But SH** it was 99 cents!

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Check out this crazy deal I got guys! Legit $1 at a local nursery, this tree is very well established. Not sure on the variety but it is an old plant with a nice base! Gonna let it relax for the winter but talk about steal!

Attachments

• DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    419.6 KB · Views: 392

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Right. Is the color of the foliage just washed out in the picture or is it really that brown/yellow color?
Hey yeah the color on this thing is pretty brown / pale. It DEFINITELY needs some tlc and a repot. But for $1 it's definitely worth giving it a go. Spring will definitely be a repot and some tlc for this guy

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What a bargain! Any clue what type of Juni it is? That is a lot of trunk for a buck. Hope it gets real healthy and happy for you.

Keep in mind, some would say no matter the price a crappy piece of material is not worth adding to your collection... This is certainly no masterpiece as it sits today, but a Juniper with that much wood to work with has potential IMO, and it is Deff with a buck to see what you can make out of it!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye!

I like it!

Worse things have come back!

Score

Sorce

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's probably cold enough where you live that it's already showing winter color. Repot it in the spring and I bet it will green up nicely.

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it were mine, I would treat it with kid gloves until you know that it's healthy.

In the spring, I'd slip-pot it up a pot size or two, and fill in the excess space around the root ball with some good well-draining bonsai soil. If the root ball looks overgrown at all, maybe gently comb it out a little bit during the process, but I wouldn't do much more than that until you're sure it's healthy. After a season of getting it healthy, you can probably do a proper re-pot the following season if it needs it.

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What a bargain! Any clue what type of Juni it is? That is a lot of trunk for a buck. Hope it gets real healthy and happy for you.

Keep in mind, some would say no matter the price a crappy piece of material is not worth adding to your collection... This is certainly no masterpiece as it sits today, but a Juniper with that much wood to work with has potential IMO, and it is Deff with a buck to see what you can make out of it!
Yeah it's got a lot going for it as far in terms of trunk for sure. I don't know the variety, but it is a larger and corser scale foliage than my blauuw junipers. I don't see it being a problem to get this guy healthy, it's getting cold where I am so it could be fall colour as well

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It's probably cold enough where you live that it's already showing winter color. Repot it in the spring and I bet it will green up nicely.
Pretty sure this is exactly what it is. Grimmy was telling me the other night that this happens to his junis in the winter and they bounce back just fine.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pretty sure he doesn't want to feed in Canada in the winter time. Let it rest for the winter. :). The tree does look stressed, last pic shows juvinelle foliage

Rick

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Water it if not frozen - don't let it dry out anymore then it did at the Nursery. It should be ok in the Spring.

Grimmy

Top Bottom