to why it is slowly dying back other than the bugs.

Should I repot now to see if I can get things changed around?

Jamie

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
20170806_125849.jpg 20170806_125908.jpg 20170806_131839.jpg The woes continue with this bush so I decided to pull it out of the pot. Seems not to use water as much, some dead and/or wilting leaves etc. Pulled from pot, roots look ok I think but soil was really wet. Mixed up some new soil with a bit drier mix, pruned a large knob that didn't have any feeders and put back into its pot. Here are a few photos, any comments?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn!

This thread makes ....made....me jelly so I don't open it too fast!

Bogus!

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks like the roots are in pretty good shape.

I would let it be for a bit now and see how things go. Find someplace with dappled shade to let it recover and avoid moving it too much.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks like the roots are in pretty good shape.

I would let it be for a bit now and see how things go. Find someplace with dappled shade to let it recover and avoid moving it too much.
I agree...dappled shade/sun and just let it sit for now. Keep watering as you would normally. Last year I had a burning bush that had similar problems. In my case the leaves even dried up and fell off...all the leaves....sort of like a no-color autumn in late July. My tree looked like a goner. I continued to water the bare trunk and branches for the rest of the season as if it was in full leaf. In my winter the tree/bush just sits outside in the snow and cold. When spring was near I clipped off all the branch tips as if I was doing regular burning bush pruning. I did this in Spring...just befor bud activity (call it late winter in March). Two weeks later buds formed all over every branch and the tree returned to full health. Burning bushes are tough characters.

In my case.....the continued care...even though the burning bush looked dead...kept the roots alive and building strength. There is only one flush of growth each year. The roots acted normal and pushed that next growth the following season as if nothing happened.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well it looks as I may have done the tree in. The repot to examine the roots combined with our hot weather is causing loss of most of the leaves and even the small branches are drying. I will continue to care for it until next spring but it sure seems like this is a long slide down hill.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well it looks as I may have done the tree in. The repot to examine the roots combined with our hot weather is causing loss of most of the leaves and even the small branches are drying. I will continue to care for it until next spring but it sure seems like this is a long slide down hill.
Keep up the care. Keep the roots moist but not soggy...if that makes sense. You may be surprised in Spring 2018.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As of yet, nothing this spring. Looks like I may have done this one in. Don't know what went wrong but will wait another week or so before scrapping it. Feeling kinda bad after this long.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As of yet, nothing this spring. Looks like I may have done this one in. Don't know what went wrong but will wait another week or so before scrapping it. Feeling kinda bad after this long.

I have several different plants that are still dormant and not certain if they will revive. I am certain it is Winter/Spring weather related and will hold on to them for at least another month to see what/if anything finally awakens. For the record the neighbor has some large boxwood and a large burning bush. The boxwood is acting normal with green foliage while the burning bush is barely budding. That is very late in these parts.

Grimmy

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Everything I have just started to bud last week. The buds on my burning bush are just starting to move. The ones in the landscape are about the same. It has been a cold spring in my area.

I would give it a couple of weeks at least. It might surprise you.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would like to be optimistic but given the poor year last year and the fact that it brother in the landscape has already started going great guns it just doesn't look good.
A lot of worrying about a plant to have it kick the bucket. Even with the tough year last year the roots looked ok. We will see.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It is bad news. Guess everything thing piled together was just too much. The roots looked good but it just didn't come around. Lots of work and worry for a bush that never got developed into anything. I have its twin growing in the ground still. It has never been collected and the thought of all that work it might not ever be collected. I was encouraged by the nice show of color that this bush had several falls ago. I almost feel that this size of tree is too much for me to handle anymore. Really makes me feel bad, four years of excitement, worry and care and I did it in for some unknown reason. There has to be a ratio, kill off 10 trees get on good one or something. I should have some really good ones coming along someday.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I remember my burning bush...still alive today...and healthy...had those dry off color, grey green, leaves that eventually fell off with the slightest touch. I defoliated the entire tree and just maintained it as if everything was normal. Jumped right back the next season. I keep in semi sun...under a large oak tree. I think I recall there being tiny insects creating the problem. Aphids I believe. Got rid of those after defoliating.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yep, mine just didn't come back, guess it was tired of years of torture.

Top Bottom