Burr oak back budding

DeadwoodOriginal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I recently was given a nearly dead Burr Oak at a yard sale, from a guy who really didn't know what he was doing. If I had to guess its about 2-3 but I have no actual idea..it sits at about 3 feet and about as big around as a sharpie and the trunk is pretty pliable so I gave it a bend for some motion. Problem is branches have barely formed and are at the very top. I want to chop it down, but don't know if they will back bud below the first branches if I do. My only deciduous experience is with a few maples. Any advice on the species would be appreciated, but specifically I was wondering if I could chop it down below branches.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally? Too late in season to cut back any but dead parts🤔. Let any foliage put energy back in root storage for Winter. Cut back before leaf out in spring so all energy will go to new budding.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently was given a nearly dead Burr Oak at a yard sale, from a guy who really didn't know what he was doing. If I had to guess its about 2-3 but I have no actual idea..it sits at about 3 feet and about as big around as a sharpie and the trunk is pretty pliable so I gave it a bend for some motion. Problem is branches have barely formed and are at the very top. I want to chop it down, but don't know if they will back bud below the first branches if I do. My only deciduous experience is with a few maples. Any advice on the species would be appreciated, but specifically I was wondering if I could chop it down below branches.
Sure you can do that but not now. Too late to do that kind of work. Whatever backbudding you get will be killed by winter, as it won't have time to harden off. Next spring after danger of frost has passed is the time to do it.

Top Bottom