Burr oak/ just starting

Reaction score
Just starting learning about this stuff. Got a three year old Burr oak tree. The deer kept it trimmed and to save it my father cut it off. I have it now on a screened in porch. Gets about 6 hours of solid sunlight on a good day. I just was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do next. There are three shoots from the same general location, going in opposite directions. There is one bud directly under one of the shoots that is forming.

Attachments

• burroak1.jpg
    burroak1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 134
  • burroak2.jpg
    burroak2.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
yoooooooooo

Come on people it's cool! Do I cut one of the three shoots or do I keep three? Do I let it go wild for a while? When Should I re pot? Its been in the same pot outside for 3 years.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Well a bonsai book is a good place to start. As forums aren't always an instant information machine. My biggest recommendation is to be more patient, as it is a rather important skill in bonsai, and maybe the hardest to master.

But I would not cut any of those three shoots at all. Three branches coming out of the same exact spot can produce reverse taper, a bulge of sorts, but it looks pretty clearly that one of them is a bit lower than the other two. Furthermore the tree itself is quite small and has little foliage as is, instead of think about what to chop off I think you should let it grow freely. Preferably in the ground for a few years so it can put on some trunk girth.

Also, you may want to look into how the leaf size will reduce on bur oaks. I know that leaves on mature trees are quite large, and with a trunk that small this may not be the best possible candidate for bonsai. At least t the moment... stick it back in the ground and it'll beef up. Research other species you may want to work with that will do well in your area and have a small leaf size that lends itself easily to bonsai.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Come on people it's cool! Do I cut one of the three shoots or do I keep three? Do I let it go wild for a while? When Should I re pot? Its been in the same pot outside for 3 years.

Put it in a 5 gallon pot outside in full sun and beef it up. Keep it 36 - 40 inches tall and until then pinch and grow. Quercus macrocarpa or Bur Oak is normally very large so getting a 3 foot believable specimen will take awhile but certainly possible if you do not mind taking your time. We are working a few small American Elms here and although the leaf can get rather large we pinch them off at an inch to an inch and a half. I recently learned that I can cut branches back to the second node while they fatten up and that it helps with leaf reduction. I am pretty certain that would work for you as well. Again, time is what is needed most along with attention as large specimens can "get away" from you fast.

Update your profile so we know where you are located and the USDA zone, and welcome to B-Nut;)

Grimmy

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would keep the lower two branches pinched back and low, and let one go to about ten feet. Re-pot next spring, and keep the sacrifice stripped of low foliage to prevent shading out the other low branches.

Not sure how well the macrocarpa foliage will reduce, so find some elms or flowering plums to develop as well so you have more to do, and show five years from now.

syncros63

Seed
Reaction score
Need help folks, have a Burr Oak Seedling, one of twelve that sprouted.
New to the world/Art of Bonsai, seeking guidance please! I'm from Edmonton, Alberta. Canada
I need some serious help to get this dream up off the ground. Thanks for sharing, and hearing me out,looking forward to hearing from someone that will give me some solid advice.
Thanks for your tim/sharing
Rob

Attachments

• 1435465392076.jpg
    1435465392076.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 98

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
It is still a red oak. Its going to be slower than glaciation. Trade it in on a white oak.

Top Bottom