Burying surface roots...?

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have one of the mass produced Fukien tea bonsai, which all look exactly the same. It’s coming along nicely though. It does however have the usual surface roots, however I’d like to repot the tree and bury these, as I find them too striking and unbalanced. So.. is it possible to bury surface roots, or once they are surface, they always need to be exposed to air, etc?

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Bury it to the blue line and so cover the roots below. And yes... it’s covered in string.. it’s my first bonsai and we’ve been in lockdown for two months, with one more to go and I can’t get bonsai wire anywhere.....

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is no problem altering depth of planting. Despite the old talk of always planting to the same depth I have never come across a plant that has objected to either deeper or shallower planting.
Some trees just don't seem to notice deeper planting while others take the opportunity to grow new roots just below the surface like self layering. Trident maples are very strong on this new surface roots. Shimpaku junipers do it too. We have started to deep plant many Aussie natives for revegetation. The roots are deeper so have better moisture so survival is generally much better than traditional plantings. Many do as the tridents and grow new surface roots.

We regularly plant bonsai higher to expose roots. Sometimes just a little to show the nebari, sometimes much more for root over rock or exposed root style. This also occurs in nature where erosion removes soil from the base of trees along rivers or in windy locations. There are many old trees doing just fine with exposed roots.

I can see some rock among the roots so it appears your tree has been designed as a root over rock style bonsai. Attempts can be great or poor depending on the skill of the original grower and some luck thrown in. maybe clean it up so the rock can be seen properly first. If you still don't like the look just bury to cover.

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Great! Thanks for the feedback. It’s much appreciated. I’ll be repotting soon and will feedback how it goes

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reckon folks would either plant a tree too shallow and it'd tip over, or so deep that the old regular roots couldn't be watered correctly, that's why they had to recommend an optimal planting level, or the same planting level.

Reckon Any tree that's rootbound will sooner sprout higher roots, since it needs to grow new roots somewhere.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Reckon Any tree that's rootbound will sooner sprout higher roots, since it needs to grow new roots somewhere.
I believe it is more about trees needing surface roots to grab nutrients released from the decaying surface layer and to take advantage of lighter rainfall. Some deeper roots for stability and plenty of shallow ones to compete for resources sounds like a survival strategy to me.
I know that trident maples (even when well root pruned) planted deeper will quickly grow new roots just under the surface. I have used that to advantage to row new nebari (no layering required) or it can be a pain when a couple of new roots start growing in the grow beds and ruin the trunk taper on trees planted too deep. This does not seem to be from necessity just how they are programmed to respond to survive.

The idea of not planting deeper than before nay have come from grafted plants. If grafted trees are planted too deep the scion can root and negate any benefits the rootstock should be conferring to the tree. the 'rule' may then have moved to a general rule rather than a specific one.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I notice that you're using some surface roots as tie-downs for some of your string work. That is just going to exacerbate your root problem by pulling your larger roots upwards.

Instead, try tying a loop of string around the entire pot and use that to anchor any of the strings you are using to pull branches downwards. The same thing can be done with wire. You can also use the string around the pot method to push roots back into the soil (assuming you tie the loop tight enough). If you are worried about leaving a mark on the roots, place a small flat rock or piece of tile on top of the root first, and then tie it down.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A danger of repotting at a greater of lesser depth is not all that relevant for container growing. It is vitally important for ground growing of many species.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have a Gensing Ficus that I did the exact opposite thing to. When I repotted it, I noticed that it had beautiful roots beneath the surface, so I planted it higher in the pot to expose the roots. It has been a couple of years since I did it and the tree has never said that it didn't like it. ;) It just politely responded with new growth that spring. I think it will be fine.

Top Bottom