Butterfly Bush

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought I posted this guy before I put him in the ground a number of years ago, but the search turned up nothing. Of well.

Got this from a bonsai nursery where the owner had died, and his wife occasionally just told me to dig up some overgrown things when I would go there to look around. I don't know of anyone that has made a decent bonsai out of this species because they're usually just a curiosity for their flowers, which attract butterflies, I am told. Usually they're sold as a small bush, and of course won't thicken up in pots.

It's not a great species for bonsai in terms of its foliage and ramification and wiring capacities, but its a big guy (about 3' tall) with a great deal of carving opportunities, so I'll be giving it to Dan Robinson.

Enjoy.

Butterfly Bush-1.jpg ButterflBush-2.jpg Butterfly bush-3.jpg Butterfly Bush-4.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing trunk for a butterfly bush. They grow around here but winter often kills them back to the ground, so we don't get trunks like that...unfortunately.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
We have tons of these things all over albuquerque, I think I need to go start asking some landowners around in spring.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought I posted this guy before I put him in the ground a number of years ago, but the search turned up nothing. Of well.

Got this from a bonsai nursery where the owner had died, and his wife occasionally just told me to dig up some overgrown things when I would go there to look around. I don't know of anyone that has made a decent bonsai out of this species because they're usually just a curiosity for their flowers, which attract butterflies, I am told. Usually they're sold as a small bush, and of course won't thicken up in pots.

It's not a great species for bonsai in terms of its foliage and ramification and wiring capacities, but its a big guy (about 3' tall) with a great deal of carving opportunities, so I'll be giving it to Dan Robinson.

Enjoy.

View attachment 88596 View attachment 88597 View attachment 88598 View attachment 88599

It will be interesting to see what he does with it! I must admit I have never seen any with that thick of a trunk...which makes it pretty impressive from the start.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My sister just had me cut out 3 in her front yard. They were huge. Like 6 or 7 inches at the ground. Since they are a bush it didn't occur to me to try and dig one up. Now I'm wishing I hadn't put agent orange on the cut stump.

Top Bottom