Burnt it with High Nitrogen

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
About 3 months ago i applied green dream about a tablespoon size. High Nitrogen!

Its a small Elm purchased in the UK, and its in a small shallow oval cream pot. You know that type!

Anyway after applying it all the leafs became brown and crispy. None of the leafs have grown back over the summer its now bare. I’ve scratched the fine twigs etc and its still green. So its alive. When will it produce new buds again? Next spring?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Three months on an elm doesn't sound good. After burning leaves on an elm you should see almost instant rebudding.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hard to believe a 7-5-5 fertilizer would do that. I triple dose mine with 20-20-20 in organic. If in inorganic I go up to 7 times the dose. Never had a problem with either... Sounds more like the plant was allowed to dry out - they love water here...

Grimmy

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds Fall.

The first tree is way early here. Locust/maple.
Probly them ones that began in February.

This is already the earliest fall I've witnessed in my 7 seasons.

It's been showing itself here lately.

A lot of trees are going an ass ugly fall dormant cause they are confused.
Seems they are going from these mild fungal infections or mite breakouts directly to full dormancy.

Just beware the climate shift.
It is definitely effecting us!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
About 3 months ago i applied green dream about a tablespoon size. High Nitrogen!

Its a small Elm purchased in the UK, and its in a small shallow oval cream pot. You know that type!

Anyway after applying it all the leafs became brown and crispy. None of the leafs have grown back over the summer its now bare. I’ve scratched the fine twigs etc and its still green. So its alive. When will it produce new buds again? Next spring?

a table spoon of slow release firt isnt going to burn the roots mate, that is only a small amount and on top of that it leeches into the soil slowly. like someone said, you probably allowed the shallow pot to get too dry on more than one occasion. a chinese elm might push out some new buds, a cork bark elm that drops all its leaves over winter, probably wont as it will be preparing to go into dormancy or dying, same goes for an english elm.

you didnt say what type of elm, not all elms act the same way

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was the high nitrogen green dream i used.

Still, that is 15-3-8, not a lot especially for a slow release. Trees can get confused by odd weather patterns as @sorce said. I would let it be and not allow it to dry out as it could be dormant.
Also, you might want to research anthracnose - it may need treatment.

Grimmy

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Picture would help !

Cream white pot ulmus malsai probably
If it is:
With malsai the soil often is so compacted that water drains trough the sides of the soil and pot
Poke some holes in the soil and submerge the pot in a bucket of water for half an hour mostly helps to decompact the soil alittle

Most likely soil issues not the fert

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will it bounce back guys
Maybe...as long as there is green cambium when you scratch the trunk, there is a chance. But 3 months without any growth on an elm during prime growing season is not a good sign.

Put me in the "I doubt it was the fertilizer" camp. Someone asked what type of elm it is, can you tell us? Maybe post a pic? If it were mine, I might unpot it to see if the roots look healthy, and then go from there.

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Its a chinese elm from Kaizenbonsai

Attachments

• 82C679D1-1A57-4F71-A503-FD004577F15A.jpeg
    82C679D1-1A57-4F71-A503-FD004577F15A.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 62
  • B49DECC1-157C-4FC9-B9C0-609B730F6413.jpeg
    B49DECC1-157C-4FC9-B9C0-609B730F6413.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 616EAC25-2FC4-4E34-84F5-4228F9DC3BD0.jpeg
    616EAC25-2FC4-4E34-84F5-4228F9DC3BD0.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 58

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No malsai so my comment can be considered useless then !

Soil looks realy wet tough if you can give it shelter from rain and stop watering untill the the soil is dried up some
hope it pulls trough but doesnt look good with all this black branches

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I know of a Chinese Elm that remained leafless for 18 months before sending up a tiny sprout. It took 20 years for the owner to regrow it back to it's original size. If it isn't in the way, keep it moist, part sun, and forget about it. Most likely in terminal decline, but you never know.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its not taking up much water!be careful to let it dry outbefore watering,did you use any chemical ferts? Could be weak roots from to much water,prop one end up on a steep angle and let the soil dry,switch sides everyday till soil starts drying,you should only water when it dries out some,dont saturate it when uou do,the tree looks to be alive

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks dead, overstated soil and not enough - did you repot this?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That soil looks saturated. Even looks like it is sitting in water. If you've been keeping it this wet, there are probably no (or few) roots left. You can go one of two ways in my opinion: (1) tilt that pot and get as much water out as possible, then keep it much drier and cross your fingers (2) get it out of that soil, save whatever roots may be present (if any), and get it back into an open drier soil, essentially treating it like a cutting. I'd probably go with option 2. Give it winter protection (don't let it freeze). Good luck.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah that's bad....

Kinda upsetting bad, thinking about @ConorDash maple too.

A very non cliché WTF!

Sorce

I used a thin layer of green dream, on the top of all the trees substrate this season. I never knew an amount to use so I simply sprinkled it on covering the whole surface! Lol. But mine are in very inorganic mix, 100% in fact, so the fert and water go straight through mine.
The mix you get from kaizen is mostly organic, keeps hold of the water and fert for longer. How often did you water the elm? Or how did you monitor whether it needed watering?
I think that might tell us a bit more.

Top Bottom