burning bush?

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep seeing these burning bush plants for sale all over the place... just wondering if any of you have used them or if you know how one would do being trained?
They seem to have nice looking "bark" for a younger plant and really nice fall colors.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a couple I am trying to develop. The one issue with them is that they dont seem to heal wounds very well which could be a problem.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I had one back when I lived in MA. They can make good bonsai, though you don't see many at all...underutilized? They're very cold hardy, back bud readily, grow roots aggressively, small leaf size, and have great summer and fall color. My only suggestion would be to start with a tree with a good sized trunk...you'll be waiting a long time otherwise.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had one back when I lived in MA. They can make good bonsai, though you don't see many at all...underutilized? They're very cold hardy, back bud readily, grow roots aggressively, small leaf size, and have great summer and fall color. My only suggestion would be to start with a tree with a good sized trunk...you'll be waiting a long time otherwise.

How did yours heal wounds? Did it heal or did they just sit there and not heal? LOL

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score

Cotyledon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Beware of spider mites & takes a while to get small twigs. Other than that I love mine:D

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice info guys thank you !

If I can get some extra $ un the next week I'll go pick one up and toss it in the ground.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice info guys thank you !

If I can get some extra $ un the next week I'll go pick one up and toss it in the grou

They are considered invasive in many areas. It is very common to find them in the woods where they have escaped cultivation. Since this is the time of year they turn bright red now is the best time of year to look for them. Take a drive this weekend and look in the woods they will be easy to spot. When you spot some find out who the owner is and ask if you can come in the spring to dig some up. Finding someone willing to let you collect should not be difficult.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finding someone willing to let you collect should not be difficult.

Yeah, this is one of those trees You can keep a new one one hand, from the nursery, and offer to trade it for a nice one in the ground.

I got 2 in my apts landscape I may trade!
Fatty bases! Not shrublike branching.

Sorce

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I love the colour contrast when it fruits. I had one (a thick-trunk yamadori) a long time ago, when I was first trying out my wings and hadn't learned a damn thing about patience. So I chopped the trunk and hard-pruned the roots one day then stuck into a pot that was much too small, during the wrong season, and in a soil that promoted “wet feet”. I think it survived about 3 days.
Spindle tree 001.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
chopped the trunk and hard-pruned the roots one day then stuck into a pot that was much too small, during the wrong season, and in a soil that promoted “wet feet”.

Seems the tree itself was asking you a question in regards to this treatment!

Y

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tough, respond well to collecting and a shallow root system. Just remember they only give you one flush of leaves per year so they're slower to develop ramification than most deciduous trees.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Seems the tree itself was asking you a question in regards to this treatment!

Y

Sorce

smiley-die-laughing.gif

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tough, respond well to collecting and a shallow root system. Just remember they only give you one flush of leaves per year so they're slower to develop ramification than most deciduous trees.

OK, maybe not THAT tough.....

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I chopped the trunk and hard-pruned the roots one day then stuck into a pot that was much too small, during the wrong season, and in a soil that promoted “wet feet”.

If you had done all that in the spring before bud break it's likely the tree would not have skipped a beat.

You get one flush of growth and that's it. Do not cut back hard during the growing season. I'll amend this with, unless there is still a significant about of foliage still on the tree. You can cut back but whatever is on the tree is all you got. It is not going to grow more.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
If you had done all that in the spring before bud break it's likely the tree would not have skipped a beat.

You get one flush of growth and that's it. Do not cut back hard during the growing season. I'll amend this with, unless there is still a significant about of foliage still on the tree. You can cut back but whatever is on the tree is all you got. It is not going to grow more.

It was back in nineteen hundred and ninety-nine when I killed that poor tree. I don't think that I can resurrect it now.

Top Bottom